Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

relationship between gain and stabalizer

4 posters

Go down

relationship between gain and stabalizer Empty relationship between gain and stabalizer

Post  harrysheroes Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:03 am

Hi to all,

I have read a lot that says i should keep the gain and stabalizer settings no greater than about 6 ie gain 14 stabaliser around 9-10,

However i run mine at a gain of 17 with my stabalizer at 3-4 this is on my 5000 with a 14x9 NFA coil i find that if i wind up the stabalizer
my threshold becomes more unstable.
I always believe rightly or wrongly that the gain setting should be as high as possible, this issue does confuse me and my mates when we detect and it is a discussion point over a beer around the fire.

cheers
Marty
harrysheroes
harrysheroes
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2010-10-31

Back to top Go down

relationship between gain and stabalizer Empty Re: relationship between gain and stabalizer

Post  deutran Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:42 am

Hi Marty
The difference of 6 is only a recommendation,however the setting of 3-4 on your stabilizer is well below FP and you may be missing the weak signals in favour of stability.In some situations this may be an advantage so if your happy with this stay with it.Ive found little benefit with Rx greater than 16 and often run 14.Above 16 seems to make the detector more jittery and picks up more hot ground.However on small coils I do occasionally run 18 if conditions allow.I do know of one full time prospector who uses 20 and quiet audio.
The common setting for stabilizer is 7-9 that most are using from what I can see so that allows an RX of 13-15.
Steve
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

relationship between gain and stabalizer Empty Re: relationship between gain and stabalizer

Post  Mechanic Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:23 am

G,day Marty,

With the gain, higher numbers = more gain,
Stabiliser, low numbers = more stable eg. 1, high numbers = less stable eg.15

Don't worry your not the only one that this confused Very Happy

Cheers Mick

Mechanic
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 695
Registration date : 2011-02-20

https://DetectronicsAustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:42 am

with the little bit of air testing i have done ( target NOT in ground ) i found that with gain on 19 stabilizer on 3 , you didn`t get as much depth as gain on 14 stabilizer on 8.
in my opinion keep the stabilizer around 8-10 and adjust the gain to suit
cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Flakmagnet Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:50 pm

hi Phoenix dave,

your suggestion is a lot closer to what most people
who are up on the 5000, recommend for Gain and Stabilizer settings.

Flakmagnet
Flakmagnet
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post  harrysheroes Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:45 pm

Thanks for the feedback i am going to try what you have suggested next time out, I will set my gain to 14 and put the stabalizer at around 8-10 and see what happens.
Thanks Marty
harrysheroes
harrysheroes
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2010-10-31

Back to top Go down