Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

177 oz nugget Ballarat area

+37
mullockgrubber
dave1963
butterbox
Shinegold
Scrubhen
Nebuchadnezzar
Digginerup
granite2
bedrock
goldquest
Qld Sandy
shelby23
Narrawa
tezz
bobiaus
LONE WOLF XLIX
trianglemal
GemQ
staples61
someday
golddiggerdave
hotrock
stoney85
HOBO'S Gold
Firefly
onthehunt
non_fiction
OLD SALT
cabletie
Ren
Ash100456
getascripter
kon61
slimpickens
wombatroo
ALE-76
spinna
41 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

177 oz nugget Ballarat area - Page 3 Empty Re: 177 oz nugget Ballarat area

Post  kon61 Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:51 pm

When it involves instant fame and fortune,I have a saying which goes like this "Believe nothing of what you hear and half of what you see" Laughing What a Face

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:08 am

Someone found a big nugget...well done!! good on them!

Exactly where and when it was found, does it really matter? To be honest if I found an enormous nugget, and chose to publicise it, I sure wouldn't say where I found it, and I know many people who will tell you they found it where they actually didn't. Very Happy

As for the date, often people will keep it quiet for a few days, weeks and even months, simply because others may have known where they were at a given time and put two and two together. They may wish to thouroughly go over an area without finding a mini tent city there if word got out.

As for mentioning the type of machine he found it with, usually the first questions asked when you find something of size is, "where and what with"

All that aside, what an inspiring nugget! I know I'll be out for a swing in the a.m.

I do enjoy the conspiricy theories though, and I personally believe the bloke who found it also whacked kennedy from inside the book Depository Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:59 am

Here's last years find....reported again from the gold shop in Ballerat.

http://finance.ninemsn.com.au/newsbusiness/8420326/huge-nugget-may-spark-new-victorian-gold-rush

Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  hotrock Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:45 am

kon61 wrote:

When it involves instant fame and fortune,I have a saying which goes like this "Believe nothing of what you hear and half of what you see" Laughing What a Face

Cheers kon61.

$300,000 is alot of money but its not a fortune , its not even enough to buy a house, Gina Reinhart probably makes that much money every 5 minutes.

hotrock
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2011-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:55 am

Hotrock,to the person who hasn't a $1000 banked to their name,it is a small fortune.Bottom line as madtuna says,"some one found a big nugget,good luck to them",and it ain't going to stop us detecting.I'll also add,a nugget of over 100 ozs,today,does matter where it was found,not only for the finder but for the near by town,district,and for the type and size of nugget it is as well.As for what equipment was used to find it with,also has significance,for the maker and seller of that equipment. As for all the conspiracy theories including mine,remain just that,theories,nothing more nothing less.One thing is for certain though,It is not only inspiring but also encouraging to see that nuggets of that size,are still out there in existence,waiting dormant to be found,where one least expects them to be,with the next swing of a coil. Laughing cheers What a Face

Cheers kon61.

Last edited by kon61 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total
kon61
kon61
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  shelby23 Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:02 am

this was just on 7 Sunrise looks fantastic

shelby23
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 685
Registration date : 2009-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:10 am

Narrawa,funny you should post that up.I wonder what new surprise the Ballarat's Mining Exchange Gold shops' got planned for us next year? Laughing What a Face

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:16 am

I reckon it was found a few months back myself. Finding something like that would have you in shock for a few weeks at least.
The thing with newbies finding big bits stems to a simple equation of mind over matter......
They havent been detecting long so to their minds,every big target could be gold cheers
To us old hands,who think we know better,its a different story. We hear a big broad signal or a screaming surface signal and lift our coils,take a few steps and keep detecting. Our brains are telling us that this is most likely junk,and we need to seek out those softer more mellow sounds Rolling Eyes
One big problem there.....Hands up how many people know what a 177 Oz nugget sounds like on your detector Question
I sure dont Exclamation so dont ask me....... Razz
The moral to the story is; if your in a paddock that has produced gold you MUST remove all the targets before you can claim its worked out.

Back to top Go down

Post  Qld Sandy Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:17 am

madtuna wrote:Someone found a big nugget...well done!! good on them!

Exactly where and when it was found, does it really matter? To be honest if I found an enormous nugget, and chose to publicise it, I sure wouldn't say where I found it, and I know many people who will tell you they found it where they actually didn't. Very Happy

As for the date, often people will keep it quiet for a few days, weeks and even months, simply because others may have known where they were at a given time and put two and two together. They may wish to thouroughly go over an area without finding a mini tent city there if word got out.

