Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What to look for when buying a used SD???

4 posters

Go down

What to look for when buying a used SD??? Empty What to look for when buying a used SD???

Post  sebtones Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:31 pm

Hi guys, i'm now in the market for a used SD and as i know bugger all about them i'm wondering what i should be looking for when i'm doing a pre-purchase inspection? What should i do to test it? What should it do and what shouldnt it do??
Thanks for any info, last week i was able to pay a motorbike mechanic $100 for a pre-purchase inspection and he saved me from buying a money-pit Ducati, unfortunately this one i'll have to do myself so i want to be as prepared as i can be. Cool
sebtones
sebtones
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2012-07-29

Back to top Go down

What to look for when buying a used SD??? Empty What to look for when buying a sd

Post  Goldpick Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:51 pm

Hi the only advice I could offer is try get 2200D if you must get a sd. I brought a 2100 and now wish I got a later model. Also most people on the forum seem to advise not to get a modded detector , I believe the reason is minelab won't toutch a modded detector if it needs fixing. I did ring minelab and spoke to a technition who told me they may not be able to fix a sd model now anyway , because they don't have some of the parts anymore. 2200 or better is my opinion.

Goldpick

Goldpick
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2012-07-24

Back to top Go down

What to look for when buying a used SD??? Empty Re: What to look for when buying a used SD???

Post  sebtones Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:51 pm

Thanks Goldpick, i am focusing mainly on the 2200 'cos unfortunately the GP's are outta my price range atm, heres hoping i find a decent amount of gold and can soon afford an upgrade!
sebtones
sebtones
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2012-07-29

Back to top Go down

What to look for when buying a used SD??? Empty Re: What to look for when buying a used SD???

Post  bowdo Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:31 pm

i was in the same boat ,wanted something that was decent at a good cheap price (wife put a limit on me as they do) i got a good sd 2200 with all accesories and i know it will be a good machine,i believe the older machines will do just as good as a new one in most occasions , only advice i can give is get something that has been looked after ,hope you can find yourself a good sd and have some luck with it
bowdo
bowdo
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2011-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post  getascripter Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:54 pm

If you look in the 'buy/sell' section, I have my SD2000 for sale at a pretty competitive price, considering everything that comes with it.

Now this is NOT a sales pitch ... but I HAVE found gold with this detector. So did the fellow who had it before me. But it is an older machine and you do have to take the time to learn to listen to it! It speaks differently to the later models ... but if you learn to listen, it WILL talk to you! It takes time, it takes patience!!

If you are starting out, you do NOT need to spend $6000 on a detector ... because you still have to learn it's language ... and it's a big investment if you're not sure that you are going to make this a long-time hobby!! And that is what 95% of detectorists are ... enjoying a hobby!!
getascripter
getascripter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1900
Registration date : 2012-04-26

Back to top Go down