Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rigging Landcruiser GLX or Mitsibushi Pajero for overnight camper traveller -- pros and cons

4 posters

Go down

Rigging Landcruiser GLX or Mitsibushi Pajero for overnight camper traveller -- pros and cons  Empty Rigging Landcruiser GLX or Mitsibushi Pajero for overnight camper traveller -- pros and cons

Post  Imadogman Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:49 pm

Thinking about getting a 4WD that will be able to be fitted out as a camper for shorter trips. Land Cruiser or Pajero? The Troopies would be the ideal but my brother has a 4.2 '94 landcruiser diesel (five door) that he is willing to part with at a good price, so that might be a go. On the other hand I like the Pajeros because they have a lot of room in them and drive well on the black tarmac between the offroad bits and reputedly OK offroad as well. But not sure if either of these vehicles are suited to a mini-conversion (remove seats etc). Anyone already done it by chance ? I am 183 cm tall and want to lie straight when I sleep. cheers.
Imadogman
Imadogman
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 376
Registration date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Rigging Landcruiser GLX or Mitsibushi Pajero for overnight camper traveller -- pros and cons  Empty Re: Rigging Landcruiser GLX or Mitsibushi Pajero for overnight camper traveller -- pros and cons

Post  Cams 4500 Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:54 pm

With your height I doubt you could sleep streched out in the back of a Pajero, I know I couldn't and removing the second row of seats will require and engineers report as they are bolted in. You are right about their on road manners, quite nice to drive.

Have you considered a roof top tent? Could be a good option.
Cams 4500
Cams 4500
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 393
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Rigging Landcruiser GLX or Mitsibushi Pajero for overnight camper traveller -- pros and cons  Empty Re: Rigging Landcruiser GLX or Mitsibushi Pajero for overnight camper traveller -- pros and cons

Post  Ayounomad Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:55 am

G'day Imadogman , A set of draws in the back of my Jackaroo makes a level platform for a mattress when the seats are folded . Good warm sleeping equipment has led to some of the best nights sleep I've ever had ..The Jacks close to a Pajero in size and I'm 190cm ..The feet usually go between the front seats with head at back of car and passenger seat full forward ..My Fridge lives permanently behind the driver seat{ on top }. The other 2/3 of the car becomes bed ..3 gerry cans behind passenger seat { underneath }and water supply gerries and bottles behind drivers seat under fridge ..Heaps of space under mattress between gerries for detector batteries and other junk ...All spares and tools etc in draws and back right hand section behind fridge for tarps ,bbq's , storage boxes and clothes bags etc .To set up the bed , my food esky , chair and detectors come out ..Basically set up camp and bed is already ready ...The passenger front floor and seat can also carry heaps of gear { spare batteries , laptop }.Solar panels are stored under the mattress ..Picks jam in at the back out of the way ....For a 1 person setup a car this size is great but my next beast is going to be a troopy so I can sit up in bed and have more room , or pack in even more gear ..cheers..
Ayounomad
Ayounomad
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 164
Registration date : 2008-12-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Blitter2011 Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:16 am

G'day Imadogman ,
I too have a false floor in the back of my pajero to store the fridge and draws under. I made this the same height as the back seat folded forward, then adapted the cargo barrier to fold down forward over the seat. I use one of those self inflating 4" mattresses and in under 5 minutes Ive got a double bed. bounce

Troopy would make a better full time camping rig, but then you loose the ability to carry passengers other than in the front. The landcrusier would definitely hold its value better, and the 1HZ diesel will still be running long after the pajero has gone toes up. (and yes my current vehicle is a 99 Pajero which I have had for 10 years, prior to that an 85 2H diesel Troopy with over 600,000 on the clock when I sold it and was still going strong)

Whatever you get....buy right and you'll only buy it once
Cheers

Blitter2011
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2011-02-18

Back to top Go down