Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to fit a Quick Trak button to your SD2200

3 posters

Go down

How to fit a Quick Trak button to your SD2200 Empty How to fit a Quick Trak button to your SD2200

Post  Ren Tue May 01, 2012 10:56 pm

Here is a pictorial on how to fit a ground balance button to the handle on the Minelab SD2200.

This is a quick and simple guide on "HOW TO". No unnecessary technical jargon or the ins and outs.

Having a ground balance switch on the handle makes life so much easier and quicker Laughing

All the bits you need you can get from Jaycar Electronics (just don't ask them for any advice) Grab what you need and get out of there!!!

Some things to beware of :
:Pay careful attention to the location you are going to mount the 3.5mm female jack. Make sure it doesn't interfere with the circuit board when fitting the front panel back on.

:Remove the foam grip when fitting the switch, makes work a lot easier.

: There is a shield (silver foil) on the back of the front panel, when you drill and fit the female jack make sure the foil is not touching any part of the jack. I used a sharp scalpel to cut around the foil.

If you have any questions regarding this mod your welcome to PM me.
Regards Ren...

Remove heat shrink and de-solder the orange & white wires (on the back of the ground balance switch & take note of wire orientation)
How to fit a Quick Trak button to your SD2200 Snapshot2012-06-1122-16-48

Then re-solder the quick trak wires back on with the orange and white wires, back on same terminals & fit heat shrink.
How to fit a Quick Trak button to your SD2200 Snapshot2012-06-1122-15-05

Drill a hole to fit the 3.5mm female jack on the front panel (make sure the silver foil clears around the female jack & use Loctite®️ on the thread)
How to fit a Quick Trak button to your SD2200 Snapshot2012-06-1122-12-39

3.5mm male jack plugged into the front panel. (plugs into the 3.5mm female jack)
How to fit a Quick Trak button to your SD2200 Snapshot2012-06-1122-17-48

This momentary switch/button is available from Jaycar Electronics. Drill a hole in the center of the hand grip, solder the two wires to the back of the switch then fit switch with Loctite®️ 424
How to fit a Quick Trak button to your SD2200 Snapshot2012-06-1122-19-02

cheers

Last edited by Ren on Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : :-)
Ren
Ren
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 951
Registration date : 2012-01-25

xk522400 likes this post

Back to top Go down

How to fit a Quick Trak button to your SD2200 Empty Re: How to fit a Quick Trak button to your SD2200

Post  rc62burke Wed May 02, 2012 8:55 am

Hi Ren
Thanks for your post, can you give us 22 user's a run down on the ground balance procedure from initial start up ground balance to re balancing through the day & do you use it with the switch in fixed or tracking.
This sounds like a great idea & with a little more info I will be fitting one to my trusty 22, thanks Ren
cheers
Lee
rc62burke
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

How to fit a Quick Trak button to your SD2200 Empty RE: Ground balance procedure

Post  Ren Wed May 02, 2012 6:29 pm

rc62burke wrote:Hi Ren
Thanks for your post, can you give us 22 user's a run down on the ground balance procedure from initial start up ground balance to re balancing through the day & do you use it with the switch in fixed or tracking.
This sounds like a great idea & with a little more info I will be fitting one to my trusty 22, thanks Ren
cheers
Lee

G'day Lee, here it is mate. Very Happy

Fitting the ground balance switch to the handle does not change the normal operation of the detector in any way at all. It's just an easier way to ground balance and it's the same as flicking the switch from fixed to tracking. All the later model detectors now have this function.

I personally prefer to detect in fixed; As Tracking continually updates the Ground Balance setting, repeated passes over a target may result in the detector balancing to the target instead of the ground; diminishing the faint target signals. Shocked

Ground Balance Procedure for Fixed
1. Select the Ground Balance switch to Fixed.
2. Whilst keeping the coil parallel to the ground, lower and raise the coil between 25mm and 100mm (1" and 4") over the ground. Try to lower the coil as close to the ground as possible without touching it.
3. While moving the coil press and hold the Quick-Trak button.

Note: This is the same effect as changing the Ground Balance switch to Tracking on the front panel.

4. Continue moving the coil up and down until the ground noise has stopped. When there is no longer a change in the Threshold the detector is ‘Ground Balanced’.

5.Release the Quick-Trak button and commence detecting.

Periodically re-Ground Balance with the Quick-Trak button every few metres.

Whilst sweeping the coil, to test if you are still in harmony with the ground, stop then raise and lower the coil. If the Threshold remains stable then you are still ground balanced.

Note: When searching in Fixed it is very important to regularly check the Ground Balance and reset when required. Testing, by raising and lowering the coil, is quick and simple and should become a regular part of your detecting technique.

I hope that helps Very Happy Very Happy
Ren
Ren
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 951
Registration date : 2012-01-25

Back to top Go down

How to fit a Quick Trak button to your SD2200 Empty Re: How to fit a Quick Trak button to your SD2200

Post  rc62burke Wed May 02, 2012 6:49 pm

Thanks Ren
Thanks for that explanation Ren, it is now clear as, next stop for me "Jaycar"
Thanks for taking the time to post this here.
cheers
Lee
rc62burke
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

How to fit a Quick Trak button to your SD2200 Empty quick track cord routing

Post  glassman Fri May 26, 2017 12:36 pm

Hey Ren,
Do you have some pics of the routing on the quick track cord? Does it run under the grip to the switch?
Thanks

glassman

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2013-06-04

Back to top Go down