Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GPX5000 Coils - What other coils to get

2 posters

Go down

GPX5000 Coils - What other coils to get Empty GPX5000 Coils - What other coils to get

Post  condor223 Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:34 pm

I have a GPX 5000. The coils I have are; the 11" Mono & 11" DD that came with the detector. I also have a 8" Minelab Mono and an 18"x12" Coiltek Mono. I will be detecting in the Victorian Goldfields.

I am considering a larger coil, either the Coiltek 18" round mono or the Minelab 18" round DD and am not sure which (I can't afford both)

I'm leaning to the DD, because the 18x12 eliptical equates to approx 14.7" round in area, which with the 8 & 11 gives me a range of mono coils. I also thought that going to 18" the DD would behave better re noise.

Although not my first thought, I was also considering if a smaller DD would be more beneficial to me than a larger DD. Either the Minelab 10x5 eliptical or the Coiltek 10x5 Eliptical Joey coil.

So I guess my questions are, given the scrub we often detect in, which of the larger 18 "DD or the smaller DD eliptical would be a better choice if I could only have one? or

Would the 18" Mono be better given I already have the 18x12?

Opinions please (please be gentle Smile )

condor223
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2013-01-27

Back to top Go down

GPX5000 Coils - What other coils to get Empty Re: GPX5000 Coils - What other coils to get

Post  Guest Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:22 am

G'day condor223,
The 18" round coils are more suited for the open type ground. My main coil that I have been using is the 14" round mono and there has been times where I have had trouble getting into tight places. I also have 14"x9" and the 18"x12" which are a lot better for the scrubby areas. Since I have been using the GPXs I have not tried a DD so I am not sure why you would need the bigger DD. This is just my honest opinion. There maybe others out there that may give you a better idea.  Very Happy 

Cheers.

Mike.  cheers 

Back to top Go down

GPX5000 Coils - What other coils to get Empty What Coils to get

Post  condor223 Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:39 am

Thanks Mike

Mike (my name to)

condor223
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2013-01-27

Back to top Go down

GPX5000 Coils - What other coils to get Empty Re: GPX5000 Coils - What other coils to get

Post  Guest Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:48 pm

My 18x12 runs extremely stable on my 5000 though I haven't been able to track down a solid skid plate for it as those open spoke coils give me grief when it comes to twigs and longish grass, though all in all for ground coverage, sensitivity, maneuverability and depth it is a winner in my stables..

Cheers,
Shreeve.

Back to top Go down

Post  Coiltek Manufacturing Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:21 pm

Hi Shreeve,
Glad to hear the 18x12 is working well for you.
We do have the solid skid plates for all of our GOLDSTALKER coils so please just ask your local dealer to order one for you and we can get it there.

I know the 18x12" and 14x9" sizes were definitely made.

All the best
Trev
Coiltek Manufacturing
Coiltek Manufacturing
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2008-11-19

Back to top Go down