Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

few things about the mozzy

+13
All-AU
Acrux93
Inhere
Nebuchadnezzar
flyspecks
shicer
detectoraid
goldslugger
Queenslander
mariner3800
richter-scale
The Modern Day Prospector
nero_design
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

few things about the mozzy Empty few things about the mozzy

Post  Guest Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:03 pm

a few things about the mozzy, the reason they attack as they sence that your hot so the blood flows faster wich brings the blood closer to the skin, they like the smells of perfumes and those sort of sprys that's the reason woman get attacked more than men, the more you get bitten more the mozzys will attack... they don't like bright coloures. so dress with loud coloures and don't put any smelly spays on.
few things about the mozzy 45377_10
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

few things about the mozzy Empty Re: few things about the mozzy

Post  nero_design Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:50 pm

Too right Stoppsy...

Don't forget that it's only the FEMALE mosquito that bites. And she's also the only one to make an AUDIBLE noise when she flies around. She makes that noise when she has mated and needs blood to help with the processing of nutrients for her fertilized eggs. They are attracted to CO2 (which is also how wasps know to chase you and sting your face) and are said to be attracted to people with higher sugar levels in their blood. Beer in the blood does a similar thing... But mosquitoes are ALSO attracted to movement and body odor (the smellier you are, the more they like you) as well as color and contrast. They particularly like darker clothes and fair skinned people.

My wife was swatting at them on the weekend whilst I was detecting and asked me why they left me alone because I'm usually a mosquito magnet with such high blood sugar levels ... I pointed out that I was wearing an ultrasonic mosquito repellant.

Looks something like this only smaller (see pic of a similar device below). Bought it at the post office... works like a charm so far. Haven't been bitten in the last two years but one did land on my shirt yesterday. Even the horse fly gave up and went after my wife instead. Lucky me!

few things about the mozzy 1286244664984_hz-fileserver2_6521753

Sometimes I clip it to my shirt pocket flap or even the back of my baseball cap.

nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2081
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post  The Modern Day Prospector Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:07 pm

( Bought it at the post office... works like a charm so far. )

Fair dinkum Nero, it really works? can you put a picture up and give us the name of it and I will get one, I don't mind trying these new gadgets and if it keeps em away makes for a happier prospecting day.

Cheers Brian.
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2011-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post  richter-scale Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:22 pm

come on you blokes harden the *#@* up! good old aeroguard is good enough.

richter-scale
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2011-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post  mariner3800 Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:37 pm

Hi All,

For those with an IPhone, you can down load a Mozzy repellent App, it also works really well on Kids cheers cheers

Mariner3800

Last edited by mariner3800 on Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
mariner3800
mariner3800
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1177
Registration date : 2010-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:38 pm

hey RS, aeroguard they just eat that now i use to put it on when i was out doing night detecting and got bitten big time, Dannyvic ended up with rossriver. nero i'll have to check them out thanks mate.
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  The Modern Day Prospector Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:54 pm

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ultrasonic-insect-Mosquito-Pest-Bug-Repeller-Repellent-/250786721420?pt=AU_Sport_Camping_Hiking_Tools&hash=item3a640dae8c

This one is on ebay, it's a Australian seller anybody used one. With the aeroguard the Queensland mossy drinks the stuff like fourex (xxxx), I use bushman but they still have a bite now and then, like I said I like gadgets.

Cheers

Last edited by The Modern Day Prospector on Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Extra Info)
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2011-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post  nero_design Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:58 am

few things about the mozzy Medium

few things about the mozzy Original

My wife took some pictures of me last week when we were detecting and if you look you'll see how small the device is on my shirt (my right pocket / left hand side pocket from the viewer's point of view). I had put some camo tape on it to stick it to the back of my cap ... otherwise it's a black plastic tube shaped like a bullet and just slightly larger than the battery. The device on my other pocket is a miniature Cree Diode flashlight (not an insect repeller).

However, just looking at the larger picture above... I notice that there's a big horsefly on my leg just below the bulge in my jeans from my wallet. Didn't think he landed on me but obviously he did.

That Bushman's Repellent is awesome stuff and works a hell of a lot more effectively than Aeroguard (and yes, we ran some blind tests using a human guinea pig for the job). Remember though that it contains DEET which may frost up any clear plastics and may turn black plastics white. It's also carcinogenic so avoid inhaling it.
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:38 pm

Gees nasanero, your first post and you come out with comments like that! Did you not read the forum policies! My memory's gone, Whats your excuse!

