Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Going to Tibooburra at Christmas 2011

3 posters

Go down

Going to Tibooburra at Christmas 2011 Empty Going to Tibooburra at Christmas 2011

Post  MT Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:59 am

Hi everyone,
This is my first post and Im hoping I'll get some input into what to expect (except for alot of heat) going out to Tiboorurra this Christmas with the kids during the school break. I'll be panning with whats called a panners mate, and I'll have a water supply. Im not sure where to go now as Ive heard the spot I was going to camp and fossick is now no longer available. I do not have a gold detector so we shall be panning most of the time. Any hints and what we should take and what we should be looking for will be greatly appreiciated. We have, I think, what we'll need for the camping side, its the gear we should take for prospecting and where to camp (somewhere where your allowed to)

thanks in advance
kind regards
Mark
MT
MT
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-10-10

Back to top Go down

Going to Tibooburra at Christmas 2011 Empty Re: Going to Tibooburra at Christmas 2011

Post  Guest Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:05 am

Hi Mark

In simple terms, forget tibby in the middle of summer, temps can reach 49- 50c in the shade
even the locals dont venture outside unless its dire needs..

Pete in WA Cool

Back to top Go down

Going to Tibooburra at Christmas 2011 Empty Re: Going to Tibooburra at Christmas 2011

Post  Guest Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:37 pm

beepinpete wrote:Hi Mark

In simple terms, forget tibby in the middle of summer, temps can reach 49- 50c in the shade

Pete in WA Cool

I second that and turd it a swell !!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:47 pm

beepinpete wrote:Hi Mark

Pete in WA Cool

Hi Mark .... Peter & Murachu are right in what they are saying. cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:01 pm

I'll third that, even Overlander just in from Shark Bay, Mid summer 50+ degrees! Try getting fuel out of there bowses, even with them putting wet Hessian bags over the bowsers to reduce evaporation in the middle of the day, Hay it only took 20 minutes and I got 1/4 of a tank of fuel "If your lucky". September is the best time if your going to WA, Nice temp, and the wind is mild!
Lived there for 10 years, Sep is the time to go!

Back to top Go down

Post  Imadogman Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:40 pm

I was there in October -- left on the 17th. Already very hot. Don't do it! Find somewhere with a nice river in NSW. Kids will luv that.
Imadogman
Imadogman
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 376
Registration date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Post  MT Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:38 am

Yes its going to be very hot if we go to Tibooburra. Our freinds own the "Family Hotel" in Tibooburra so we should't get too hydrated! I've checked with them the temp and the local post office for the month of December and it averages 35 deg..If we do still go, have you any tips etc for the stay/trip? The location to fossick is the problem. Any advise is still welcome.
kind regards
Mark
MT
MT
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Going to Tibooburra at Christmas 2011 Empty RE Tibooburra

Post  peteyboy50 Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:28 pm

Hey MT , if you can handle the heat - a good place to pan would be the creek near a shearing station sort of north/west of milparinka township.
There is a waterhole there and huge trees in the sandy creek beds for shade , kids can catch yabbies (hundreds) and you can pan your heart out.
There is a memorial nearby , just not sure of the name of the creek .
We had a wild western night there at the pub last august and was awesome - local are great.
Good luck.
Pete.

peteyboy50
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:54 pm

MT wrote:

Yes its going to be very hot if we go to Tibooburra. Our freinds own the "Family Hotel" in Tibooburra so we should't get too hydrated! I've checked with them the temp and the local post office for the month of December and it averages 35 deg..If we do still go, have you any tips etc for the stay/trip? The location to fossick is the problem. Any advise is still welcome.
kind regards
Mark

G'day Mark

If your friends own the "Family Hotel" they should be able to tell you where to go as they take the money for the camping/detecting/prospecting fee for the propertys that you can go on to look for gold.

If you just want to go on the common then just pick a spot, the town is on the common and its common all the way out to the first grid on the way into town.

Keep a close eye on your kids in the heat, heat stroke happens very quick out there in summer if your not prepared.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  MT Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:51 pm

Hi Dave,
Thanks for the info.I've had second thoughts about going to Tibooburra. What changed my mind is the amount of snakes we've seen in the past month. Last encounter was with a red belly black last weekend. I dont like the idea of being out there with very snake known to mankind wondering around, day and night. If the heat is as bad as everyone says, I might go fishing/camping up to Stanage for a couple of weeks and go to Tibooburra in the cooler months.
kind regards
Mark

Last edited by MT on Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
MT
MT
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:51 pm

Good idea m8, I think you'll enjoy the fishing much more in the hot weather. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:38 pm

Fresh Grilled Flathead Fillets, Very Happy

Back to top Go down