Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DD in mono

+2
joe82
MALCO
6 posters

Go down

DD in mono Empty DD in mono

Post  MALCO Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:32 pm

Hi all , I have a Gp3000. when detecting old diggings, if I put my 11"DDcoil into mono, the target signals are much sharper and a little clearer. My question is, and I know that only the left side of the coil is now working, but would I be better off buying a small mono coil, like a 6"round, or would it be no different than what I have? Even though only half the coil is in mono, thats 5.1/2 in x 11in , or is that not the way it works? Or is it not as sensitive as a true mono coil? Thanks .
Mal.
MALCO
MALCO
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2012-09-15

Back to top Go down

DD in mono Empty Re: DD in mono

Post  joe82 Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:45 pm

g'day mal, just wondering why are you changing into mono around old diggings (never herd of that?) do you have a mono coil or just the DD??? I mostly use the 14inch NF for general detecting and if im on old workings I switch to the 11inch commander mono, never thought to use the DD unless near powerlines or in really hot ground any info on this whould be great to no!!! cheers joe

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1156
Registration date : 2013-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post  MALCO Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:18 pm

Hi Joe, only the DD coil that the 3000 came out with. I have found that if I get a faint target responce, by switching to mono it makes the signal much sharper, but it does get a lot more ground noise ,or interference. But I'am wondering if I put a true mono coil on would it be the same or better, or even more noisy? Mal.
MALCO
MALCO
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:35 pm

G'day MALCO,

The true mono would be a bit more sensitive and you may find it a bit more noisy in mineralized ground. Also it may pick up more EMI than the DD would, but having said this your GP3000 may work fine with a mono coil. Very Happy

Cheers.

Mike.

Back to top Go down

Post  MALCO Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:29 pm

Hi Mike,I will have the chance to try a 8" round mono (I think it is 8") over the next couple of day after meeting up with someone I had previously met when at Wedderburn, so I will see how it goes before going out and buying one. He has a gpx 5000, and today he picked up some pin head size bits and some a bit bigger. 8 bits for 0.83gm, sure they are bloody small , but it just shows how sensitive the 5000 is with a small coil. Regards mal
MALCO
MALCO
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  joe82 Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:04 am

yeah mal give it a go mate, ya might be superised the 3000 is a good detector and I have no doubt that if its there, that's good goin with the 5000 and 8' coil may have to invest in one!

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1156
Registration date : 2013-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post  bonacini Sun May 10, 2015 4:33 pm

Hey just wondering how you went with comparison with 11" did in mono compared to the 8" mono, was the dd as sensitive in mono mode as technically it's a 5.5" x 11

bonacini
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2015-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hand Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:57 pm

stay with what works best for you a friend is running a extreme with a 11 commander DD using it as a mono over the last 5 months he has 200 pieces of gold for 1 OZ regards john Very Happy
Old Hand
Old Hand
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 431
Registration date : 2012-03-31

https://servimg.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MALCO Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:34 pm

Re comparison, the 8" coil was just way to noisy, I persisted for as long as I could on an area, then changed back to the DD and went over it again and snared a O.3gram bit, coincidence? maybe, but the GP3000 definitely works better with the DD coil. I still occasionally switch the DD to mono, but can't say I've found anything I wouldn't have anyway. Regards mal
MALCO
MALCO
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hand Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:35 am

My friend using a Exteme with a commander DD in mono tried 5X10 MONO AND A 5X10 DD the small mono was just to noisy the small dd was ok but he ended going back to the 11 inch commander dd he found that he was getting better results regards john Very Happy
Old Hand
Old Hand
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 431
Registration date : 2012-03-31

https://servimg.com

Back to top Go down

Post  geof_junk Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:06 pm

With DD coils, I found mono setting brings  up the smaller nuggets if they are shallow with a clearer louder beep but the deeper nuggets, it does not have a signal on mono but DD setting have a quiet mellow signal . However I only use a Mono coil now

Last edited by geof_junk on Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:05 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : corrrections)
geof_junk
geof_junk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 935
Registration date : 2008-11-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Dazza513 Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:15 am

https://youtu.be/9oJx
Here this coil comparison shows dd in mono aswell as the new detech flat/spiral wound dd coil.
Daryl

Dazza513
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2015-10-12

Back to top Go down