Back to top Go down

Post  Queenslander Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:39 pm

nasanero wrote:nero, how much sh1t do you wont to have hanging off you ? a knife same as mike dundee , replellent,gloves,knee and shin pads, them gay looking boots and shoes,and you still have to put your harness battery pack on ! carry a pick,you even carry your wallet in your pocket out detecting?even a torch! now try digging a good target with all this crap on ,you dont need half this gear to go out detecting, nero your got both hands on it .

Now I see mods why people are leaving this forum, because you have grubs like this bloke nasanero join up on this forum to abuse and name call posters that contribute to this forum. If you can't see whats right in front of you mods he joined up today 17/12/2011 and his first post was abuse to nero, so he joined for only on reason to stir ****, get rid of him and keep this forum free from abuse please or more will jump ship and the forum will go down hill from here, it starts with one grub then you will have many.

Queenslander
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2011-10-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:43 pm

nasanero has picked his timing. No mods on duty.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:55 pm

On that note I would say nasanero is a new old poster! So nasanero are you just going to hide and spout off?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:33 pm

there is a point tho like having a watch and all that it would upset the detector when picking up the targets. the less metal around the better the detector will go, this is why they have the carb upper and lower sharfts. you should even carry your pick on your sholder so it's not near the coil.
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:03 am

Hi Members,

I have delete all comments from "nasanero" Obviously he has no interest in this forum or its members and has been banned..

Its 12.00 Midnight.. Its Christmas and I'm exhausted after heaps of socializing from early this morning too now with people who know me and are my friends..

Do I need this Queenslander ??? - possibly not but I will try and serve the members of this forum the best I can..

Regards
Paul

Back to top Go down

Post  goldslugger Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:15 am

stoppsy wrote:there is a point tho like having a watch and all that it would upset the detector when picking up the targets. the less metal around the better the detector will go, this is why they have the carb upper and lower sharfts. you should even carry your pick on your sholder so it's not near the coil.
cheers
stoppsy
hi STOPPSY yeh sure there is a relevant and quite obvious point in his ranting, Rolling Eyes but eloquent he is not. Mad
another point, how can you be sure NERO is metal detecting? mbe is he just general prospecting or scoping? Idea
goldslugger
goldslugger
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 157
Registration date : 2011-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:29 am

that's true goldslugger as he don't have the gear on his back, but it is a good thing to bring up for the new people who are starting up detecting. the amount of new commers that detect for the first time have steal capped boots on.
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  nero_design Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:37 am

nasanero wrote:nero, how much sh1t do you wont to have hanging off you ? a knife same as mike dundee , replellent,gloves,knee and shin pads, them gay looking boots and shoes,and you still have to put your harness battery pack on ! carry a pick,you even carry your wallet in your pocket out detecting?even a torch! now try digging a good target with all this crap on ,you dont need half this gear to go out detecting, nero your got both hands on it .

If only you knew just how little I care for your thoughts on the matter. But I'll explain myself for the benefit of anyone else who comes across this thread:

I was more than 300km from my home base when those pictures were taken, not that my boots were visible in these pictures. I was also nearly a kilometer from my car. Which in turn was parked on a dirt track several kilometers from the nearest marked road. The nearest town was a long drive from where we were. I carry everything I need in lightweight form that I could require in the event of an accident or emergency far from assistance. Without the current technology available today, we carried close to the same weight and a lot more bulk as boy scouts camping in the National Parks in Australia. The pack I carry is extremely small and very lightweight when the water bladder is empty and I had water nearby out of range of the camera at the time those pictures were taken. My wife complained about the mosquitoes and noticed they were leaving me alone... because I was wearing something that repelled them. I radioed for her to come to where I was with one of the devices on my pack (a UHF Radio) and I pinpointed my targets as I dug them with another useful (though unnecessary) item on my pack: a pinpointer probe.

My wife and what she was wearing when I called her out to take shots of the old alluvial diggings we were on.

So what I get from your reply is that you are a complete tosser with some sort of envious fixation on whatever other people choose to use... with no value attached to safety and without a mind to bring with you the essential tools you might need out in the bush away from the assistance of others. I wasn't sitting at home in an armchair when we went out on that trip... I was exploring ancient alluvial sites and exploring old abandoned mines in difficult terrain and a long way from the comforts of city life and I spent over a year researching the locations I visited before getting around to actually doing so.

