Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New to Forum..

2 posters

Go down

New to Forum.. Empty New to Forum..

Post  GypsyGoldAu Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:19 pm

Hi folks. Just a quick intro. from a new forum member, but no stranger to the FEVER. Live in the Vic GF and have been a bit quiet the last few years (gun shy after having most of my finds including my 1st bit stolen 5 yrs ago), but recently got the bug again and got out last week for the first time in over a year.

As luck would have it, my OEM (Feb. 07) GPX 4000 battery finally decided to give me the news it was time to retire, so for now i'm back out of the game till a 'fix' is complete  lol! .

Lucky that this week is a bit cat & mouse with the weather anyway, so it will be late next week before i get the battery back with a new heart to help me find some more colour (damn US spellcheck). Not much on technology so may not post pics (unless i can just post off my comp. files?) but enjoy seeing others finds, tho after 8yrs i'm yet to catch anything over 25gms.  No   Sad

Mayhap it will be this year..  sunny

Cheers
Gypsy

Last edited by GypsyGoldAu on Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
GypsyGoldAu
GypsyGoldAu
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2015-07-14

Back to top Go down

New to Forum.. Empty Re: New to Forum..

Post  Guest Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:24 pm

Hi Gypsie and welcome to the forum.

Its always great to meet an experience prospector(detectorist) and maybe hear one or two stories.

Its quite sad to read you had your finds stolen as we all know how much personally some of us are attached to our own finds.

Well hopefully the gold god will be kind to you and you get back into the game with some nicer nuggets.

They are hard to find these days but there are somewhere there.Living in GT is a massive plus as you can detect mostly anywhere.

Wish you all the best and looking forward to some interesting stories.

GoldEN

Back to top Go down

Post  GypsyGoldAu Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:23 pm

Hi Golden and Thank-you for the warm welcome. After posting i managed to mould my profile a little better and have now included a pic. of nuggets that made up my 1st OZ i found. Yes, it shows more than an Oz but the last nugget needed was only about 1.2gm required and i found a bigger bit than that so i was extremely happy.

My 1st ever bit was found nth of Maryborough township on a Coiltek day many years ago using a hired GPX3000 and it is the one in my avatar that is the far lower left on it's own and weighed 1.7gm after cleaning the dirt off. Every bit since has been long hard work with LOTS & Lots of dirt in between, filled with 1000's of targets not colour to keep me fit. HA!. Any way ya cut it, a bad day on the colour is MILES ahead of a good day at WORK  Cool   Laughing

I'm surprised the OEM battery has lasted me soooo long when compared to others experience, i hope the transplant gives me similar life (well actually better due to different care/storage process these days).

Mostly a detectorist to date, but with time & slowing of finds, the 'prospecting' side is coming into play, tho i wouldn't go so far as to say "experienced' lol, i still have some days i come home tired with an empty bottle (excepting for the rubbish of course).

Thanks for the empathy towards the loss, but other than wait for the court outcome, i tend not to dwell on it these days (yes, it does still upset me in those weaker moments), just glad the detector got left behind so i can still go out and find some more. pirat  Twisted Evil  (hope the f*@#'n felon gets his dues.... Mad ).

Yeah, lucky my trips are now a stones throw off my front door, so that keeps costs down some, but better ground always needs travelling to... Arrow  to the BIG one lol. Managed a cpl bits last week including a 2.1gm nuggy on the roadside so looks like i haven't lost the ear while being inactive, and the gold gods are allowing me some room to improve the tally.  Very Happy  

More to follow.....

Gypsy

Last edited by GypsyGoldAu on Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
GypsyGoldAu
GypsyGoldAu
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  GypsyGoldAu Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:26 pm

golden wrote:Hi Gypsie ..Gypsy

LOL..fixed that for ya too haha.

Cheers
GypsyGoldAu
GypsyGoldAu
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:00 pm

Thanks.I didnt want to offend gypsy people.I find them quite interesting but if you happy with that i am as well. Q01
Nice gold there.

Yes its hard to get the nuggets but noone can beat fun looking for them.

Dont trow you old battery.

There is a forum member who can fix it for you with a new cells.
His forum name is mechanic.

Send him a pm.

GoldEN

Back to top Go down

Post  GypsyGoldAu Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:47 am

Embarassed  Laughing  No worries Golden, no offence taken, sorry my humor didn't show in text. You should hear how some use my 'real' name hahaha.

As for the battery.... i'm not tossing it, hence the 'transplant' of a new heart.

Thought of doing it myself even, till i read about the sensors and as i'm tight on the cash atm, i didn't wanna risk a botched DIY fix, so am contracting Woodsy in Melbourne to sort it out this time around (it's been organized and confirmed already).

Don't know if he is on here himself or not (and if that might be his nic') but perhaps when this lot go down i can spread the $$ to members in the future....

