Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New to this great hobbie

+2
AnnieL
rob101579
6 posters

Go down

New to this great hobbie Empty New to this great hobbie

Post  rob101579 Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:41 pm

Hi Guys and Girls

Thankyou for taking the time to read this if you do.

I'm new to prospecting and not for financial gain but as something to take me away from the hussle of the city and work.

Is there any tips from anyone what i should be looking to purchase to start my exploration. I've seen a few methods of panning and also gold detectors, which is more rewarding and enjoyable?

Any advice would be great!!!

Cheers Rob

rob101579
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-06-12

Back to top Go down

New to this great hobbie Empty New To This Great Hobbie

Post  AnnieL Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:39 pm

Welcome Rob. I personally like detecting for gold but I have given panning a go from time to time. Have a read of the topic Newbie Q & A in the general forum for some question and answers. Obviously the cost to get into panning is a lot cheaper than some of the more expensive metal detectors but I agree getting out there is often the best part of the hobby.

No doubt others on the forum will fill you in more.

Annie
AnnieL
AnnieL
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1084
Registration date : 2012-05-07

Back to top Go down

New to this great hobbie Empty Re: New to this great hobbie

Post  getascripter Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:17 pm

G'day Rob & Welcome!

Llike you I'm in it for the 'R&R' reasons ... once a month I take a few days away from the office and just disappear into the bush!

Ahhhhh .... slowly sanity returns ..... but then I'm silly enough to go back to the office Sad

Annie's advice is perfect ... spend some time going through the forum & you will be amazed at the wealth of information contained within. In the meantime ... G'day!
getascripter
getascripter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1900
Registration date : 2012-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:22 pm

G'day Rob.

Both contraptions aim at recovering gold and both will give you a different understanding as to what method of gold recovery your most likely to be doing and more importantly interested in.Have a go in trying out both and see what suits you best.There are shops which hire gold recovery equipment before you buy.I can only suggest you look into those before you dive in dollar first and commit to something you might not be able to handle,like or enjoy down the track.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  piston broke Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:57 pm

Welcome Rob, some great advice from Koni re hiring equipment before buying. cheers Pete.
piston broke
piston broke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1633
Registration date : 2011-05-07

Back to top Go down

New to this great hobbie Empty Thanks for the advice

Post  rob101579 Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:44 am

Thnakyou for responding you've made my quest a little easier. I'll keep you all filled in.

Cheers

Rob

rob101579
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-06-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussiedetecting Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:45 pm

That's a question that we get asked a lot. Panning is great fun & can be very rewarding. A decent panning kit like the deluxe Garrett kit or the Teknetics / Fisher deluxe kit will get you setup for under $100. Add a Garrett ace 350 & you are setup for under $550. Do it right & get a productive spot & you will have a return on your investment pretty quick.
I must warn you, that couple of hours once a month R&R will soon turn to every weekend, dawn to dusk. The missus will love us for it Smile
If you have any questions give me a call 0400291116
Aussiedetecting
Aussiedetecting
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 294
Registration date : 2011-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:33 am

G'day Rob, a pan is a great place to start and will not break the bank. Before you get anything else try to think about where you will be heading and what type of gold is found in that area.
Maybe try to meet up with a few people who can show you their gear and give you some ideas.

Back to top Go down