Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Buying or Hiring a detector?

+3
mariner3800
Ash100456
byrner
7 posters

Go down

Buying or Hiring a detector? Empty Buying or Hiring a detector?

Post  byrner Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:48 pm

hey guys
would you bother buying a new detector for around a grand? would they be any good for finding gold? or would you just hire a gpx out every now and then and save for a gpx 5000

byrner
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2012-01-23

Back to top Go down

Buying or Hiring a detector? Empty Re: Buying or Hiring a detector?

Post  Guest Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:53 pm

a mate was getting a gpx 45 and he got enough gold to buy a sd 2200. he's done realy well with it as he's only had it for a week or so and pulled 3 ounces out with it already.
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  byrner Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:58 pm

yeah thats what i was thinking hire and hopefully when i find some cash it in and save for a detector, just a pain to hire as its a 2 hr drive to get one then drop it back and after a big weekend last thing i feel like is dropping it back

byrner
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ash100456 Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:21 pm

A $1000 new detector just wont cut it, Stoppsy right, Hire one & with a bit of begginers luck you could be purchasing a detector in no time.
Best of luck !
Cheers
Ashley
Ash100456
Ash100456
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 893
Registration date : 2009-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post  mariner3800 Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:28 pm

Another way at looking at it is as follows

To hire a 4500 is about $80 a day and you hire once a month, that is $960.00 Per year.

If you buy a detector for $4500 and get a loan or look for a shop that has flex buy and the repayments will work out about the same or a little but in the long term you will own the detector.

It all depends on how much you want to detect and how much you have been bitten by the bug??

Good luck with it

Pete

mariner3800
mariner3800
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1177
Registration date : 2010-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:32 am

byrner wrote:hey guys
would you bother buying a new detector for around a grand? would they be any good for finding gold? or would you just hire a gpx out every now and then and save for a gpx 5000

Gday

I guess it would really depend on how much time you are going to spend detecting, if you want the very best chance of being successful then it helps if you have the best tool for the job, hiring a top end machine will give you a good chance of getting some gold and also if you have not done this sort of thing before it will give you the chance of finding out if it is for you or not without exposing yourself to a huge outlay on gear.

Many people start with an earlier model pi detector such as the sd2000 or sd2100 these can be purchased for between $1000 and $1500 and a good learning outfit, use that for a year or so and then upgrade as their budget allows, or if they make some good gold finds, this would be a better option than buying even a cheap new detector for $1000, and would help you get to understand the workings of the pi machines so that when you can afford the latest machine you have at least some base experience and can better understand it.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  wil Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:50 pm

Smile Hi Byrner If U contact Goanna gold detectors at Greta near singelton they might post it out there & it still might be cheaper than driving, then U send it back to them.

speak to Bob or Judy they are very helpful & friendly. Phone: (02) 4938 7670

http://goannagolddetectors.com.au/

or If Im ever heading out that way for a swing at either Hill end or Stuart Town & its convenient I would be happy to pick it up & meet up
cheers
Wil

wil
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2008-12-30

Back to top Go down

Post  byrner Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:20 pm

ok thanks alot guys i might buy a sd 2200. are second hand detectors unreliable what are things that would go wrong with them? or do people mainly sell them to upgrade?

byrner
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:54 pm

G"day byrner. If you buy a second hand detector from a reputable dealer you usally get a 3 month warranty so if any thing does go wrong you have someone to fall back on which gives you peace of mind. If you get one privately then you probably wont get a warranty. All of my past detectors that I have traded in to upgrade have been in excellent working condition. Hope this helps, Steve

Back to top Go down

Post  Scotty Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:07 pm

Interesting that i purchased a SD 2100 blue box from this site for $500 dollars, first day out it found gold. For that price ill keep it along with my trusty old SD 2200D which has over time found numerous ounces of gold and paid for its self many times over, it has also killed many a new machine in many tests.
Learn your machine and have full fath in it, listen, look, research and many nuggets will come your way.
Scotty
Scotty
Scotty
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  hotrock Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:15 pm

mariner3800 wrote:Another way at looking at it is as follows

To hire a 4500 is about $80 a day and you hire once a month, that is $960.00 Per year.

If you buy a detector for $4500 and get a loan or look for a shop that has flex buy and the repayments will work out about the same or a little but in the long term you will own the detector.

It all depends on how much you want to detect and how much you have been bitten by the bug??

Good luck with it

Pete

An idea l was thinking about is buying a good quality second hand GPX4500 or GPX 5000 for $4,000 or $5,000 then if after a year you have found enough gold to pay for it then keep it, if not then sell it on ebay maybe, if you have kept it is good condition then maybe you could sell if for only a few hundred bucks less then what you paid, which would work out alot cheper then renting one for a year and alot easier.

hotrock
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2011-04-28

Back to top Go down

Buying or Hiring a detector? Empty something is better than nothing

Post  Greenwell2 Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:06 pm

I am speaking from experience here( sighs will get one eventually) ...Sad. Even a cheaper detector will find something somewhere and at least you can go out swinging. Wont bang on about using credit we are all sensible adults here ( smirks).
Cheers
Greenwell2
Greenwell2
Greenwell2
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2011-11-25

Back to top Go down

Post  wil Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:19 am

Hi Guy's all good options to consider there. Byrner if U decide to buy a secondhand detector from a dealer I'm sure Goanna gold give a longer warranty on secondhand machines than most others but check em out for yourself,I have bought a few detectors & all my equipment from them & they have been excellent.Also they have had a number of trade-in's lately so they might have something to suite.
I understand your delema I agonies over every decision (im not a tight ass just not flushed with $).
The best advise I have heard from most detecting forums is buy the best detector U can afford and get out into the field swinging.
I had an extreme but was detecting with others that had 4000 & 4500 ML machines so after a few months I up graded as they were obviously finding more & more often.That was probably due to my lack of experience & we were on flogged commons but I did nut out a few bits with the extreme & it run well.
Cheers
Wil

wil
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2008-12-30

Back to top Go down