My original goal was to reduce my equipment to a basic pack that can be worn that will carry a First Aid Kit, Emergency rations and Water along with my Detector Battery. I wear a baseball cap because my scale burns in the summertime sun. The electronic mosquito repellant has been carried on my kit for over a year now. On the outside of my pack I have essential tools for the job and all of them I consider important for someone walking away from the safety of their vehicle in the deep bush. I don't like kneeling on uncomfortable sharp stones when I dig, and I never have... so I wore a new set of Kneepads whilst leaving my older and more uncomfortable set at home. Over the top of those I wore snake-guards as we are in snake plague conditions on the East Coast right now ... and under both I wore my new boots which I HAVE to wear because I have to protect my feet due to a medical condition where complications might arise if I am injured. I have a very different kit for working on the rivers and creeks when sluicing and it's a lot less cumbersome. If I dig a target, I can usually do so with minimum fuss. If it's a deeper target or a tricky one, I'll put my pack on the ground.

Junglee Hattori Fighter: fantastic knife though hard to find in the full size at 13 inches (33cm) long. I've had a leatherworker modify my holster for it (not visible in pic). The smaller knife in the picture is an absolute monster when it comes to folding knives with a 5.5 inch blade.

few things about the mozzy Crocodiledundeeknife
The knife Mick Dundee carried in the Corcodile Dundee movies was a custom made knife especially made for the film but it was based on the Kershaw 'Bowie' knife designs. It's actually an inferior design compared to any of the knives I carry and use.

As for a knife, that's a little one on my detector ... a Gerber, because the Gerber Big Rock (combo edge) knife is simply the BEST knife I've found for outdoor use. The one on my hip is a monster but it's a hell of a lot smaller than Mick Dundee's and a lot more practical with a semi-serrated blade. It's a full-size 'Junglee Hattori Fighter', which in my opinion as a knife collector of over 30 years, is one of the most perfectly balanced and practically designed knives in the world. If I choose to wear one, especially with the endorsement of my local licensing sergeant, then I'll do so... just not in public.

The Gerber 'Big Rock' knife is a smaller sheath knife with excellent ergonomics.

My pics weren't posed, they were taken by my wife when I asked her to take some shots of the site we were exploring... You sound like a miserable, cheap jerk. Your comments won't change my opinions on what gear I choose to wear because this is what I feel I need and this is what I have use for. It's also taken quite a while to locate and obtain the gear we use in our kits. I don't really care about what the army issues but my pack is a lot smaller than the standard these days. As a scout, out motto when I was a kid was "Be Prepared". Not everyone is going to wear what I choose to carry but the only tool missing from my kit was apparently you.

nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  goldslugger Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:41 am

stoppsy wrote:that's true goldslugger as he don't have the gear on his back, but it is a good thing to bring up for the new people who are starting up detecting. the amount of new commers that detect for the first time have steal capped boots on.
cheers
stoppsy
Very Happy all good S. i need to steal some steel cap boots too. Razz hard to get non ferrous boots on a budget tho. elastic sided don,t give enough ankle support either. rock on. cheers Cool
goldslugger
goldslugger
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 157
Registration date : 2011-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post  nero_design Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:48 am

another point, how can you be sure NERO is metal detecting? mbe is he just general prospecting or scoping? Idea

We were (as you put it) "scoping" for a future return to the area. I took a lot of soil samples and quartz rock back with me for sampling and we spent much of our time photographing the soil and layering on exposed upthrusts for examination later. Mostly I was looking for evidence of an ancient riverbed up high on the hills... If I visit a property with a view to detecting, I still carry essentially the same pack (it's small and lightweight) but leave most of my food and water at the vehicle in an esky chiller for when I return. Always carry plenty of water with me though after accidentally leaving it behind at the vehicle when I took out my first aid kit for bandaids.

It's funny: when I've found fantastic specimens and needed to chip off a sample, I didn't have protective glasses with me at the time so I chipped the samples off with a scarf around my face to protect from slivers and my eyes closed tight (not sensible).... but remembered to carry protective glasses in my pack in future. And when I needed an item missing from my earlier version of a first aid kit, I later packed on in each kit afterwards. When I got lost in a State Forest for a short while (all the pine trees are planted in a grid and their shadows disappeared when clouds formed), i vowed to buy a GPS to prevent a repeat. When I brought an uncharged battery with me to the goldfields by mistake once, I learned to double check the battery charge before I left from that day one. I only carry what i think I might need. I'm not being a d*ck and carrying junk that I think is cool ... I actually have use for it all. I hope I never need the PLB.
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  detectoraid Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:34 am

Great composition on the knife/gold photo Nero!

