Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

hipstick.........

+6
spidertice
Jigalong
Kon61gold
echidnadigger
delapan
gray.nomad
10 posters

Go down

hipstick......... Empty hipstick.........

Post  Guest Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:19 am

Anyone use a hipstick...are they any good??????

I use belt...not full harness...would have to use a shoulder strap....

Back to top Go down

hipstick......... Empty Re: hipstick.........

Post  Guest Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:43 am

They are very good but make sure you get the correct length for your height as the come in three sizes.
Use a girls hair band to secure the swivel to it's mount.

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post  gray.nomad Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:40 am

Hip sticks,
Definitely recommended, can a bit of a nuisance in heavy scrub (like here in Gippsland).
But you can adjust the weight transfer via the bungie cord to suit you.

See up them thar hills
Frank
gray.nomad
gray.nomad
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  delapan Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:23 pm

have used one for a little while now, best thing ever invented !!! uu wonder how uu went without one for so long, regards, gary
delapan
delapan
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2008-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:32 pm

For someone right handed should it be on the right or left side?

Back to top Go down

Post  echidnadigger Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:41 am

Claimpeg,
Right for right handers.
Jonathan Porter did have a bit of footage that he posted a while ago. It was very helpful for us trying understanding the hip stick.
I always have it strapped to me whether I am using it or not. It does give you, an hour or more detecting without the fatigue that normally would make us call it quits.
Just quietly, I would suggest this product to all prospectors and I don't get a thing for saying so. Simply put, its just good.
Brett.
echidnadigger
echidnadigger
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2008-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:49 am

You have to unclip it when bending over to dig i assume?

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:08 am

You do, but it is no different than unclipping the bungy strap from your detector.

Sometimes I have forgotten to clip it on again, then you know there is something wrong, you feel the weight of the detector on your shoulder. Once you start using a hipstick, it just becomes part of your kit.

There are three lengths, large, medium and small to cater for various sizes of people.

The reason I started using one is that I had a sore shoulder, but now after a several hours of detecting, there is no problem. I bought mine at Coiltek so I would recommend to anyone.

Jeff
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4500
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

hipstick......... Empty Hip stick

Post  Jigalong Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:36 am

I have one and I think it is the best thing I have purchased . I could not detect all day without it.

Actually I want to buy another one, to keep in my kit as a spare and to lend to people who keep asking "what are they like".

I see there is a post on here form J.Porter. I went to the JP website yesterday to buy one, but got the impression it was closed for a while. Is this still the case ?

Thanks,

Jigalong.
Jigalong
Jigalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1316
Registration date : 2008-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:05 pm

So when digging, do you unclip the actual stick.....top or bottom? Wouldnt it get in the way unless you took it off and put it aside?

Back to top Go down

hipstick......... Empty Hip Stick

Post  Jigalong Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:12 pm

I have cut the flexible "arm bit" off the plastic clip on the heavy duty bunge cord . (where it connects to the top of the hip stick).

So when I dig, I detach the bunge cord there in a one quick, effortless move.

They are the best thing sliced bread.

Jig.
Jigalong
Jigalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:11 pm

but the stick would have to be detached too.....how would you bend otherwise??

Back to top Go down

Post  gray.nomad Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:48 pm

Hi,

You only need to remove the knuckle/ball joint and undue the bungee cord. This allows you free movement.
I NEVER had any movement restrictions. Go and do yourself a favour, buy one. You will be so glad you did.

See you up them thar hills.
Frank
gray.nomad
gray.nomad
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

hipstick......... Empty "but the stick would have to be detached too.....how would you bend otherwise??"

Post  Jigalong Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:06 pm

I have no problem bending over and digging with the stick still attached to my belt at the knuckle and by the clip to my harness at the top. I never undo these points, I only unclip the bunge from the top of the stick. Promise!
Jig.
Jigalong
Jigalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  echidnadigger Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:50 pm

Jigalong wrote:I have no problem bending over and digging with the stick still attached to my belt at the knuckle and by the clip to my harness at the top. I never undo these points, I only unclip the bungee from the top of the stick. Promise!
Jig.
I too, never disconnect the hip stick at all. I simply detach the bungee as per normal. Tip: Cut the flexible part of the clip off the bungee. It becomes a simple hook this way and is quick to release.
Brett.
PS. Jig,
My avatar is a picture I pulled from the Internet. I liked it so much that I kept it. Besides, don't we all pray like this before the next trip? Religious or not. For a mob that spends a lot of time on our knees wishing/praying while digging, I would say we could start our own faith. I should mention that religion is tax free. Razz Razz Laughing Laughing
echidnadigger
echidnadigger
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2008-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:20 pm

I think it would be best to attach the bottom part (ball joint) to the belt around my jeans , rather then the bottom belt of gp harness, otherwise the weight would tend to lift the battery up, as the standard harness setup does now when using a bungee.

