Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coiltek or Nuggetfinder coils?

4 posters

Go down

Coiltek or Nuggetfinder coils? Empty Coiltek or Nuggetfinder coils?

Post  yellowmellow Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:09 pm

Hi All,

As iam about to get my very first detector in a few weeks iam just researching coils for my gp3500.

Iam after an extra coil.

As i will have a 17 inch ufo coil am looking for an extra coil.

Which should i go for a coiltek coil or a nuggetfinder coil?

I would like a dd coil. As the ufo one is a mono.

Also iam after the size of say 16 or 18 inch size.An elipitcal dd would be good.

Any help will be great.

Cheers,
Tim
yellowmellow
yellowmellow
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-06-24

Back to top Go down

Coiltek or Nuggetfinder coils? Empty Re: Coiltek or Nuggetfinder coils?

Post  Guest Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:18 pm

Honestly Tim..if it doesn't come with one I'd seriously concider the standard 11" DD ML coil...very underated yet very capable coil. Tried and proven and a great coil to learn and hone your skills on.

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:41 pm

Yes Tim

I agree with Steve. You have to crawl before you can walk. At the moment in Victoria it is a lot easier to find smaller gold, so ensure that you get the experience before embarking on large coils etc. You have a UFO which is an excellent large coil, and I suggest you get the standard 11" DD coil that goes with your detector and get an 8" mono. Learn to use all these properly, start finding gold that is more readily available, learn your detector what it can and cant do, and then you may feel competant enough to get larger coils.

There is a lot of info already in the section - All about Coils - to answer your question, so I suggest you slow down a bit, do more research on your equipment and goldfields before spending any more money.

It is harder for more experienced guys to find gold, and we certainly wouldn't be spending our money on larger coils at your stage of development and learning. Its like driving a car. Your L plates teach you to drive the car, but you are not a good driver until you have driven the car in all conditions by yourself in a safe and competant manner. This adds years to your driving experience.

You may feel we repeat ourselves, but use what you have first, know your equipment then buy what you need. Give your self a minimum of 6 months, then revaluate your needs.

Jeff
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4504
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  echidnadigger Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:12 pm

I would suggest the 14''dd elliptical nugget finder. It is one of my favorite coils. The centre gives about the same depth as an 11'' round yet the tip and heel have a sensitivity close to a 250mm elliptical coil. They are a great coil for learning to pin point and run particularly well on the 3500. The elliptical shape certainly has the odd bonus. One being able to sniff around objects and two, not always having to dig as big a hole because the nose fits further into the hole without having to open up the hole to much. They are a bit of a two in one coil. Ideal for anyone to learn with I feel. Same could be said for coiltek ellipticals without doubt. I simply suggested the nugget finder because that's the one I know and like.
Brett.
echidnadigger
echidnadigger
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2008-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Beer Beeper Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:44 pm

Good advice Jeff about keeping reality in check and also the right priorities. Also along those same lines Steve.

Brett, I am curious, do you have a NuggetFinder 9x14" DD in XP or Regular? Fibreglass or Plastic?

Yes more coverage than the stock round 11" DD with about the same depth, also more sensitive as you said. Very quiet for a beginner, easy to use and manuver.

I think NF made a 11x17" DD too.

Beer Beeper
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2008-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  echidnadigger Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:48 pm

Mine is the xp with the switch on the lead, plastic I believe and very light.
Brett.
echidnadigger
echidnadigger
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2008-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Beer Beeper Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:35 am

Thanks! Both CoilTek and Commander do not make a 9x14" DD size, only NF does. CoilTek has a 5x10" DD then a 11x17" DD(and 11" DD round) and nothing in between in DD. Commander has a 5x10" DD then a 11" DD round and nothing in between in DD.

I have a bigger NF XP DD fibreglass coil. Does anyone know, I wonder, if the NF plastic coils are more sensitive-deeper than the NF fibreglass coils or the performance is exactly the same?? Thanks!

Beer Beeper
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2008-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:56 am

Gday

I think that the fibreglass and early plastic nuggetfinders were about the same performance wise, and it was only a change of materials and the move to open coils for the weight factor that was the difference.

But as there are now the nuggetfinder advantage coils out as well, and they use a different spec litz wire I believe there may be some advantages in the area of sensitivity, the ones I have used seem to go well with the 4500, and seem to be just a little more lively than the earlier light grey plastic ones that seemed to be a bit flat in some cases.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down