Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What would be good.. 2 coils off one machine

4 posters

Go down

What would be good.. 2 coils off one machine Empty What would be good.. 2 coils off one machine

Post  Guest Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:06 pm

Silly question probably, but would it be possible to have a lead out of a gpx that split into two, with a switch to choose different coils? One that went to the coil that's attached to the one on the ground (14') and then a splitter that had a 6' coil that folded up and was only turned on when pinpointing in a hole. Was digging down 500mm in a hole the other day and didn't dig the hole big enough to really work out if the target was on the side or still deeper. Ended up putting on the 6' coil and found out where it was straight away. (Pinpointer wouldn't pick it up) Got me thinking wouldn't it be nice to have a small coil strapped to the side (not sure if it would interfere with the control box) that with the flick of a switch you could swap over coils quickly.

Back to top Go down

What would be good.. 2 coils off one machine Empty Re: What would be good.. 2 coils off one machine

Post  chrism Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:23 pm

What would be good.. 2 coils off one machine 20160611
What would be good.. 2 coils off one machine 20160610

Hi Jin
Hope these images help.
I recon its a great idea. We were only talking about this a few weeks ago with some mates after the 18' had my head buried in a hole and unable to use the pinpointer.
I believe that Reeds sells them for $135 [i might be wrong]
Its another one of those things on the "to build" list
Cheers
ChrisM
chrism
chrism
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2012-06-17

Back to top Go down

What would be good.. 2 coils off one machine Empty Re: What would be good.. 2 coils off one machine

Post  Guest Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:40 pm

Somebody might correct me if i am wrong but we wanted to put a small extension lead onto a coil for a longer shaft and was told that the coil is tuned in conjunction with the lead, so lengthening the length of lead will upset the whole setup.
This is certainly the case if you want a longer lead for drag coils and also some coil makers, have shorter leads so if you are height challenged you cannot run longer shafts for the coil, does not reach the GPX control box. TG

Back to top Go down

Post  charger Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:02 pm

yes its possible as the pic shows but also very easy to make.
cheers charger

charger
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2016-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:59 pm

Thanks for the photos chrism. That looks like something i could make and try out.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:11 pm

G'day Jin

I'm Not 100% sure, but with that switch block thingy you would have to turn the detector off before you switch to the other coil or risk blowing up the front end of the detector.

Just ask some questions first to make sure!

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:14 pm

Good point, always think of what could go wrong. Better safe than sorry. Thanks

Back to top Go down

Post  chrism Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:44 am

davsgold wrote:G'day Jin

I'm Not 100% sure, but with that switch block thingy you would have to turn the detector off before you switch to the other coil or risk blowing up the front end of the detector.

Just ask some questions first to make sure!

cheers dave

It would be good to find out if that is probable. That switch may also be a 3way switch rather than an immediate 2 position switch [?]
I suppose a call to Reeds might answer a few questions also.
But if you take the "gizmo" out of the picture, just carry a 6" coil connected to an old lower shaft in your backpack. When its needed just switch off your machine, plug in the 6" do what needs to be done and swap again. Takes a bit longer but its risk free.
Cheers
ChrisM
chrism
chrism
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2012-06-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:06 am

Just throw it in cancel to pinpoint

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hand Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:49 am

They were use before hand held pin pointers came out, using large coils just have the pin pointer set up on the other coil out let but am not sure if you hand to turn the detector off before switching to the pin pointer Very Happy
Old Hand
Old Hand
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 431
Registration date : 2012-03-31

https://servimg.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:03 pm

madtuna wrote:Just throw it in cancel to pinpoint

I'll second that Steve.
There are many out there who do need help pinpointing targets.
Only read the other day where someone dug 12" to retrieve a shotgun pellet. lol! scratch
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

What would be good.. 2 coils off one machine Empty Re lead

Post  Guest Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:40 pm

Not sure about the lead traveller gold ,a few years back nugget finder made a coil up for swan hill detectors I think it was, for a fella that had lost a shot gun in a lake or swamp ,it had a super long lead and they did find it.other than being waterproof don't know what mods if any they did for the super long lead.

Back to top Go down