Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New to the forum from NSW

2 posters

Go down

New to the forum from NSW Empty New to the forum from NSW

Post  goldhunter86 Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:03 pm

Hey guys,

Longtime reader first time contributor. I have a gpx 5000 and have found a few nuggets here n there. I spent some time with Link and Kim from NFDU last year then due to a family reason had to sell my detector. Im back up and running now and am a little rusty. I went out to Hill End on Sunday fired up the old gpx and boy was the EMI terrible. She was singing like a choir group. I was in the middle of no where with no one around and I couldnt understand why it was all over the shop. Not a storm in sight. It drove me crazy. So i have to look over the settings and ensure everything is correct and give her another run through soon. Think ill call minelab and talk to them.

I went for a drive down the Bridle Track and geeze the river is nearly empty...... if anyone ever thought of going to get into spots that they couldnt before... now is your chance, shes all but dried up nearly at the crossing. I took some photos of the river and a video of a mountain we climbed in the 4X4 and ended up 800m above sea level looking over the whole of the valley. There was not a person in sight the whole trip. Ended up going out via the Root Hog Fire Trail, which on the other side of the river had diggings all nearby it as you come out. It was getting dark and wish i had a look at them a bit closer... has anyone else seen them?

Im hoping to head out to Ophir in the next 2 weeks, I hear it has been thrashed and am holding little luck to find any colour, but i guess its worth a try. I was hoping to take the quad down although id imagine its use is not allowed. I hear the best places to go are the ones people dont goto often. I wouldnt expect anyone to give away their spots but a direction or assistance in locating the elusive yellow stuff would be awesome.

Finally im based in Sydney. I wouldnt mind getting a mentor or someone to go out with.... even meeting a group of people to have a swing. im 27 the next gen in detecting i guess and would love to learn all about the things you guys have picked up.

Feel free to PM me or leave a message your input is greatly appreciated Smile

goldhunter86
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2013-12-03

Back to top Go down

New to the forum from NSW Empty Re: New to the forum from NSW

Post  Guest Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:41 pm

Welcome aboard goldhunter86
I can't help you as I am not from your area.
There is sure to be a few members here that might be able to help out.

Back to top Go down

Post  goldhunter86 Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:24 pm

Thanks jantje I'm hoping enough members see it Smile

goldhunter86
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:39 pm

G'day goldhunter86 and welcome to the forum. You may have more responses towards and over the weekend. Hope you find what you seek. Very Happy 

Cheers.

Mike. cheers 

Back to top Go down

Post  Wally69 Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:46 pm

Hi there goldhunter86, I am also a longtime reader, first time contributor

Also from Sydney, got a couple of years on you, so has my detector for that matter. I am keen to get back to Hill End and Sofala way myself having swung that way with the family earlier this year; no nuggets but did some panning with some success. Have checked out Ophir on google and would be keen to give that area a crack also.

Having learnt that the family has an inbuilt used by date when it comes to prospecting, I would be keen to get away occasionally with some like-minded folk.

In that regard, I second the challenge to see how many Sydneysiders are out there keen to getaway for some serious prospecting. If i can work out how to PM, i will do so.

Wally69
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-12-05

Back to top Go down

Post  goldhunter86 Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:38 pm

I went to ophir today having to goto kerrs creek which is not far. Ophir has been thrashed but in saying that has huuuuge potential especially for alluvials. I'd be keen to get my electric sluce onto the ground there. I brought back samples ill test. Detecting I've no idea id think maybe further out along the edges where less people go may be ok. Just get ur walking shoes on.
I'd love some help from people that have been there..... But I saw sets for diggings everywhere. But there's also a bit of water here n there. I hope to go next weekend

goldhunter86
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Wally69 Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:00 pm

Just convinced the family to run down to Grabben Gullen next weekend to look for sapphires and loop back though Tuena to detect/pan some yellow.

I have collected a few parts for a high banker project myself and would be keen to see some serious volume run through one, getting dirt from the right spot is obviously the trick.

I think your thoughts on tapping into some experience to pick up the tricks of the trade is the right way to go, no point reinventing the wheel. Good luck in Ophir, please post some feedback on how you go.

Wally69
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-12-05

Back to top Go down

Post  goldhunter86 Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:36 pm

Can do for sure. Problem is no one likes to share too much about their spots of course. I think I've officially got next weekend in ophir and will pan out the dirt I brought back and hopefully have some colour and a pic. I'm unsure about where I got it from ( as in its color value ) though no one else had been there lol

goldhunter86
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down