I too like the Gerber. Carry a small folder daily.

For a fighter I like my Gerber MK ll, razor sharp and extremely tough.

For hunting/skinning I use the Gerber hatchet knife combo and an Alaskin Ulu.

But for a work/utility knife you really can't beat a Cutco life time warranty (free replacement for any reason) and free sharpening.

I do carry a bit of survival gear in a fantastic pack made by Nimrod packs. It is absolutely the best thing I have found for my needs.
A well fitting comfortable pack is essential for me, not uncommon for me to hike many miles and pack back several soil samples.
detectoraid
detectoraid
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2008-12-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:08 am

stoppsy wrote:a few things about the mozzy, the reason they attack as they sence that your hot so the blood flows faster wich brings the blood closer to the skin, they like the smells of perfumes and those sort of sprys that's the reason woman get attacked more than men, the more you get bitten more the mozzys will attack... they don't like bright coloures. so dress with loud coloures and don't put any smelly spays on.
few things about the mozzy 45377_10
cheers
stoppsy

Gday Stoppsy

Good post re the mosquito, its also not well known that the bush fly has many of the characteristics of the mozzy, well the part of the main pest being the female bush fly who needs to get a dose of protein to be able to be fertile, they also track us by our exhaled breath and the reason they become so frenzied in the heat as they have no mechanism in their bodies to control the heat so the hotter it gets the faster they move about.

Also it would be nice for some of you people to follow the topic or stay close to it, whats with having to hang crap on other posters and the moderators, remember the first motto of the forum is "RESPECT" surely thats not too hard to remember, instead of taking pot shots why not try actually posting something worthwhile for a change as others like stoppsy and nero do.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:22 am

hey nero_design, you should start getting the wife to video use out in the bush digging up gold and doing the tests and that. it would be good to see these bits of gold getting unearthed. it's good to see the pix but a video is heaps better.
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:25 am

Queenslander wrote:

Now I see mods why people are leaving this forum, because you have grubs like this bloke nasanero join up on this forum to abuse and name call posters that contribute to this forum. If you can't see whats right in front of you mods he joined up today 17/12/2011 and his first post was abuse to nero, so he joined for only on reason to stir ****, get rid of him and keep this forum free from abuse please or more will jump ship and the forum will go down hill from here, it starts with one grub then you will have many.

Gday

People are leaving the forum by choice not because of the people who join my friend, its poor form to have a go at the moderators due to the people who join and decide to direct abuse at people, everybody who joins the forum joins on the same level but its up to them whether they do the right thing or not, its obvious that some people do join for the sole purpose of causing some grief, but how on earth can you say that they shouldnt be allowed to join the forum before they are even given the chance to make a comment about anything????.

I have been on this forum for long enough to have seen many many people leave, but I have also seen many of them come back too, the grass isnt always greener on the other side of the fence.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  Queenslander Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:47 am

( but how on earth can you say that they shouldnt be allowed to join the forum before they are even given the chance to make a comment about anything????.)

Where on earth do I say they can't join, and yes some members have left this forum because they can't stand the abuse and name calling. I wasn't having ago at the mods I was asking the mods to get rid of that bloke who was having ago of Nero, he joins yesterday and his first two posts were to give **** to Nero now thats a personal agenda anybody can see that. With the abuse and name calling this forum should have a zero policy and get rid of any poster who joins with the sole intent to stir up members who contribute to this forum, with positive posts on gold prospecting. You need to read my post a bit better before trying to lay blame on me

bye.

Queenslander
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2011-10-07

Back to top Go down

Post  shicer Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:52 am

[quote nasanero wrote:
nero, how much sh1t do you wont to have hanging off you ? a knife same as mike dundee , replellent,gloves,knee and shin pads, them gay looking boots and shoes,and you still have to put your harness battery pack on ! carry a pick,you even carry your wallet in your pocket out detecting?even a torch! now try digging a good target with all this crap on ,you dont need half this gear to go out detecting, nero your got both hands on it . [/quote] .

