Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need help with sluicing

4 posters

Go down

Need help with sluicing  Empty Need help with sluicing

Post  DanielG Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:01 pm

Do many of you guys sluice? if so did you make your own equipment or did you order it? anyone know if you can get a small set up online? if so can someone link me?

Is it legal to do in all states?

DanielG
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2011-11-28

Back to top Go down

Need help with sluicing  Empty Re: Need help with sluicing

Post  maka Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:21 pm

yep, and build mine.. couldnt buy anything exactly like i wanted.
maka
maka
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 626
Registration date : 2011-06-28

Back to top Go down

Post  DanielG Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:03 pm

Yeah i've looked into a few different variations of it for australia, self sufficent ones etc etc but they all look dodgy. So i am going to build mine, doesn't look too hard really and will cost bugger all to make so ill knock up a few smaller versions and post how i go! hahaha

DanielG
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2011-11-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:48 pm

Hi Daniel,
There are few very good forum members who do only sluicing no metal detecting.I am sure they will answer some of your question.
When you post a new topic try to post it in a right section and you will get much more answers.This general equipment,prospecting section has sluicing section so if you post there lot of guys with same interest will post back.
Also on first page you can search in right hand corner any topic and you will have years to read Smile.
Good luck

Back to top Go down

Post  Goldbait Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:57 pm

i attempted to make mine, but i just didn't have the equiptment, and the money i spent in my attempts i wish i had put towards buying one.

in saying that, don't get anything less than 8 inches wide. my 6" wide mini high banker was just way too small.

i'd probably go to 10" wide next time i buy a sluice.
Goldbait
Goldbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2010-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post  skysite Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:42 pm

Danielg
Check out marchu and James 101 posts on here there posts are very informative and I always live by the rule keep it simple.....
Dave
skysite
skysite
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 223
Registration date : 2011-01-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:08 pm

Goldbait stated: i attempted to make mine, but i just didn't have the equiptment, and the money i spent in my attempts i wish i had put towards buying one.

Honestly guys or gals, take heed of Goldbait's statement. I've been in the Mechanical and Engineering trade for most of my life, so the idea of knocking up a sluice at home seemed all to easy? Not easy at all if you don't have the equipment, everything turns into make shift and if your not good at that your project will more then likely fail or turn very expensive!
My personal tip if your welding up your design in steel, Use plain black steel, then when your happy with the design, get it galvanized , or just paint it! Way less buckling, neater welds, and no Gal poisoning??? You guys think using Mercury is bad!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:15 am

Someday, I shall 'take exception' to a small portion of your good advice - possibly just to expand on it some.

"I've been in the Mechanical and Engineering trade for most of my life, so the idea of knocking up a sluice at home seemed all to easy? Not easy at all if you don't have the equipment, everything turns into make shift and if your not good at that your project will more then likely fail or turn very expensive!
My personal tip if your welding up your design in steel, Use plain black steel, then when your happy with the design, get it galvanized , or just paint it! Way less buckling, neater welds, and no Gal poisoning??? You guys think using Mercury is bad!"

May I suggest that "... knocking up a sluice at home ..." to you (with your high level of experience, expectations and performance) is a bit different than, say to me. You are a professional, and I am a semi-knowledgeable amateur. To be quite honest (to myself I guess) I build something to test a principle of recovery. If that test is successful and I wish to use it, then I would seek a professional fabricator, like yourself, to create a “perfect rendition” for production mining.

My preferred material for home mining projects is aluminum. Given the correct hardness, and using a home made angle iron break, bends come out well enough to do the purpose. (Over here we might call that "Good enough for government work").

Throwing together a simple trough is easy. Cutting either black ribbed rubber or Miners’ Moss is simple. Bolting components together is easy enough and cutting raised expanded is no big deal.

Now, a proper, professional built recovery unit is certainly less worry some in use than a simple trial unit – but – the satisfaction is just as rewarding.

One last thought:

You should read about the "Pop and Sons" sluice. A small one might be what you are looking for:

http://bb.bbboy.net/alaskagoldforum-viewthread?forum=2&thread=694

Joe

Last edited by KAEOJ on Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:35 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : One last thought)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:07 pm

Your right Joe, about the satisfaction, to be able to create something yourself is a pat on the back for anyone who is willing to give it a go Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
I don't ever pre write my replies on word or notebook, my comments are straight of the bat. Fearing being logged out before I press send I short cut my posts!
In doing so I often leave out the more meaningful.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:25 pm

Someday -------

Need help with sluicing  YouaretheMan

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:47 pm

Sorry for hijacking your post DanielG. I promise I'll give it back!
ha ha Joe. my last post wasn't about me at all No My computer skills are nill, my talking skills aren't much different! Thats me. Heaps inside, trying to get it out in a proper manner is a different story! Speach! Not the other end? Thou some would say different!

Back to top Go down