Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coiltek or Nuggetfinder coils in high mineralized ground

+11
Ringpull
waznme
goldquest
Jigalong
geof_junk
slimpickens
Harb
kon61
paulf
granite2
yellowmellow
15 posters

Go down

Which coil brand works best in high mineralized ground

Coiltek or Nuggetfinder coils in high mineralized ground Vote_lcap13%Coiltek or Nuggetfinder coils in high mineralized ground Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 2 ]
Coiltek or Nuggetfinder coils in high mineralized ground Vote_lcap56%Coiltek or Nuggetfinder coils in high mineralized ground Vote_rcap 56% 
[ 9 ]
Coiltek or Nuggetfinder coils in high mineralized ground Vote_lcap31%Coiltek or Nuggetfinder coils in high mineralized ground Vote_rcap 31% 
[ 5 ]

Total Votes : 16

Poll closed

Coiltek or Nuggetfinder coils in high mineralized ground Empty Coiltek or Nuggetfinder coils in high mineralized ground

Post  yellowmellow Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:35 pm

which of these 2 brands of coil works best in high mineralized ground you can enter my poll if you want to.

many thanks.

cheers,

Tim eureka
yellowmellow
yellowmellow
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1694
Registration date : 2009-06-24

Back to top Go down

Coiltek or Nuggetfinder coils in high mineralized ground Empty Re: Coiltek or Nuggetfinder coils in high mineralized ground

Post  granite2 Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:05 pm

I'm amazed to see such a large disparity between coils. I would say there would be hardly any difference in the ability of any of these coils to handle hot ground, it really depends on the detector and the operator. I have used all three makes of coils and found little difference in their ability to handle hot ground myself although I have seen information posted here that suggests some NF coils may have a problem on extremely mineralised ground.

Cheers, Jim cheers
granite2
granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1829
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

Coiltek or Nuggetfinder coils in high mineralized ground Empty Re: Coiltek or Nuggetfinder coils in high mineralized ground

Post  paulf Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:05 pm

Most people I know reckon NF are great in Highly mineralized ground. Have not heard any one complain about one yet. Sometimes coils are like cars, you have your holden or ford fans and they stick by them. But really it does not matter if you are a NF, Minelab or a one eyed Coiltek coil fan because as you stated Jim it is about operator. A good one can use any and do well. There is one guy in our club that uses an old, battered minelab coil but goes slow, low and is patient and gets gold often when others don't.

paulf
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 263
Registration date : 2010-06-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:56 pm

I agree with Granites reply to all this.
UB

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:53 pm

I find this poll interesting. When we used our nugget finder coil in WA on what we thought was highly mineralised ground it was so so sensitive. Any minor thing made it complain / become noisy. When we switched to the original 11" mono comander that handled the ground much better. Just our findings. On another note, the nuggetfinder coil I believe is a much more sensitive coil than the comander coil we have. And to elaborate, we were using an 18" round nuggetfinder so that could have a bearing against the 11" comander.
travelergold

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:10 pm

All three main coil manufacturers are pretty much on par with one another in terms of coil handling capabilities and performance on a variety of soil compositions,the main differences being in weight factor. Jim couldn't have explained it any clearer."It really depends on the detector and the experience of the operator using it".

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Harb Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:29 pm

Wouldn't a coil that is highly reactive in mineralized ground point out that it has higher sensitivity, so it would be the best coil ?

that would make the worst coil the best coil.........unless of course you were looking for the best coil to reduce sensitivity which would of course be the worst coil not the best coil.... I hope I have made myself clear Laughing

so to sum up....

In relation to Highly mineralized ground.....

1. The best coil is the worst coil

2. The worst coil is the best coil
Harb
Harb
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 720
Registration date : 2010-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:50 pm

Harb, your post is the best post, so therefore it is the ........ Very Happy
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Back to top Go down

Coiltek or Nuggetfinder coils in high mineralized ground Empty Re nugget finder coiltek coils

Post  Guest Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:06 pm

I have used all the above mentioned coil and have to agree with granite and kon cheers mike

Back to top Go down

Post  geof_junk Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:41 pm

We all have our preference, my wife likes coiltec. After destroying 3 NF 14" elip coils with hard work and rough use, the only coil that I could get to replace it was a Coiltec 14" elip. The wife says her is the best coil she has had, but I still would prefer to swap my 14" coiltec with my last NF. In fact I went for a 14" round NF when I got back home.

Last edited by geof_junk on Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
geof_junk
geof_junk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 933
Registration date : 2008-11-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:11 pm

Ford Vs Holden.....Toyota Vs Nissan,everyone has different opinions.
Remember the old days,when all we had was either the stock Minelab Coils or Coilteks?
Most chose Coiltek.
Whenever someone has a good find,everyone thinks`GOT TO GET ONE OF THOSE COILS`,so they think they will be backing a winner. 9 outa 10 times the nugget or patch could have been found with any Coil and with even older Minelabs. You just have to walk over it,and dig it!
No matter how good your coil is,poor detecting techniques/mindset or a total misunderstanding of the opperation/limitations of your detector wont help you find more Gold.

