Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Working a 4500 alongside a 2100.

4 posters

Go down

Working a 4500 alongside a 2100. Empty Working a 4500 alongside a 2100.

Post  G.B. Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:18 am

Hi everone.
As you all know I'm new member on this forum and new at detecting, however I have been reading the forum for quite a while now and find it very informative, the good humoured bantering between forum members makes it very enjoyable reading and like a good book find it very hard to stop until I have read everything. I must also say that the advice given to my two previous posts has been very sound and easy to understand and follow, so I thank you all in that regard.

Most of the time detect with a mate who has a minelab 2100, however even though I can tune out most of the interference coming from his detector it's a different story with his and he says that he can always hear mine from about 50 or 60 metres away and the interference gets worse the closer we get, I can see him becoming annoyed at times despite my best efforts to tune him out. (I could tell him to just put up with it but I'm not that sort of bloke, should be enjoyable for all concerned).

Question. I have followed the advice in the book re tuning the detector so what am I doing wrong or missing?.

Thanks G.B.

PS. My mate got me into detecting soI I'd like to do right by him. I'm also trying to get him to join this forum.

G.B.
G.B.
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1268
Registration date : 2012-01-31

Back to top Go down

Working a 4500 alongside a 2100. Empty Re: Working a 4500 alongside a 2100.

Post  kon61 Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:48 pm

G'day G.B

With proper tuning you'd be able to almost have that distance if both parties were using 4500s even better on 5000s,unfortunately the SDs are a bit of a problem on both operators and no,I don't believe your doing anything wrong,when all things have been tried and that's as far as you could go in tuning.Every one of us who prospects with mates finds this problem on a continuous basis.The best thing you could both do to keep the peace when encountering interference from one anothers detector,is to either switch off when getting to close to the other and take a break for a few minutes,till the other bloke has finished detecting that area and moved further away. Or,if for instance,when searching the same gully (Indian file),and you get to close to the bloke in front,switch off,go past the bloke in front of you telling him that due to detector interference your going further up ahead then come back and work the ground you believe you couldn't due to interference. This way there's a mutual respect towards one another which both parties will appreciate.One thing I should mention that I do find funny in some people(mates or no mates) (and I clearly remember being one of these culprits myself),is that how quick one is to suit up and get on the good looking ground before the next bloke.This is where I've thanked many a friend for cleaning out all the junk before me and leaving me the gold to find. Keep one thing in mind,detecting for gold is not a race to the finish line.In other words it's not about beating your mate to a previous patch or the head of the gully,but how thorough you work a particular section of ground.
P.S While where on the topic of interference,I've found that the smaller the size coil one uses on their machine,the closer one is able to work to the other and that EMI is also kept to a minimum.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  CostasDee Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:54 pm

Kon61, I recon you should consider maybe becoming a political leader (you're always so politically correct)...and that's a very good thing. A squillion times better than what we have to choose from now.
CostasDee
CostasDee
Management

Number of posts : 3971
Registration date : 2010-11-23

Back to top Go down

Post  vasilis Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:28 pm

Hey costasdee you should try prospecting with him first - exactly like the polis. Says one thing and does the opposite LOL
Only kidding !!!!
vasilis
vasilis
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 265
Registration date : 2010-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post  G.B. Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:38 pm

Thanks Kon61.

I'll be heading out Monday and Tuesday so I'll use you advice as well as the advice received in another post about coil choice I asked about. Maybe I'll finally find a piece over a gram.

PS. A bit of Political Correctness never hurt anyone.

G.B.
G.B.
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1268
Registration date : 2012-01-31

Back to top Go down