Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Finally!!! The Relief. There is gold in SA

+6
Ash100456
flyspecks
Hey presto
kilter
mariner3800
Joblo
10 posters

Go down

Finally!!!  The Relief.   There is gold in SA Empty Finally!!! The Relief. There is gold in SA

Post  Joblo Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:34 pm

Have been going out on and off since I bought my 5000 last year. Tried a few spots without really knowing what to expect or how to work the wands magic.

Found loads of garbage and started to get a bit disillusioned by the whole thing when something in my head clicked. I had been digging 20cm to 50cm holes for chunks of old machinery, tin cans bullets and casings without ever hitting any hard ground.

Here is a photo of some of my finds (Just the small stuff, I threw out all the nails and tin cans)

Finally!!!  The Relief.   There is gold in SA Stuff

If there was any gold it should be past this loamy stuff sitting on some hard clay or rock. With this in mind I spent a few hours last week covering some serious ground with my GPS, marking some likely spots.

And the Result

Sunday Morning. My first ever piece. I did cry a bit (Don’t tell anybody though).
15cm down in very rocky soil.
Finally!!!  The Relief.   There is gold in SA Nug-1

This Morning. Yes!!! It wasn’t a fluke.
10cm down in very rocky soil.

Finally!!!  The Relief.   There is gold in SA Nug-2

This in a very popular detecting area. Not getting much rubbish just the stuff no one else has picked out. 2 pieces of Gold and 15 shot gun pellets. My average is certainly looking up.

Hopefully all the relatives won’t look at me like I’ve lost my marbles when the wife tells them I’ve been out looking for gold anymore (They Still Will).

Cheers and thanks everybody for all the inspiration.
Joblo
Joblo
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2011-07-17

Back to top Go down

Finally!!!  The Relief.   There is gold in SA Empty Re: Finally!!! The Relief. There is gold in SA

Post  mariner3800 Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:58 pm

Hi Joblo,

Well done mate, you are well on your way to a golden future. It certainly makes a difference when you find the right ground. Looking at the nuggets, you could be in a bit of a spot.

The next step is to clear all the rubbish, branches etc in the area and go very slow, what size coils are you using, if I was to take a guess I would say the 11" mono? Keen to know.

Look forward to seeing the next one

Well done again

Peter
mariner3800
mariner3800
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1177
Registration date : 2010-11-04

Back to top Go down

Finally!!!  The Relief.   There is gold in SA Empty Re: Finally!!! The Relief. There is gold in SA

Post  Guest Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:04 pm

Hey joblo ,

Couple of nice bits there bro ... congrats !!!
You hit the nail on the head realising the gold will be sitting on a firmer base ... cheers
Hopefully they should start to come alot more often now ...
Good Luck on your future trips & thanks for sharing .
Regards
Gully Hunter

Back to top Go down

Finally!!!  The Relief.   There is gold in SA Empty 11" mono

Post  Joblo Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:52 pm

Have been using the faithful 11" mono. I do have a 14 x 12 eliptical I'll take with me next time.

The successful setup:

Fine Gold
Stabiliser 11
Gain 13

Doc's Gold screamer battery pack.
0.7m - 5m Coiled headphone cord running to some high quality ear buds.
Gives me heaps of room to move and I can wear a wide brimmed hat.
Sound seems a lot clearer than the standard set up.

After 11:00am she really starts to warble though. Suspect
Joblo
Joblo
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2011-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:12 pm

mate what a terrific story
congratulations on finding your first 2 pieces
may you find many more
cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  kilter Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:14 pm

Well done! I live in Vic but visit SA often and have a go at Euchunga now and then. No luck there, but haven't had any luck anywhere else either, so that's no surprise. I'm sure I'm probably doing something wrong too, and your story shows perserverence will win out!
kilter
kilter
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2011-09-08

Back to top Go down

Finally!!!  The Relief.   There is gold in SA Empty Re: FINALLY!!! THE RELIEF. THERE IS GOLD IN SA

Post  Hey presto Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:18 pm

Hello Joblo, well done on your finds. I am still to find my first bit with my new detector. The pressure to find gold is like that of an out of form batsman for Australia. You may have started a new gold rush in SA! Thanks for sharing your success.
Hey presto
Hey presto
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2011-12-22

Back to top Go down

Post  mariner3800 Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:32 pm

Hi Joblo,

Well done mate, you are well on your way to a golden future. It certainly makes a difference when you find the right ground. Looking at the nuggets, you could be in a bit of a spot.

The next step is to clear all the rubbish, branches etc in the area and go very slow, what size coils are you using, if I was to take a guess I would say the 11" mono? Keen to know.

Look forward to seeing the next one

Well done again

Peter
mariner3800
mariner3800
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1177
Registration date : 2010-11-04

Back to top Go down

Finally!!!  The Relief.   There is gold in SA Empty Finally!!! The Relief. There is gold in SA

Post  flyspecks Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:32 pm

thats just fantastic joblo, good luck at your next outing..... cheers Smile Smile
flyspecks
flyspecks
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 988
Registration date : 2011-05-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Ash100456 Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:47 pm

Congrats on your perserverance & rewarding gold finds, Yours is the first post i have seen on SA Gold so you are doing really well. Am yet to try golding in our own state but will be giving it a go in the not too distant future. I liked your logic !
Cheers
Ashley
Ash100456
Ash100456
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 893
Registration date : 2009-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post  piston broke Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:30 pm

Well done Joblo, those nuggets don't look like they've travelled far. Very Happy Cheers Pete.
piston broke
piston broke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1633
Registration date : 2011-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:55 pm

Well done mate. There won't be anyway of stopping you now.
Wombat Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  marty Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:02 pm

Good job mate,go hard.

marty
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 291
Registration date : 2010-10-07

Back to top Go down

Finally!!!  The Relief.   There is gold in SA Empty Finally the relief!! there is gold in SA

Post  Guest Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:08 pm

You never gave up joblo cheers and you were rewarded with some lovely nuggets Smile It is always a special feeling when you have unearthed some gold Smile Congratulations you can find it!

Eureka Dreams

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:44 pm

Joblo my 5000 is starting to get envious of finds like this Sad Great finds mate.
P.s Get stuck into the area really quick!
Cheers
Chris.

Back to top Go down

Post  nuggetseeker Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:16 am

++
+
+++++++-

good jod joblo just goes to show you cant give up. It took me 9 mths to get my first bit .A whopping .2grmr it was more releif than anything else. Good luck mate .

nuggetseeker
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2011-03-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Scrat Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:15 pm

Hi Joblo
Well done!
As a fellow Crow Eater I know how hard it is to find the good stuff in SA.
The areas available are insignificant compared to interstate and have been well and truly thrashed.
You've done very well, I have never found any yellow here in SA Embarassed
Regards
Scrat
Scrat
Scrat
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2011-06-21

Back to top Go down