Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ballarat / Creswik area NEW NEED HELP

2 posters

Go down

Ballarat / Creswik area NEW NEED HELP Empty Ballarat / Creswik area NEW NEED HELP

Post  Fisho567 Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:44 pm

Hi,
I went detecting yesterday for the first time, didn't find much at all except for a lot of led. We went to creswik and along slaty creek.
I hired out the GPX 5000 for the day. To be completely honest I had no idea what I was doing or where to look! I'd love someone to come out and help me again when I hire it out and show me around before I buy my own Smile

Fisho567
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2013-03-25

Back to top Go down

Ballarat / Creswik area NEW NEED HELP Empty Re: Ballarat / Creswik area NEW NEED HELP

Post  Guest Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:14 pm

Hi Fish567,
And welcome to the forum.
The best thing is to get a day training.When you buy detector you will probably get a free day training in the goldfield.
Join the detecting club, they have monthly trips and plenty experienced people to help you.
Read as many post here.Research the area.

To be completely honest I had no idea what I was doing or where to look!

What was your expectation for a trip?

If you are finding bits of lead you are doing something right.Takes time and patience and learning and everything else will fall into places.

Its great you are trying before you buy.You might not like the hobby or you might expect to scoop the gold everywhere.(which probably will not happen as easy as you think).

There are lot of members who detect every week so when you are keen for a next trip post it here and someone might take you for a day.
Easter/long weekends are always quite busy in goldfields but then its harder to hire the detector.

Good luck and i hope you have a lot of luck gold hunting.
GoldEN

Back to top Go down

Ballarat / Creswik area NEW NEED HELP Empty Re: Ballarat / Creswik area NEW NEED HELP

Post  Fisho567 Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:18 pm

Thank you for the reply, I decided to look in old creeks etc, I thought that those would be the most common places, although after a bit more research I have discovered that not many pieces of gold are found in creeks, it involves a lot of walking around! But I don't wanna walk for hours in the wrong direction and waste the day of hire! Some help from a local would be amazing Smile

Fisho567
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2013-03-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:35 pm

Metal detecting can be like bush walking with hope!
Be prepared to do long hard yards! There are no short cuts lol!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:54 pm

I
have discovered that not many pieces of gold are found in creeks, it involves a lot of walking around!

quite contrary lot of pieces of gold are found in the creeks but mostly with panning etc.No with detector/

I dont want to sound harsh but this hobby is walking and walking all day long.If you are not prepare to do the lot of walking you are not going to cover a lot of area.
The one of the rules is to go low and slow.But still there is lot of walking involved.
Wrong direction?
I wish we all know what direction to go.
There is not as such as wrong direction in a gold fields.Your next step can be life changing.Thats what is great about this hobby.Thrill of chase.Thrill of holding a piece of gold in your held no one ever seen before.Thrill to hold a piece 280-400 million years old in your hand.
Others nice parts spending time in a bush, relaxing, stress free, meet some local creatures, day out with mates.
Gold is bonus.

Enjoy it.
Be warned this is very addictive hobby Very Happy

GoldEN

Last edited by golden on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:08 pm

Very Happy when the going gets tough! The tough stay! cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:27 pm

No retreat,No surrender cheers Laughing What a Face

kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:49 pm

kon61 wrote:

No retreat,No surrender cheers Laughing What a Face

kon61.

Right on! cheers

Back to top Go down