It was great when the Lithion Ion batteries came out with Gp s, so light, the only downside was the prior heavier Lead Acid batteries did counterbalance well, when using a bungee.....but so heavy..........!!!

Back to top Go down

hipstick......... Empty re hipstick

Post  spidertice Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:07 pm

I dont have a hipstick "yet" but i dont see why this wouldnt work, with the hip stick,, what i did with my setup was turn the bungee around and attached it to my harness, with a big cable ty (till i figured out something else) then got a plastic chain link from bunnings and run it through my detector arm where my bungee was. this makes it easier to undo, it flops around a bit when your digging but you get used to it

cheers spider
spidertice
spidertice
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2009-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:34 pm

Gday

I think that the "hipstick" is a great invention and well worth using, I have developed shoulder pain from years of swinging coils, its a bit like rsi (repetative strain injury?) think thats it!.

Anyway it is a dull ache that you get in the shoulder joint, starts after 30 minutes or so of swinging the coil, and combined with some lower back issues it takes a bit of getting used to, I just used to ignore it and try to put it out of my mind, funny though as soon as the nuggies start to immerge the pain goes away?.

So the first thing that I noticed when using the hipstick is that I dont get the gnawing shoulder pain, and I believe it also eleviates the lower back pain as well to some degree, I got in the habit of using it for all my coils and even though I found it restrictive at first I soon got used to it and now use it all the time.

My advice to users is that it could be that the use of the hipstick will help prevent you developing these problems in the first place so if thats the case then it is well worth having.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:16 am

Got a hipstick.....the ball keeps jumping out of the socket, even with the elastic band ........????????????????????? any tips??

Back to top Go down

Post  MS Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:28 am

Hi claimpeg
It's sounds like yours is too short for you.
When I ordered mine there were 3 sizes and if the size is correct the downward pressure on the shaft keeps the ball in place in the socket.
I don't use my a lot, only when I get the big coils out or to give the shoulder a break.
They are a good idea and better to wear out a hipstick than a shoulder socket.
Mark
MS
MS
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 791
Registration date : 2009-03-17

Back to top Go down

Post  delapan Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:40 am

Hi Claimpeg, i agree must be too short, i have no probs with mine jumping out of the knuckle, i just slip it out of the knuckle when i dig, have no restrictions on movement at all, but boy they help with the pain !!!!regards, gary
delapan
delapan
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2008-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:54 am

thanks...will swap it 4 longer one,,,

Back to top Go down

Post  Jigalong Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:39 pm

Yeh Claimpeg,
Something is wrong. I never even use the elastic thingie to keep the ball in the cup. It never comes out.
Jig
Jigalong
Jigalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:27 pm

took it back and swapped it 4 long one..

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:47 pm

I know this is an old thread, but I must say that I have just purchased a hipstick and what a wonderful invention this is, I used to use the old pick over the shoulder to counter balance the weight of the detector, now I need to buy a lighter pick! How I ever went without one before and put up with the pain caused from swinging all day long, now no hesitation to throw on the larger heavier coils and swing them with absolute ease. but wait there's more, nah that's it....
Cheers
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Qld Sandy Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:33 pm

Claimpeg wrote:Got a hipstick.....the ball keeps jumping out of the socket, even with the elastic band ........????????????????????? any tips??

I got rid of the elastic band and use one of the velcro ties that Minelab use to secure the coil cable to the detector shaft. It now never comes out of the socket. I also cut the lock tab off the plastic clip where it attaches to your harness as it was a pain. Now I never remove the Hipstick and use it for ALL coils regardless of size. I would also recommend one of the quick adjust bungy cords that JP has as they are another good bit of gear. Cheers.
Qld Sandy
Qld Sandy
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2008-10-18

https://www.goldcitydetecting.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:16 am

When ever I use my hipstick (not often) all I ever do is flip the ball out of the socket when I bend down, leaving the top attached, have found it is far easier than unclipping.
If the tip of the stick is above the "D" shackel on harness (JP's video) you shouldn't have a problem with an unrestrained ball jumping out of the socket.

Peter
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down