Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

11 Inch coils? are they good?

+3
HOBO'S Gold
GoldstalkerGPX
yellowmellow
7 posters

Go down

11 Inch coils? are they good? Empty 11 Inch coils? are they good?

Post  yellowmellow Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:19 pm

Hi All,

Like to know are the 11 inch coils good to use?

if so what brands are good.

Such as Minelab,Coiltek etc....

Cheers,

Tim Eureka
yellowmellow
yellowmellow
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-06-24

Back to top Go down

11 Inch coils? are they good? Empty Re: 11 Inch coils? are they good?

Post  Guest Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:12 pm

This year my wife used an 11" Minelab (came with the machine) and a 11" small Coiltek elliptical, both Mono's on her 45 and was happy with the result. Don't think we would have had the same result with a 3000 or 35. So it depends on the machine you are using.

Peter

Back to top Go down

Post  yellowmellow Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:25 pm

Many thanks for your reply.

On a GP3500?

cheers,

Tim Eureka
yellowmellow
yellowmellow
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:31 pm

nope rubbish timmy

Last edited by GoldstalkerGPX on Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:51 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : huh timmy)
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:41 pm

Gday Tim

There are two 11" coils that I used extensively on my 3500, one was the standard 11" dd coil that came with it, (gp series coil) which I would use it exclusively set on pseudo mono, mainly because it was super hot on the small bits and the descrimination still worked so it would help out in areas where there was both nuggets and junk.

Where I needed more depth and a small coil, I would always use the coiltek 11" round mono, it worked extremely well on my 3500 and was responsible for a large amount of the gold I found at the time, deadly on small stuff and had surprising depth for a coil of that size.

There is another coil that has just come out that may be a good one for it too, I have not used it on a 3500 but maybe someone else has given it a go and could give you some feedback, thats the new Nuggetfinder 12" advantage mono coil, when I first saw it I immediately thought of the 3500 as they seem to match up well with coils in that size range.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  HOBO'S Gold Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:05 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong? but if you switch your detector to pseudo mono while using DD coils you loose descrimination? I haven't done this but its what I heard. Regards Johnny
HOBO'S Gold
HOBO'S Gold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 969
Registration date : 2008-10-22

https://www.youtube.com/user/HOBOsGold?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Post  echidnadigger Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:31 pm

HOBO'S Gold wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong? but if you switch your detector to pseudo mono while using DD coils you loose descrimination? I haven't done this but its what I heard. Regards Johnny
Funny you say this, I have used the pseudo mono in the past to try to differentiate between overload and dd discrimination on very loud signals. I too will look forward to getting an answer on this one.
Brett.
echidnadigger
echidnadigger
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2008-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post  MS Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:45 pm

Hi
Discrimination works with all DD coils either on standard or pseudo mono settings.
Cheers Mark
MS
MS
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 791
Registration date : 2009-03-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:02 am

MS wrote:Hi
Discrimination works with all DD coils either on standard or pseudo mono settings.
Cheers Mark

I wouldn't rely on this method as fail safe, but keep on doing it 11 Inch coils? are they good? Icon_biggrin

Far better method is to use the pick and then the eye ball 11 Inch coils? are they good? Affraid

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:06 am

Gday

The descrimination works normally with the dd coil set on speudo mono, although it is a bit hit and miss just as it is when in dd mode.

It gives you some help but you are better to dig everything anyway, but some spots you either perservere with the crap or walk away, if the area has produced gold amongst the crap then sometimes it can be well worth the effort, remembering that many other detectorists have probably walked away from it as well, and if you are digging buried targets then the area has not been properly detected, therefore you would have to assume there would still be gold targets left behind.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

11 Inch coils? are they good? Empty Discrimination

Post  deutran Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:34 am

A bit off the subject but the other day I took my son out and on the first signal called him over to explain the discriminate function.It clearly discriminated the target signal,guess what, it was a stainless steel american flick knife,luckily I also explained to him that its best to dig all targets.Ive also noticed that they tend to discriminate lead and I like collecting my musket balls.However if your short on time its great for a quick sweep and come back later for a thorough check.
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:33 pm

kingfish, All.
If your mechine discrininates lead would that mean it is also discriminating gold. as the DVD's I've watched the experts say you can not tell the difference between lead & gold signals. Please correct me if I'm wrong. 11 Inch coils? are they good? Icon_biggrin
Cheers Greg.

Greg
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 219
Registration date : 2009-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:08 pm

Gday Greg

The descrimination should only discriminate out ferris metals ie: tin/steel/iron etc, it will not or should not descriminate out lead or it will indeed discriminate out gold as well, as far as I know this is not possible, some ironstone/ gold specimens can be descriminated out but only because the gold content is very low and the iron content is high, so I think you are right there.

You can in some cases tell lead from gold, as far as the signal goes, but for the purpose of the exercise when learning to tell the difference between ferrous and non ferrous metal signals buried in the ground the use of a lead slug will be as close as you can get to gold if you dont have a nugget to use.

A small piece of gold close to the surface will sound like a small piece of lead close to the surface, there is not a lot of descernable difference in the two sounds, thats why we pick up so many shotgun pellets and bb's, because they tend to sound a bit mellow signal wise like gold does, as apposed to a piece of tin etc, and are usually shallow and on or near the surface, however a deeply buried nugget and a deeply buried lead slug are very similar, they both have a low mellow sound, so its a good medium to use for practice purposes, its not very often that you will find a piece of lead that is buried too deeply, so if after a bit of a scrape and you still have a mellow sounding signal then there is a fair chance that what you have is gold.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:10 am

Thanks guys for the replies now you really got me thinking so I just went outside and sorted it out.Small musket ball OK,large one oops!yep it discriminates out on a 3/4 setting or greater.This is on my GP3000 with standard DD.Now thats got me worried.I tried a 7.5 gram nugget is OK but havent got a big one to try out directly under the coil.Im pretty sure a large nugget wouldnt discriminate though,any thoughts
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down