Well i was thinking that too but didn't say it .
Wonder where the pin pointer probe is? lol!
shicer
shicer
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2009-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:11 am

nero_design wrote:few things about the mozzy Medium

My wife took some pictures of me last week when we were detecting and if you look you'll see how small the device is on my shirt (my right pocket / left hand side pocket from the viewer's point of view). I had put some camo tape on it to stick it to the back of my cap ... otherwise it's a black plastic tube shaped like a bullet and just slightly larger than the battery. The device on my other pocket is a miniature Cree Diode flashlight (not an insect repeller).

However, just looking at the larger picture above... I notice that there's a big horsefly on my leg just below the bulge in my jeans from my wallet. Didn't think he landed on me but obviously he did.

That Bushman's Repellent is awesome stuff and works a hell of a lot more effectively than Aeroguard (and yes, we ran some blind tests using a human guinea pig for the job). Remember though that it contains DEET which may frost up any clear plastics and may turn black plastics white. It's also carcinogenic so avoid inhaling it.
is that a gold nugget in your hand? did you have a detector when this was taken? that bit is pretty clean if it's just come out off the grounds or is it just a photo (pose) to show us what you wear when your out hunting? it's just that even the knee pads arn't marked at all. if i had them they would be scratched to the living hell.
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

few things about the mozzy Empty few things about the mozzy

Post  flyspecks Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:32 am

GREAT POST stopsy. my wife is always getting bitten and it puts her off comming out into the bush with me sometimes..... nero, i havent bought one of those mozzy thingo's yet, but its next on the list.......also what you wear out inthe scrub, is up to you, we all do different things...... cheers
flyspecks
flyspecks
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 988
Registration date : 2011-05-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Nebuchadnezzar Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:41 pm

Never mind!

Last edited by Nebuchadnezzar on Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Nebuchadnezzar
Nebuchadnezzar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 205
Registration date : 2009-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post  nero_design Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:13 pm

is that a gold nugget in your hand? did you have a detector when this was taken? that bit is pretty clean if it's just come out off the grounds or is it just a photo (pose) to show us what you wear when your out hunting? it's just that even the knee pads arn't marked at all. if i had them they would be scratched to the living hell.
cheers
stoppsy

Yes, there is a nugget in my hand (only the thin edge is visible) and it's mostly covered in red soil so I don't see how you could assume it looked clean although I had rubbed some of the soil away with my thumbs and a bottle of water. I don't post pictures of nuggets on here as often due to an indicent last year. My wife took those two pictures with a 24-105mm lens without telling me so they weren't posed. I did ask her to take a shot of the gaiters, boots and kneepads to post here later (which was used in my boot thread on Magnum Spider Elite Shoes).

The ACU Digital Camo Kneepads were new... first time out with them. Same as the boots. I'd been wearing them for a few hours in the day and they have only minor marks on them because I was kneeling on dirt and leaf litter. My old pair of kneepads (from Bunnings Hardware) were black, filthy and rubbed all the skin off the back of my knees even with my jeans on. They were at home in my sluicing pack. Most of the diggin that day was on a sloped mountain side so there was not a gread deal of necessity for me to kneel as I could reach the soil I was diggin by standing below the area of interest.

The electronic Mosquito repeller has been work on my shirt or cap for the last year or more.

few things about the mozzy Large

There's actually quite a few different types of electronic Mosquito repellers out there. I'd like to hear from anyone else who has (or is) using them. Wish I'd bought more from Australia Post when I found them.

Nebuchadnezzar wrote:... It might also be stated that the images are unusual by showing Nero dressed up in prospecting gear which appears over-the-board and excessive. I can see how some would find it unneccesary to be carrying all that equipment. I for one have never seen anything like it in my thirty years of prospecting!

I didn't think it was excessive. See: I even needed the electronic Mosquito repeller. Excessive (for me) would have involved carting an extra detector or a tripod. I even left my Coiltek pinpointer probe at home. The only thing genuinely unnecessary was my sunglasses (because they get in the way and collect dirt and bugspray oils) and the watch on my hand (which weighs in at a staggering 15 ounces of stainless steel).
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Inhere Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:14 pm

Well, seems some people like taking the piss out Nero but think about it!

This site would be a lot poorer without Nero's posts, he puts a lot of work into them,
great photo's and lots of good info.

I reckon most who think about it would have to agree that he has a heap of talent in several area's.

So instead of trying to tug his chain, how about we give him a bit of encouragement
instead of having him feel the need to explain every little thing he wears etc,

Just my thoughts! Wink
Inhere
Inhere
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 941
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next