Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just got a Minelab X Terra 705 my 1st machine

2 posters

Go down

Just got a Minelab X Terra 705 my 1st machine Empty Just got a Minelab X Terra 705 my 1st machine

Post  www.eskimow.com.au Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:19 am

Hi everyone ,

My names Drew im 27 and a virgin detectorist lol
I just purchased my 1st Metal detector a minelab x-terra 705 from minersden mitcham yesterday , Excellent service down there and will spend heeps more in the future i bet . Im haveing difficulty with the machine as it keeps picking up beer tabs and aluminium foil i was at the beach yesterday and man those were bloody everywhere , how do i programe it to not detect them it has some instructions but im haveing trouble following it . If theres a pro out there please help :-) , Today being sunday im heading off to the old farming sites in the area to see what i can get , If anyone has a garrett pin point probe detector they want to sell please holla it would make my life easier .

So far i found and kept-

$2.00 coin
1959 penny
brass window winder circa 1920's
copper offcuts
cufflinks

Things i threw out -

aluminium foil
beer tabs
rusty nails
old metal pipe

www.eskimow.com.au
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2012-06-02

Back to top Go down

Just got a Minelab X Terra 705 my 1st machine Empty xterra 705

Post  bulldiggin Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:11 am

g,day Drew, my name is Brennan. i like you purchased an xterra 705 gold pack from mitcham some 5months ago. i have been out to the goldfields on 14 trips.. i am yet to find any gold as yet.. i do how ever have bags of bullets,belt buckles,lead shot,clock parts and the ever present pull tabs and junk.. i often think that the xterra is really designed for finding nuggets, as much as it is at finding coins and the like..i dont believe it has the depth to penertrate through the hard mineralised ground of our goldfields.. but until i find some yellow, i guess ill never know.. the more i go in the bush and hunt, the more i love being there(gold or no gold).. the anticipation of finding something keeps me going back every week.. some days (after rains) i find the xterra going nuts with false signals.. other days its a quite as a church mouse. i have only been beach combing with it once, but had a ball, got clear signals.. I found 16 dollars in coin, a ring and a ladies bracelet.. in regards to discriminating out pull tabs and the like, u really have to dig all positive signals as aluminium does read as high as 35 and as low as 5.. if u put your discrim on pattern 4, u can get rid of pesky unwanted targets and concerntrate on more desired ones.. u can also set your threshold towards minus 5(-1,-2,-3), and that will (should) only register deeper targets.. But in my opinion, u should really just dig everything that comes up +5 and anything in between towards +40.. I find anything above +40 only turns out to be false signals(+46, +48 do my head in)..for coins and park hunting, u should set your machine onto pattern 4, then if your unsure about a target, cross over it on all metal and see if its still reading +.. if not then dont waste your time.. hope this helps .. yours truely, Brennan.... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
bulldiggin
bulldiggin
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2012-05-10

Back to top Go down

Just got a Minelab X Terra 705 my 1st machine Empty x terra 705

Post  www.eskimow.com.au Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:11 pm

Hi Brennan ,

Next time you decide to hit the gold fields ill come out with you , better luck having two machines going and ill be able to see what im doing wrong too , went out today to some old farm sites in wantirna didnt get a thing apart from you guessed it more old beer cans .

www.eskimow.com.au
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2012-06-02

Back to top Go down