Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mono selection for a SD2200d

4 posters

Go down

Mono selection for a SD2200d Empty Mono selection for a SD2200d

Post  the 'H' man Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:52 pm

Hi there,

I'm very much a newbie to this game, (and to this forum) but after doing a half day course at Maryborough with a mate of mine for a bit of fun, have become hooked. Love the outdoors and have plenty of patience (I'm a 'try hard' trout fisherman !!) so I love doing this.

Having hired a detector for my first four or five trips, I decided to splash out and bought a minelab SD2200d from Ebay. It came with a 11" DD coil and I purchased a Coiltek 17" x 11" DD Pro for a good price. I've since had one trip with it and was impressed with how it performed, even though no yellow stuff was found. The 17" x 11" was very quiet, even though not as sensitive as the hired detectors I had used in the past (4500s with standard mono coils)...but I expected that. I was finding stuff at reasonable depths though and did a few tests re same.

This detector has been modified (by Woody) which has a 'gain' control feature. I was able to turn the 'gain' right up using the DD coils, making them as sensitive as possible. Because of this feature, I'm told its possible to run mono coils with the machine i.e if the machine becomes too noisy, I simply turn the gain control down. Apparently I'll lose some depth by doing this, depending on what sort of ground I'm in.

My question is what sort of mono should I buy as a general all round coil..i.e sensitive enough for smaller nuggets, but also having good depth for larger ones ?? Is there any one sort that better suites this machine ? (Nugget finder, Coiltek or Minelab ) I was thinking 17" x 11" Nugget finder ? I will be detecting in the golden triangle...

I would really appreciate any help at all before I go and spend $400 - $500 ??

Many thanks

the 'H' man
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2013-09-09

Back to top Go down

Mono selection for a SD2200d Empty Re: Mono selection for a SD2200d

Post  kon61 Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:14 pm

G'day H man. Welcome to the forum.

Variable gain you might have,but I strongly recommend you stay with your DDs,unless the ground you intend searching over is found to be very low in mineralization (which is quite rare on/in most Vic gold fields today).You'll find yourself dumbing down any mono you invest in,whether your in tracking mode,even more so in fixed,to the point where a DD coil will surpass it. Top coils to use with your modded 2200d are any of the past or current Minelab DDs,Coiltek pro DDs,or older Nugget finder XPs,with the Extra Penetration dial incorporated on the coil (as long as they're in good operating order if second hand) These coils when cranked up to a comfortable working ground level,via your variable gain dial,are almost as sensitive and as deep as a similar sized mono,with the added advantage of a lot less ground noise when operating over hotter sections of mineralized ground.
The current 17x11 Nugget Finder mono,or 18x12 Coiltek mono,as good as they are today,are more suited to the GPX Series detectors than any other of Minelabs past model range of detectors.
There was a time and maybe still is,when the Coiltek 14 inch round terracotta mono ruled the roost,where most ground conditions allowed,but considering the current ground conditions of Vic today,it would be fair to say it is quite unlikely they can do the same with minimum ground noise.  
Buddy,I'v given you my opinion.Bottom line,it's your hard earned dollars.Best of luck with what ever decision you take.

Cheers Kon.What a Face
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  the 'H' man Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:00 pm

Thanks so much Kon for your advice...I appreciate it. So maybe a 18" minelab DD would be in order then ? ...I'll keep an eye on Ebay etc
Thanks again,
Harry

the 'H' man
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  CostasDee Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:26 pm

Harry, Kon has given you some sound advice, and I can also add that as I myself used the 2200d for a few years, I couldn't stand the noise during the few times I tried to run a mono coil on the detector. Much better IMO to stay with the DDs on the 2200d detector.
CostasDee
CostasDee
Management

Number of posts : 3971
Registration date : 2010-11-23

Back to top Go down

Post  the 'H' man Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:12 pm

Thanks Costas Dee,

Message understood. I'll stick to the DDs. Would not be able to stand the noise for too long if its as bad as you say...I thought that maybe a small mono (14x9) may have been ok, but I guess there would be limited areas where I could use it in the golden triangle.

Thanks again,

Cheers,
Harry

the 'H' man
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Redfin Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:24 am

Hey mate, if you want to experience the noise to satisfy your curiosity I have a few mono's you can borrow for a weekend.
I have a SD2200d and also in Keysy.
Ron
Redfin
Redfin
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 679
Registration date : 2013-02-26

Back to top Go down

Post  the 'H' man Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:38 am

Cheers Ron,

I may take you up on that at some stage...how do you find the monos with it ?

Harry

the 'H' man
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Redfin Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:48 am

Harry, have only tried them in areas of very high mineralization for an hour or so.
Only had the 2200 for a short time and will get used to the DD's first before I try them again.
Redfin
Redfin
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 679
Registration date : 2013-02-26

Back to top Go down

Post  the 'H' man Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:00 pm

No worries...sounds like the 2200d doesnt like them too much. From reading previous posts it appears that alot of guys are hesitant in using mono coils on this machine.
Thanks for the offer though ...we'll have to get together one day and compare notes on our 2200d's !!!

For anyone out there that may be interested in a GP 3500...I just saw one advertised (posted today) on Gumtree for $1,410.00 !!! It comes with 5 Coils and looks in top condition .....that seems too good to be true...not unless its non geniune and made overseas (china) !!?? Who knows...but worth a look if your interested....

Will stay in touch Ron....

Harry

the 'H' man
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Redfin Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:16 pm

No worries Harry, seems like a plan.
Redfin