Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Go down

New member Empty New member

Post  Guest Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:15 pm

G'day all,

Jeff here, another old fart who has decided to have a go at the gold again.

The bride & myself call Sapphire home for a few months of the year and then take off for a bit of fishing and scratching around in the dirt, usually for gemstones, but also do the occasional week or two panning around Sofala.

I had a go at detecting a few years back with a GP3500 and thoroughly enjoyed it, especially in the west, but a few work related injuries forced me to sell the detector and now I'm keen to get back into it. Thinking about starting off with a lightweight vlf such as an Xterra 705 and will be looking for whatever info I can get - good or bad.

Jeff

Back to top Go down

New member Empty Re: New member

Post  Guest Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:20 pm

Welcome. I am the One.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:49 am

Thanks for the welcome Waveform.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:54 pm

Would I be right in thinking you like fishing and are 49 years old?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:00 pm

You are right about the fishing, but not about the age - I was born in '49.

Jeff

Back to top Go down

Post  sandy2010 Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:19 pm

Welcome to the forum Jeff.........good to hear you are going to have another go......are you getting a 'tector for your Bride ?

Be lucky.

sandy2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 821
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

New member Empty Welcome Mate

Post  silverfox Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:08 pm

Hi Jeff, Welcome back to seeking the gold stuff. I am a newbie too from Taree NSW. Have purchased a GPX 5000 and just got a camper trailer all set up and ready to get out there. Unfortunately; am held up due to "my bride" having to have knee surgery next week....same vintage as you mate!

Hope you enjoy your prospecting. Where are you based?

Regards
Brian
silverfox
silverfox
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2013-05-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:08 am

sandy2010 wrote:Welcome to the forum Jeff.........good to hear you are going to have another go......are you getting a 'tector for your Bride ?

Be lucky.
Thanks for the welcome Sandy.

I tried to get the bride interested in detecting a few years ago, but no go. I guess it's a good thing really - by not spending money on gear for her means more "toys" for me.

Jeff

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:24 am

silverfox wrote:Hi Jeff, Welcome back to seeking the gold stuff.  I am a newbie too from Taree NSW.  Have purchased a GPX 5000 and just got a camper trailer all set up and ready to get out there.   Unfortunately; am held up due to "my bride" having to have knee surgery next week....same vintage as you mate!

Hope you enjoy your prospecting.  Where are you based?

Regards
Brian
Thanks Brian and my apologies for not replying sooner - I've been up the gulf fishing for a few weeks.

In answer to your question, I am based at Sapphire in central Qld. We have a couple of mining claims where we spend 6 to 8 months of the year scratching for gemstones and then usually take off down to SA for the summer months.

I'm an ex Newcastle boy and know your area quite well - during my younger years I did a bit of panning and sluicing in the Barringtons around Nowendoc and Nyangala.

Jeff

Back to top Go down

Post  Gold Dreamer Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:38 pm

Hey Jeff,
re: using lighter detector. I recon you do not want a vlf machine for gold. I am still recovering from trauma of trying to use older minelab vlf here in Vic Triangle.
It is a very painful experience Smile. The GP 3500 you mention would beat the pants off any VLF detector.
Gold Dreamer
Gold Dreamer
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2013-05-04

Back to top Go down