Thanks for the lead in future, i might buy a dead 4000 battery and get him to sort it so i can have 2x and run a spare. Cool

Thanks for the comment on the colour, i was lucky to get a cpl of those pieces back from the theft (tho far from what was actually stolen), but unfortunately just not the 1st piece i found. No

Still, time rolls on and have managed to find a few more bits since then, but nothing of any real weight for a cpl of years now. Hoping this latest dose of the 'fever' will put me over that 'big' one. If not, i'm certain i will continue to pick up some rattlers along the way, and de-cancer the forest of some lead and rusty iron in the meantime.

Happy nugget shootin to ya....

Gypsy
GypsyGoldAu
GypsyGoldAu
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  GypsyGoldAu Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:36 pm

bounce bounce bounce bounce ....looks like the fixerupa now has my battery, should be able to get back out there by next weekend i hope... bounce bounce bounce bounce

Dunno if i can hold out for a week more....grrrrr i'm gettin antsy affraid

Hope y'all are leavin some for me to get..

Gypsy
GypsyGoldAu
GypsyGoldAu
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  pheasant plucker Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:03 pm

Your fame precedes you Gypsy! Or is there more than one of you!!!

I heard your stolen bit was something huge like 30kg?!!
Don't know if fishermen whispers turned a small fish into a whopper though?

Good luck out there and keep your eyes on your fries. V23

pheasant plucker
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:53 pm

pheasant plucker wrote:Your fame precedes you Gypsy! Or is there more than one of you!!!

I heard your stolen bit was something huge like 30kg?!!
Don't know if fishermen whispers turned a small fish into a whopper though?

Good luck out there and keep your eyes on your fries.  V23

I think you may have your Gypsys mixed up Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post  GypsyGoldAu Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:56 pm

affraid  affraid  DOH!!!! i'm outta here>>>>>>

Nah not me matee, best i ever found was 25gmr (specie at that)...now THAT would be some Fishin' Tale lol  What a Face

Mind you, you might have the 'right' Gypsy and the Fishermans tale is at work...

Where ya think ya know me from?

~~EDIT~~ Found 'another' Gypsy on here.....been a member much longer.....and going off the Avatar.....is Female (if believed, I'm unsure as I don't know them myself & NO disrespect implied or intended).....this may be the Member of your confusion yeah?.... Wink

Gypsy
GypsyGoldAu
GypsyGoldAu
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  GypsyGoldAu Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:48 pm

Just a little update on happenings.... called the stick Doctor last week and informed too busy to look at the battery for me. Called again today and package sent Aus Post EXPRESS!!! <<< last FRIDAY, but still in Melbourne as of today, but on it's way so fingers crossed it will be here TOMORROW!!!!

Seems like as well as needing a new pump (battery cells) the old girl also needed repair/replace of the Charge Heat sensor too. Will give it a charge and run a static test first to define what the run time is, recharge it again and HOPE for good weather on Wednesday for a run and hopefully a few rattlers....

bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce ....c'mon, c'mon HURRY UP!!!!!!!

WooHooooo

GGA
GypsyGoldAu
GypsyGoldAu
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  GypsyGoldAu Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:00 am

YeeeHaaaa..... the revitalized battery has arrived, fully charged and ready to go back to work. Laughing

Booooooo.... the rain and bad weather keeping me indoors. Sad

Oh well, have the battery now on a static test for run time so i know how long it is gonna run out in the field (approx.). Wink

Weekend is looking good for some color. Twisted Evil

Good luck to all...

Gypsy
GypsyGoldAu
GypsyGoldAu
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  GypsyGoldAu Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:08 pm

Evil or Very Mad ..... the dark cloud continues to descend over me.

CR&P...... things aren't promising atm. Bench testing gives me the same run time as before the heart transplant.

Stand By..... still testing but NOT happy.

Grrrr.

Gypsy
GypsyGoldAu
GypsyGoldAu
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:07 pm

Hi GGA,

just curious, how long did it run for?

Back to top Go down

Post  GypsyGoldAu Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:39 pm

G'day MT... After several "conditioning" charges that only took an hour from flat-to-full, (in itself a warning of issues), i was able to get about 3-4hrs to first 'Low Voltage' beep, thereafter from 15-30mins max. This "charge" gave a "Menu" reading of having 8.1V. This was tested by connecting to the detector and sitting static only..no target response power used, and with audio at a minimum.

It's back with the guys to determine if there is a problem with the "charge" board or sensors (perhaps the drop down regulator as well) and if unable to sort it out, i'm up for a new battery. I'm over not being able to get out and detect right now. Crying or Very sad

~Edit~ I'm also over AusPost snail mail where an ordinary sent parcel is as quick (read: Slow) as "Express" postage. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Cheers
GGA
GypsyGoldAu
GypsyGoldAu
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down