As for mentioning the type of machine he found it with, usually the first questions asked when you find something of size is, "where and what with"

All that aside, what an inspiring nugget! I know I'll be out for a swing in the a.m.

I do enjoy the conspiricy theories though, and I personally believe the bloke who found it also whacked kennedy from inside the book Depository Very Happy

Exactly.
Well done to the lucky finder.

I know of many large nuggets over 50 ounces that only a select few ever saw and fewer ever held. Some of these are still around today.
One in particular was larger than the biggest recorded for the area and bigger than the one we are talking about, found with a Minelab PI, cut into pieces and sold as money was needed. pale

I DOOO love a new conspiracy theory though. I only hope the sauce is better than the last supposed release date I saw. Wink
Qld Sandy
Qld Sandy
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2008-10-18

https://www.goldcitydetecting.com

Back to top Go down

Post  non_fiction Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:58 pm

Well ive heard a story today from a reliable sauce that this latest nugget was infact found with heavy machinery at a quartz gravel washing plant that mines an OLD elevated riverbed for its landscaping quality river pebbles . But of course minelab has bought the story !
non_fiction
non_fiction
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2012-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  goldquest Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:08 pm

Many people in this forum seem to give too much importance to when has been found, two weeks, a month, a long time ago, what difference does it make, the important thing is that has been found and give new hope to everyone.
Good luck to the person who found it, I hope I will be next. Very Happy
Cheers
Goldquest
goldquest
goldquest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Post  non_fiction Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:14 pm

goldquest wrote:Many people in this forum seem to give too much importance to when has been found, two weeks, a month, a long time ago, what difference does it make, the important thing is that has been found and give new hope to everyone.
Good luck to the person who found it, I hope I will be next. Very Happy
Cheers
Goldquest

It gives new hope you are correct there but its also false hope because there was no detector involved in its recovery , it was an excavator fed Trommel plant .
non_fiction
non_fiction
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:23 pm

Grin!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:54 pm

Geeeez-
I 4 1 dont really give a rats where or when it was found. Enjoy.
Point is good luck to the person who found it.
stick it in a safe place until u need a few bob one day down the track.

and as some of the wise indians have said--i would said i have found it in Laverton-although it came from where ever-look out Steve the city slickers are on there way-- lol!

regards
Oneday69

Back to top Go down

177 oz nugget Ballarat area - Page 3 Empty re 177 ounce nugget found near ballarat.

Post  Guest Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:08 pm

hi non fiction sounds like your in the know!reckon your on the money bud!l on the news tonight loved the way mr cordell threw in the minelab speel without even been asked what it was found with.notice 2 gouges at one end of the nugget? hey non fiction was this trommel in ballarat area??? don,t get me wrong all the best to the finder no matter how he found it!Smile wonder what minelab paid for that publicity stunt!Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  bedrock Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:09 pm

non_fiction wrote:Well ive heard a story today from a reliable sauce that this latest nugget was infact found with heavy machinery at a quartz gravel washing plant that mines an OLD elevated riverbed for its landscaping quality river pebbles . But of course minelab has bought the story !

now the plot thickens Smile. Used to pick up my quartz pebbles there and they have a metal detector installed on the conveyor belt....
bedrock
bedrock
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1063
Registration date : 2010-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post  granite2 Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:25 pm

I heard from a very reliable source that the Hand of Faith was found by Neil Armstrong and brought back from the moon. Razz

Conspiracy theories give me the shts. The dumbest people in the world are the ones who believe in conspiracy theories. Suspect

Jim
granite2
granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1842
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Digginerup Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:21 pm

granite2 wrote:I heard from a very reliable source that the Hand of Faith was found by Neil Armstrong and brought back from the moon. Razz

Conspiracy theories give me the shts. The dumbest people in the world are the ones who believe in conspiracy theories. Suspect

Jim

Actually that's not quite true Rolling Eyes it was actually Buzz Aldrin and he had lent it to Harold Holt who wore it as a dive weight, it did belong to Elvis Presley for the last few years but when he lost his job recently at Mcdonalds he had to sell it to get liposuction, it's true!! my mothers friends auntys sisters hairdresser said so. Wink

Wayne. cheers
Digginerup
Digginerup
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2399
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Back to top Go down

177 oz nugget Ballarat area - Page 3 Empty re 177 ounce nugget found near ballarat.