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:14 pm

Well spoken Gus.Bravo.So easy to find fault with everything and every one,except ourselves.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Jigalong Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:28 pm

Hi Tim,

I cannot really cast a vote, as I have all Nugget Finder coils. I don't use Coiltec coils because they are noisy in certain situations and they are heavier than the equivalent NF. I don't use the excellent Minelab coils, because they are too heavy for me to swing comfortably.

When I detect, I detect with the coil right on the ground. I used to have both the 14" and 18" ellip. Coiltek Commander coils, but I had to sell them because of the noise made by them when I contacted rocks or vegetation. The 12" elliptical NF is the quietest coil I have used and because of that, it is my favourite.

I know Coiltec received many many complaints about this and perhaps they have fixed the problem in the newly released coils with the Lizt wire - I hope so, because they are good people.

Jig.
Jigalong
Jigalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1316
Registration date : 2008-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post  goldquest Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:11 pm

Eureka wrote:which of these 2 brands of coil works best in high mineralized ground you can enter my poll if you want to.

many thanks.

cheers,

Tim eureka

Nugget Finder any time, I have sold all my other coils.
goldquest
goldquest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Post  waznme Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:28 pm

Pardon the ignorance, but what is meant by a "quiet coil" ??

Is it just the noise it makes when you whack it against a rock???

Waz

waznme
waznme
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2008-10-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Ringpull Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:34 pm

So far everybody has given an opinion on their experiences with the brands that they have used, however, to make a valid comparison I would expect that the tests be done under identical conditions. The coils should be the same size, used at the same location on the same target, with the same detector and the settings optimised for that coil, otherwise you'd be comparing peas with carrots (re Forrest Gump). Perhaps a few members with different coils could get together one day and do a controlled test? I for one would be interested in the results.
Ringpull
Ringpull
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2011-12-26

Back to top Go down

Coiltek or Nuggetfinder coils in high mineralized ground Empty Re-Nuggetfinder and coiltek coils in highly mineralized ground

Post  Guest Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:47 pm

Hi Ringpull that is a very good idea you have come up with that should sought which is the best.
Cheers mike.

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:22 pm

Take two branded 14x9 coils for testing purposes, how are you going to know which coil is slightly off Q?? Electrically challenging for the human ear to detect, and if there was a noticeable difference to the point of our ear picking it up...obviously a faulty coil.? Branding one coil not as good as the other by those testing it, and convincing themselves brand X is the better coil. scratch

Since both leading after market brands are using the litz wire in there coil ranges, why not have the manufacturer display one cut in half to reveal how each brand is potted/constructed.?
I find that would be more exiting to see than testing wire against wire.??
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  geof_junk Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:42 pm

Here is a cross cut of a wrecked NF 14x9" Elip Mono Litzs Wire. The black is the shielding and is about 2 cm across.

Coiltek or Nuggetfinder coils in high mineralized ground LitzsNF14by9
geof_junk
geof_junk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 933
Registration date : 2008-11-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:09 pm

Was kinda hoping to see a cross sectional shot showing how it sits in the casing...similar to my repairable rite off of the early fiberglass 16" NF SL ...yet thats an interesting show of the windings geof_junk thx for the shot.

Coiltek or Nuggetfinder coils in high mineralized ground P1380803

Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  fisho101 Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:36 pm

To participate in an experiment like this would require the participant to use all three brands of the same size on the same target undug in highly mineralized ground, I myself could not enter this experiment. Can anyone else?
fisho101
fisho101
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2011-05-05

Back to top Go down

Coiltek or Nuggetfinder coils in high mineralized ground Empty re coils

Post  Poopsy4254 Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:11 pm

If both makers are using the same wire & have the same number of windings in equivalent size coils can't see there being much dif? I only have Minelab & Coiltek but both worked well in WA last 2 trips. One thing though My mate and I were given a couple of 6" coiltek monos to test at Echunga for the maker, one was definitely noisier than the other on both GP3500s we used. So the manufacturing process, batch of wire, teminations, packing or lack of etc could come in to play. Definitely would be intersted in seeing a blind test using the one machine with a variety of like for like coils on a target in it's native state. Very Happy

Poopsy4254
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2012-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post  lbg dreamer Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Eureka wrote:which of these 2 brands of coil works best in high mineralized ground you can enter my poll if you want to.

many thanks.

cheers,

Tim eureka

Nugget finder are my choice
But others prefer coiltec
You can't go past the Minelab 11 inch mono
(but I don't own one still)
Most importantly it's the operator on the blunt end that makes the coil work how it's needed too Very Happy
lbg dreamer
lbg dreamer
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 942
Registration date : 2011-02-21

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum