Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New to the forum..

+3
kon61
kalyamaree
Kirstymaree
7 posters

Go down

New to the forum.. Empty New to the forum..

Post  Kirstymaree Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:27 pm

Hi All!
As I’m new to the forum I thought I’d introduce myself and share my favourite detecting adventure..
My name is Kirsty and I grew up in Mudgee NSW with my mum, Kim, my little sister, Kalya (Kally), and my big brother, Mark. We’re a very close family even though we now live in 4 different towns on opposite sides of the country! Smile
Kally and I went to visit my Mum and my step dad, Linc, in 2008. They lived in a tiny little town in outback WA. It was such an eye opener to see another part of our country that is so different to where we live. There was red dirt as far as the eye could see and instead of watching for roos while driving we were on the lookout for camels! I thought mum was joking when she told me to keep my eyes peeled for camels but we came up over a small rise and there was a whole flock of them!! I couldn’t believe it.
We went out camping with a few family friends. We had the luxury of a caravan which was a bit spoilt but very nice to come home to after a day spent in the red dirt and sunshine.
We were up bright and early ready to go find our fortune. We jumped on the quad bikes with the dogs and detectors and off we went!
Mum and Linc are great teachers and had me searching for gold on my own within 10 minutes of pulling up at our spot of choice. I took not 10 steps from the quad bike and found a small piece of gold sitting right on top of the dirt. I thought Mum and Linc must have been playing a trick on me but no, I’d really just stumbled across it! And that was it.. I’d caught the prospecting bug!
We spent hours searching.. heads down, detectors swinging. I loved hearing “Got one!” across the 2 way radio.. but what I loved even more was to be the one to announce it Wink. I only ever found small pieces but I had so much fun while doing it… And I thought I was a total pro until our family friends found a 9 ounce nugget… right where I had just been searching! Haha
We headed back to camp for lunch and a bit of a break when it got too hot. That sun is a scorcher. Kally and I even sun baked one day!! Razz
I thought the food would be your typical camping food of something like canned baked beans on stale bread. You could have knocked me over with a feather when I was presented with a plate of perfectly roasted chicken and roasted vegies!! YUMMMMO!! Those little camp ovens are just magical and Linc is quite the cook!
Sitting around the camp fire of an evening with a cold beverage and great company was one of the highlights of the trip. Everyone is relaxed, happy and exhausted and there’s no tv, no phones, no video games… just peace and quiet and a great chat. To me, that’s the definition of quality time spent together.

My partner, Nathan, and I are booked in to do a quad bike prospecting tour over in WA next year and we CAN’T WAIT to get over there and go on our adventure. It’s going to be so much fun! And fingers crossed we can retire when we get home Wink

I look forward to reading all your stories and helpful hints on the forum and maybe I might even get to meet some of you!

Happy gold hunting! Smile

Kirsty
Kirstymaree
Kirstymaree
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2012-12-12

Back to top Go down

New to the forum.. Empty Re: New to the forum..

Post  kalyamaree Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:33 pm

Welcome sis!

Very Happy

kalyamaree
kalyamaree
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2012-12-11

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:47 pm

Welcome to the forum Kirsty & Nathan.Once bitten by the gold bug,your bitten for good.Sounds like your adventures have just begun.

Cheers kon61. cheers What a Face santa
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:50 pm

welcom to the forum kristy
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:54 pm

Hey Kirsty! Very Happy

Welcome aboard.
Looking forward to Nathan and yourself getting over here.
Linc's cooking has changed I'm afraid...it's got better!

Cheers,

Steve

Back to top Go down

Post  snapper Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:08 pm

Welcome to this forum Kirsty, and ya lil sis kally cheers Stu
snapper
snapper
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 279
Registration date : 2012-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Kirstymaree Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:22 pm

Thanks all!!

Steve we're really looking forward to our quad bike adventure Smile
AND lincs cooking!!

