Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Placer gold

5 posters

Go down

Placer gold Empty Placer gold

Post  Goldmember2 Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:12 pm

Hey everyone, ive been finding some decent placer gold down in the silt about 600mm down in some large cracks in the stone bottom.
Thats a piece of rice to judge scale, the golds not huge gold but better than a kick in the pants. Thats one days work, Ive test panned up stream and down and this is where its concentrated, so next step is having a go at the banks.
Placer gold P1020610

Goldmember2
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2012-05-06

Back to top Go down

Placer gold Empty Re: Placer gold

Post  piston broke Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:30 pm

That looks great mate, keep at it. cheers Pete.
piston broke
piston broke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1633
Registration date : 2011-05-07

Back to top Go down

Placer gold Empty great

Post  starry Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:06 pm

great results looks like you are in the right spot there mate , hope the gold gods shine you next trip , pays to take time to track it down

cheers starry Smile
starry
starry
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2010-08-02

http://tas-prospecting.proboards.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Placer gold Empty Placer Gold

Post  AnnieL Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:04 pm

Goldmember2, good work ! Good luck having a go at the banks (LOL).

Annie
AnnieL
AnnieL
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1084
Registration date : 2012-05-07

Back to top Go down

Placer gold Empty The gold came from "somewhere"...!

Post  goldpype Mon May 06, 2013 6:10 am

Goldmember2 wrote:Hey everyone, ive been finding some decent placer gold down in the silt about 600mm down in some large cracks in the stone bottom.
Thats a piece of rice to judge scale, the golds not huge gold but better than a kick in the pants. Thats one days work, Ive test panned up stream and down and this is where its concentrated, so next step is having a go at the banks.
Placer gold P1020610

Good gold! By now, you've worked the area pretty well (I know I would!).
How about a "follow-up"? If this gold were in the deep cracks, how would you go about getting it out? Picking at it? Blowing it out? Suction?
The silt should be no hinderance....

GoldPype / NC / USA

Last edited by goldpype on Mon May 06, 2013 6:17 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : wrong username used...)

goldpype
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2013-04-21

Back to top Go down

Placer gold Empty yep its cleaned!

Post  Goldmember2 Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:34 pm

Sorry for the super late reply, I forgot my password, had another another bubs, and running an extremely busy construction business oh and had a good 5 or 6 trips detecting and found bloody 0.......so back to the pan
I worked the spot fairly hard both up and down, and would say the old timers wouldnt have given it a real hard crack cause the gold was in super dense clay below the silt, 200mm above bedrock. And the gold that came out was very flat and smooth in most spots.
Digging down to it usually took about 1.5 hours doing quick test pans on the way. As you know with placer gold, cracks in the bedrock running parallel to the river are prime where there are dog legs left or right to trap the gold. I might be sounding like I found sacks of the stuff but only managed 1.5 grams in about 15 trips......which Im pretty proud of :0
Just about had some different types of Nugs in the collection when I was panning up a storm and a tiger snake came up beside me for a drink.
Collecting the packed sediment was fairly easy as the cracks were worn smooth and were about as wide as your hand, so two pairs of gloves and a small garden shovel works a treat. When pulling out bigger rocks always do it really slowly and collect all loose sediment under them, cause the gold will congregate there as well. In another wash out in the triangle, the gold was quite close to the top in some spots, especially under rocks about the size of two dinner plates. My biggest specci was found under the lee-side of a rock about the size of half a small car. I had to dig down 900mm and nearlly needed a snorkel before I found gold.
After 50-60 trips you start getting pretty good at finding where gold will congregate, just by looking at the shape and depth of a rock and how the water washes over it. One wash-out I worked had nothing up or down other than a few tiny specs, as it came out of the hills and flattened out the bedrock had creases running at right angles to the flow like a natural baffle, and as I walked by Im thought I saw a twinkle....... there was only maybe a cup of sand in the crease and in one pan I got 9 tiny nugs out of it!
Im hoping to get out again and start hunting for some new spots, as the ones I had are fully worked.
Heres 80% of the collection, hope I can remember how to post a pic.

Placer gold Img_0611

Goldmember2
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2012-05-06

Back to top Go down