Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GPX 5000 Iron Reject

3 posters

Go down

GPX 5000 Iron Reject Empty GPX 5000 Iron Reject

Post  Crocko Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:44 am

I tried posting this on the appropriate forum[center]without response so I thought I'd give it a go here..................

Hi all...I've had a few trips out now with my new 5000 and am very happy with its performance (not so much with MINE however) although I did get a 1.3g nugget on my first outing.

On quiet and clean ground I have been running in Special/Fine Gold using the 11" mono supplied, which has pretty much become my default setting and all signals have been clear and obvious.

A couple of possies that are around old mine sites are strewn with ferrous crud and rather than throw my hand in frustration I have put on the 11" Double D and switched to Iron Reject cranked up to Max 10.
Now I'm only getting bullets and beer cans (!) but the non ferrous targets are very distinguishable and I find the activity far less frustrating.

My questions are, is this the way to go? Is there a better way to address the ferrous problem? What are the trade offs if any?....that should be enough for my first post!!

Crocko
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2012-02-05

Back to top Go down

GPX 5000 Iron Reject Empty Re: GPX 5000 Iron Reject

Post  piston broke Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:01 am

Hi Crocko, I'm no expert, but I think most will say to leave the iron reject off and dig everything. You may be dumbing down the machine and missing Gold. cheers Pete.
piston broke
piston broke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1633
Registration date : 2011-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:26 am

g`day crocko
as you probably know mono is more sensative and goes deeper on smaller bits , but in high rubbish areas i sometimes put on the dd to discriminate because if you dug every target you wouldn`t get 10 feet from the vehicle. mate if i am running a dd i (not often) i always turn on iron reject. i suggest set the iron reject at about half way. if a target compleatley blanks out walk away from it. if it is a partial blank out or dosen`t blank out dig. that way 90% of the targets you dig will be non ferrous and hopefully there will be a bit of gold amongst them
hope this helps
cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Crocko Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:21 pm

Thanks for the response guys....I think the DD on Iron Reject with a setting of 5 used only as a last resort is the answer I'll go with. Better a 90% result than chucking my teddy in the corner for a 0% result (like many before me?)

Thanks again for the reply!....crocko

Crocko
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2012-02-05

Back to top Go down

GPX 5000 Iron Reject Empty Dig everthing

Post  philip.j.thompson Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:36 pm

First, detected over thirty years and "nuggets", the old timers would have laughed, in the past 5. Second, enjoy the moment, if you find fine , if not ask Ned.
regards Phil

philip.j.thompson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 725
Registration date : 2012-07-24

Back to top Go down