Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Matrix Reef Rheola

Go down

Matrix Reef Rheola Empty Matrix Reef Rheola

Post  Guest Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:01 pm

In 1974 I was detecting around the Matrix reef Hill just above where the remains of the old Puddler at the foot of the hill. I had been there all day with no signals until late in the day when I got this beautifull broard very soft mellow tone that was located approx half way up the left hand side (looking up towards the mine at the top of the hill)of the hillside washaway. I dug down about a foot and the signal was stronger but still deep;It was dark and a storm was about to break and I was not equiped to dig at night so I left it for another day, I was in the RAAF and had to get back to base.
About a month later I was able to get back to the reef but now there were Mining Lease signs up covering the area I needed to get to. So I packed up and left.
Now I know that the Matrix Reef area has been done to death since that time and is still covered by a mining lease but if any of you blokes want to give it a try and see if you can find that signal I would like to know what you find there before I go wheels up.
If you stand at the old puddler site and look up at the mine on the top of the hill the signal I got (the only one for the dayon that part of the hill) was off to the left at about 45 degrees up the left hand side of the washaway and approx half way up the slope. Whether any of that exists today I don't know.

Back to top Go down

Matrix Reef Rheola Empty Re: Matrix Reef Rheola

Post  Guest Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:06 pm

Bugger the signs mate,you detected that signal BEFORE it was a lease so I would have been digging it out for sure.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:18 pm

Gus wrote:Bugger the signs mate,you detected that signal BEFORE it was a lease so I would have been digging it out for sure.

bad advice !! its not an EL its a ML and as some one who has had to go through all the hoops to get a claim at considerable expense I would take a dim view of any trespasser on my mining claim! Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:23 pm

Oh well, that is just the way I am. Yes Murachu I know what you mean.
The RAAF kept me busy and away from the area so the oportunity never came up again. I knew there was still more gold to be found there to the W S W and W N W of the reef.
it would be interesting to know if anybody has found/metal detected any good size nuggets there during the past 37 years??

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:41 pm

Adrian SS wrote:Oh well, that is just the way I am. Yes Murachu I know what you mean.
The RAAF kept me busy and away from the area so the oportunity never came up again. I knew there was still more gold to be found there to the W S W and W N W of the reef.
it would be interesting to know if anybody has found/metal detected any good size nuggets there during the past 37 years??

Im sure there was Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:59 pm

Murachu wrote:
Gus wrote:Bugger the signs mate,you detected that signal BEFORE it was a lease so I would have been digging it out for sure.

bad advice !! its not an EL its a ML and as some one who has had to go through all the hoops to get a claim at considerable expense I would take a dim view of any trespasser on my mining claim! Evil or Very Mad

It wasnt advice Mr Murachu,its just what I would do if i found myself in that situation.
And lets face it,how much gold can one man with a pick dig up in a short time?
I would agree with you if that person took a Bulldozer onto the lease,but he dindt,so I dont agree.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:08 pm

Looks like the ML/Claims have expired, and now seems to be covered only by and EL from the GeoVIC site data I had a look at.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:08 pm

Gus wrote:
Murachu wrote:

It wasnt advice Mr Murachu,its just what I would do if i found myself in that situation.
And lets face it,how much gold can one man with a pick dig up in a short time?
I would agree with you if that person took a Bulldozer onto the lease,but he dindt,so I dont agree.

We will agree to disagree then Gus! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:44 pm

i think you done the right thing by not going into that clame, it's just the same as jumping someones fence and detecting there land you could end up with a shot over your head bugger that. i don't think i would like people jumping my clame that i paid big money for.
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:08 pm

Well there ya go, find out where the owners of the lease are and see if they will let ya look for my old signal.
There was one time when I went onto a Mining Lease that wasn't mine after I had spotted the Sign, but I couldn't shake the bad kama feeling that followed me everywhere while I was there. I have never done it again and know that I would be peed off if someone went onto my claim or lease,....... of which I now have none. Wouldn't mind pegging a bit of ground around the Matrix Reef but....About 20 acres should do it I think Very Happy
I like to feel relaxed when prospecting and not looking over my shoulder all the time.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:23 pm

i would love to have a clame pegged out as well it would be awesome..
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Matrix Reef Rheola Empty Matrix reef 1972 RAAF query

Post  Goldhere Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:17 pm

I just saw your post from 2011. I have some information for you re your signal.!!!! As a new member I cant send you my email for 7 days so if you could send me a link I would love to talk to you!! Kind regards

Goldhere
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2014-09-11

Back to top Go down