Post  Guest Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:45 pm

granite2 wrote:I heard from a very reliable source that the Hand of Faith was found by Neil Armstrong and brought back from the moon. Razz

Jim
thats drawing along bow jim i can recall in a previous post not to long ago that you do not make decisions on media alone! for a comment from a long term member about this nugget seems to be closer to the source than you or i.would you walk in 4 hours after finding something like that and broardcast it around the world?i think not!as would anybody on this forum that is in there right mind! hey heard the moon is made of blue cheese! and yeah had a beer with elvis down the pub last night!Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  non_fiction Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:32 am

We must remember there are others who may get a bit grumpy when the truth is told because there are others that profit from newbies believing media hype .

non_fiction
non_fiction
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:48 am

Nice Slug, deep lead gold not 2ft case closed

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:51 pm

Jim

Geez, lighten up Jim, I don’t believe in conspiracy theories either, but there’s nothing wrong with healthy scepticism, nothing wrong with a bit of cynicism as well.
Just reading the line below from BRW should make you sceptical:
Quote “While he won’t reveal the site of the discovery to BRW, Kent says he was told where the spot was.” What utter bullshit!
A "responsible pro" like Kent should have told the "beginner" to keep the location to himself and thoroughly search
the area till he was satisfied there was no more to be found. Instead he somehow got the location off the newbie.

Last edited by shiraz on Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:47 am; edited 1 time in total
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post  granite2 Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:23 pm

Some folk think this nugget has been around for a long time. If that's so why didn't the owner sell it when gold hit $1,900.00, or very soon after?

I'll take the story the way it was told and be happy for the bloke who found it.

Cheers, Jim
granite2
granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1842
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:59 pm

granite2 wrote:If that's so why didn't the owner sell it when gold hit $1,900.00, or very soon after?

Cheers, Jim

He was thinking it would soon be at $2,000.00

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:09 pm

davsgold wrote:
granite2 wrote:If that's so why didn't the owner sell it when gold hit $1,900.00, or very soon after?

Cheers, Jim

He was thinking it would soon be at $2,000.00

Following your line of thought Dave, before anyone asks, " why is he selling it now?" the reason is because he's afraid the price will drop down to $1200. Laughing
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:23 pm

All I have to say is .....NICE VERY NICE Exclamation

Who cares about the other stuff ,location, time, detector/trommel, ect.
I wouldn't tell any one ether!!!

Back to top Go down

177 oz nugget Ballarat area - Page 3 Empty I wonder

Post  Guest Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:26 pm

Bendigo gold have been flogging their ads on the local radio for the last week.i have never heard them on the radio before.its go's along the lines of buy a 5000 grab a mate and a donkey to help you get the gold back to the car. Then bugger me if two days later a novice pulls a boulder in a well worked area.might be genuine ,might not be.

Back to top Go down

Post  Nebuchadnezzar Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:56 pm

You'd have to be complete chumps not to see through this.

Such a short article and all they ever talk about is their detector lol!

heard a faint noise on his detector
He thought he had detected the bonnet of a car
The nugget was found with a state of the art metal detector called a Minelab GPX-5000
missed it with an ordinary detector
This detector he used is the best there is
it goes deeper and further into the ground, better than others
marketed as the best in the world
made the find possible

Look! there's plenty more gold where it came from too

and Ballarat is still producing nuggets - it’s unheard of

and of coarse what every goldigger dreams of - get rich quick

prospector's new fortune would be well spent
pay off his house - it’s a real life changer

Start saving your dimes. You'll need them for the new
state of the art metal detector called a Minelab XXX
that will go even
deeper and further into the ground, better than others

Nebuchadnezzar
Nebuchadnezzar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 205
Registration date : 2009-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Scrubhen Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:45 pm

It never ceases to amaze me, Why people have to continually rubbish any report of someone finding a big piece of gold.
In the past it has always been “Minelab about to release a new model”
The holidays are about to start etc, etc

Surely we all should be happy for the finder, but Naa. Narr No its gotta be fake

Are the doubters just soo browned off with their own success rate that they just can not admit to the possibility that there just might be a good nugget still out there
Scrubhen
Scrubhen
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:59 pm

Scrubhen wrote:It never ceases to amaze me, Why people have to continually rubbish any report of someone finding a big piece of gold.
In the past it has always been “Minelab about to release a new model”
The holidays are about to start etc, etc

Surely we all should be happy for the finder, but Naa. Narr No its gotta be fake

Are the doubters just soo browned off with their own success rate that they just can not admit to the possibility that there just might be a good nugget still out there

I don't think anyone saisd it was fake ! But it may have a different story to the actual one that was released to the media !

I questioned the " water worn" assumption ! And as I said I don't think It is alluvial but what they call an indicator nugget which in my humble opinion is eluvial ! The flat side to it is a good indication as are some other aspects of it but it is hard to,tell from a tv report , and yes we'll,done to,the finder of course Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next