Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coiltek pin pointer

5 posters

Go down

Coiltek pin pointer Empty Coiltek pin pointer

Post  happydiggings Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:58 pm

Hi all

I am looking at getting a coiltek pin pointer.
Are they worth having.... I have not used a pin pointer before.
I know that they mite be a pain to carry around with you, as they plug into the detector.

Bob

happydiggings
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-02-22

Back to top Go down

Coiltek pin pointer Empty Re: Coiltek pin pointer

Post  Guest Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:11 pm

Gday Bob

Best p/pointer in the world for depth and sensetivity, tad hard to control but otherwise great help on deep digs

pete in WA Cool

Back to top Go down

Post  nero_design Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:32 pm

They're the best pin-pointer for Gold Prospectors using Minelab PI detectors ... superior to the Garrett Pro-Pointer with depth and less prone to falsing. But remember to "dangle" the probe over the target rather than hold it like a wand (or like the Garrett Pro-Pointer).

Personally, I think you should learn to extract your targets via coil-pinpointing and save the probe for those deeper holes where you don't want to strike the nugget with a pick... or where you can't seem to be able to find it because the coil is too large to accurately pinpoint where the target lies in the hole. Don't hold the Coiltek probe horizontally.
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Coiltek pin pointer Empty pinpointer

Post  au79 Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:13 pm

Gday Hd i have been using the coiltech pointer for the last year and have no complaints they do seem to go better than others on the the market.I have mine mounted on my 45 with a switch block so i dont have to unplug the coil just switch from coil to pointer.I tried to post a photo but it doesnt seem to let me a the moment.cheers au79
au79
au79
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2010-07-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Coiltek Manufacturing Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:24 pm

Hi all,

Yes the pinpointer is a great tool but as mentioned it is hyper-sensitive.

I have a short video being made soon on the use of the pinpointer which will be on our YouTube channel soon which will explain how to use it (Do's and Don'ts)

As it plugs into the SD/GP/GPX machines it works as a pulse induction MONO coil and needs to be balanced and treated the same way however hovering over the ground by 1 inch will eliminate the noises created when touching the ground. Slow and steady movements ensure the probe stays stable and use it like a pendulum holding the cable just above the entry point on the unit. As Nero mentioned, it is not recommended to be held like a wand, any directional changes create a ground relationship change.

Once the technique is mastered it will help very well. cheers
http://coiltekmanufacturing.com.au/pinpointer.html

I hope it helps - I also think there was a video on YouTube by Ararat some time back where he videoed his father locating a target in a hole with the probe. Maybe this could be provided by him as I can't seem to find it!

Regards,
Trevor
Coiltek Manufacturing
Coiltek Manufacturing
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2008-11-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:57 pm

Hi Trevor,

Its not one of mine however I do know of said video, when I get home this arvo I will post the Youtube link

Regards
A

Back to top Go down

Post  detectoraid Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:42 pm

The one I like coiltek no longer makes. Its the "potato masher".
Ont tip tho, turn off the detector before switching on the probe even when using the switching block.
Most often I'll carry the Commander 5x10 DD and use it as a Pin Pointer.
detectoraid
detectoraid
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2008-12-13

Back to top Go down

Post  nero_design Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:22 pm

Coiltek pin pointer Original
My wife using the 8" Coiltek Probe in NSW last year

This is how the Coiltek Probe is usually held... as Trevor said: Just behind the cable entry point to the unit.

I carry a 6" Coiltek Monoloop Goldstalker "Sniper Coil" for this purpose much of the time. Unlike the PinPointer Probe, I can stick that on the end of a GP/GPX detector and use it to find subgrammers on the bedrock near the creekbed. A LOT of US Prospectors are using the 6" Coiltek for the purpose of a pinpointer although the Probes are much slimmer and can be more easily carried in your pack etc.

6" Coiltek Monoloop "Goldstalker" series Coil

The Potato Masher that detectoraid was referring to was around 4" across at the coil-end and (probably) around 1.75 inches tall on the coil-end, not including the handle/shaft of the unit. Been about a year since I played with one of those but I like the newer 8" Probe more.

Coiltek pin pointer Medium
The "Vibraprobe 870" Pinponter Probe... which is now superceeded with a more recent model I think.

Another pinpointer Probe I used in the past was the waterproof "Vibraprobe 870" Pinponter Probe which is Pulse Induction but will drive you nuts with a PI detector because it has no on/off button and relies on detecting no metal targets for 60 seconds before turning itself off. The pulse from your GP/GPX will therefore prevent it from switching off. But it can be used underwater and is a great addition to the X-Terras around creek beds.
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:17 pm

ARARAT wrote:Hi Trevor,

Its not one of mine however I do know of said video, when I get home this arvo I will post the Youtube link

Regards
A

As Promised ..Credits to Arltunga2007 >> who ever he is Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:28 pm

great vid and nugget well done !! it wasent in Vic. I hope ?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:08 pm

just dont but 1 off eureka

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:43 pm

I think that vid was posted by "rick" the bloke who used to run the detector shop in alice springs..

Pete in WA Cool

Back to top Go down