PS- look after mum for me. I miss her already Sad
Kirstymaree
Kirstymaree
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2012-12-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:31 pm

we will... we've been madly cleaning camp before she gets here....pretending it's always been like it lol

now to find a replacement cat that looks like her old one...she shouldn't notice Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:52 pm

Hi Kirsty,
Welcome to the forum.Very good start with a fascinating story.
Looking forward for more photos and maybe some video from your next trip.
Enjoy the forum and good luck with gold hunting.
GoldEN

Back to top Go down

New to the forum.. Empty Hi from Perth

Post  01grumpy Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:43 am

Hi good to read that you like western australia, as far as I am concerned the best state in Aussie, being from the south of NZ where its bloody cold wet and mostly windy WA is the place to be sunshine red dirt and of course GOLD, I been in the game for about five years now not found a lot but enjoy going out when work allows me time off. I work on a mine site up north as a emergency services officer. A couple of swings ago my mate and I went to Mt Palmer with our GPX5000's for a look, I only found 1.37grms and the quad broke down, now that put the dampers on it pack up go home and get bike fixed, to make things worse it was only the spark plug.....hmmmm I did say I was a Medic not a preson that plays with motors, anyway hope you have plenty of luck with the yellow stuff
Cheers
01 Grumpy

01grumpy
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:38 am

Kirstymaree wrote:Hi All!
You could have knocked me over with a feather when I was presented with a plate of perfectly roasted chicken and roasted vegies!! YUMMMMO!! Those little camp ovens are just magical and Linc is quite the cook!
Sitting around the camp fire of an evening with a cold beverage and great company was one of the highlights of the trip. Everyone is relaxed, happy and exhausted and there’s no tv, no phones, no video games… just peace and quiet and a great chat. To me, that’s the definition of quality time spent together.

Happy gold hunting! Smile

Kirsty
Welcome to you both and can see you have already experienced the wonders of the great outback and the development of the terminal "gold fever."
Good luck,

Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

New to the forum.. Empty New to the forum.

Post  sandy2010 Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:31 pm

Welcome to the forum Kirsty.. .....and thanks for your comprehensive introduction.....well done !........looking forward to your quad expedition stories.

Remember, "It is better to born lucky than rich" (particularly where gold is concerned).

Cheers & beers.

sandy2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 821
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:12 am

Welcome. If your still here that is. I notice the great intro post was from nearly a year ago. Very Happy 

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:19 am

01grumpy wrote:Hi good to read that you like western australia, as far as I am concerned the best state in Aussie, being from the south of NZ where its bloody cold wet and mostly windy WA is the place to be sunshine red dirt and of course GOLD, I been in the game for about five years now not found a lot but enjoy going out when work allows me time off. I work on a mine site up north as a emergency services officer. A couple of swings ago my mate and I went to Mt Palmer with our GPX5000's for a look, I only found 1.37grms and the quad broke down, now that put the dampers on it pack up go home and get bike fixed, to make things worse it was only the spark plug.....hmmmm I did say I was a Medic not a preson that plays with motors, anyway hope you have plenty of luck with the yellow stuff
Cheers
01 Grumpy
Welcome grumpy. Did you choose that name after recalling the quad incident lol!  at least you can fix people if not quads. I'm sure you carry a few spare plugs and what not now hey. I haven't been to WA yet but hope too next season. It will be an eye opener that's for sure, hopefully my eyes will be bulging as I gaze upon my freshly dug 5kg+ crystalline nugget in the shape of Australia. Yep that will be nice cheers 

Back to top Go down

New to the forum.. Empty named by the Doc

Post  01grumpy Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:48 am

No I didnt get the name after the breakdown I was given the name by the doctor when I was born, I have been told that I got to hit the doc before he got to slap me for my first breath, he said to mum this ones gonna be Grumpy, .......yeah it stuck didnt it, so I have had it for 62 years now, my partner even got the rego for my 4x4 ... 01 Grumpy.. it doesnt bother me been called worse LOL, Ok gotta go waitng room got a few people there to fix, Cheers.

01grumpy
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-03-27

Back to top Go down