Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

M/L don't repair cells

+5
Ayounomad
Mechanic
Nightjar
CostasDee
GoldstalkerGPX
9 posters

Go down

M/L don't repair cells Empty M/L don't repair cells

Post  Guest Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:59 pm

this is what M/L email back to me...
Have you tried charging the battery again and checking the run time?

If you only get a few hours again, then the chances are one or more of the cells are no longer holding a charge.
We can check out the battery for you, but if the reduced run time is due to faulty cells, then we cannot repair it.
The only option is to buy a new battery.

cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

M/L don't repair cells Empty Re: M/L don't repair cells

Post  Guest Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:07 pm

stoppsy wrote:
If you only get a few hours again, then the chances are one or more of the cells are no longer holding a charge.
We can check out the battery for you, but if the reduced run time is due to faulty cells, then we cannot repair it.
The only option is to buy a new battery.

cheers
stoppsy

Yeah they can not repair the cells, but surely they can replace them? And yes the other option is buy a new one, it's not the only option.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:09 pm

I thought that they would be able to be replaced Question

Whats a new battery worth, 5-6 grams Question
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  CostasDee Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:10 pm

Hey stoppsy.

I haven't looked inside a ML battery as I run an older machine, but I am sure you can replace the cells in it yourself. Somewhere I have a link to an excellent Li-Ion cell supplier that should do. Or better still, to make your hunting easier, open the battery case and see what cells it has in it.

Cheers
CostasDee
CostasDee
Management

Number of posts : 3971
Registration date : 2010-11-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:11 pm

i messaged coiltek to see if they had any 4000 batterys but havn't got anything back.. i might message M/L to see if they have any 4000 batterys...
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:15 pm

Stoppsy, the cells in the battery I'm pretty sure is not much more than a bank of recharble batteries, might pay to open it up and have a look inside. could be a quick fix....I'm sure that someone on the forum would be savy on this and may be able to help or advise.

What about a 4500 battery? then you will have the amp for your external speaker too.
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:19 pm

GoldstalkerGPX is right stoppsy you don't need a 4000 battery as a 4500 or 5000 battery will do the job quite nicely.

And if you look on eBay you can find the same cell size Li batterys and do the job your self.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:29 pm

Typically, if the batteries can be charged to capacity then there's no broken circuit!

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:39 pm

Hey Stoppsy,
Something worth trying before outlaying for a new battery.
Rig up your machine with coil attached.
Before going to bed, turn it "on" and leave it overnight.
Recharge it next morning.
Discharge it again over the following night and see how it goes.

Don't quote me, because I can't verify the following info because have never opened up our 4500 batteries.
I was told these are the batteries used;
http://www.premierbatteries.com.au/sm/lithium/Rechargeable/UR18650/UR18650%20(2.6Ah).pdf

Already posted this once and it disappeared into cyber space?

Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:58 pm

There are these on eBay fairly cheap, you would need 8 off them. Join 2 batteries in series to give 7.4v times 4 sets of two. Then join the 4 sets in parallel to give plenty of run time.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-x-18650-4200mAh-3-7V-Li-ion-Rechargeable-battery-cell-Tab-Ultracell-Rose-/190579539367?pt=AU_Electronics_Batteries_Chargers&hash=item2c5f6cfda7

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:08 pm

the inside of the battery, the battery packs are stuck in there very well and can't move them

M/L don't repair cells Gpx_4046

M/L don't repair cells Gpx_4047

cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  Mechanic Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:48 pm

Hi Stoppsy,

They probably use either hot melt glue or double sided tape to hold the cells in place. Try heating up the housing a little and then carefully pry the batterys off. Have you found the other spare battery yet?
Would there be a kind soul out there willing to lend you a battery?
I will repack your battery with new cells, for the price of the new cells. Could be out your way on saturday, but not too sure yet. You would be without your battery for a week or 2 while I sourced the new cells and installed them....

Cheers Mick

Mechanic
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 695
Registration date : 2011-02-20

https://DetectronicsAustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:56 pm

Stoppsy,
Don't heat the batteries!
Enough said!
Cheers
Peter
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Post  Ayounomad Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:09 am

G'day Stoppsy , I see the date on your battery means your batteries are nearly 5 years old ...{ assuming they were new when battery was put together }..Just pry those suckers out of there and replace ALL of them ..I've never had lithium ion batteries in some laptops last more than a couple of years ..If one cell is gone then the rest are not far off failing.....Probably 80 to 120 bucks for decent replacement cells { guessing ? } cheers ,Paul...
Ayounomad
Ayounomad
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 164
Registration date : 2008-12-21

Back to top Go down

Post  spinna Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:55 am

stoppsy,
Offer still stands
PM me. Could meet centrally at say Avoca
Cheers spinna

spinna
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:44 am

Pry those suckers out Stoppsy,so we can see what it is we need to source to re-rig our own units.
I`ll be buggered if Im gunna pay $400 for a new battery.Thats off the planet Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:05 am

Pretty sure that these are the same specs and at $5.54 for 2 thats not real expensive.....just a bit over $22 for enough to do the job.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-PCS-18650-2400mAh-3-7V-Li-ion-rechargeable-battery-/170610407507?pt=AU_Electronics_Batteries_Chargers&hash=item27b92c3853

These ones are a little more expensive, it would be just a bit over $44 for enough to do the job, but they have the tabs allready on the ends for joining together and about double the mAh hour rating

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-x-18650-4200mAh-3-7V-Li-ion-Rechargeable-battery-cell-Tab-Ultracell-Rose-/190579539437?pt=AU_Electronics_Batteries_Chargers&hash=item2c5f6cfded

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:20 pm

Mechanic wrote:
I will repack your battery with new cells, for the price of the new cells. Could be out your way on saturday, but not too sure yet. You would be without your battery for a week or 2 while I sourced the new cells and installed them....

Cheers Mick

Gee Mick, keep telling us that and you might have a new cottage industry to keep yourself entertained Laughing Laughing Laughing

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:07 pm

Contact Reeds Prospecting supplies, the people who make the lucky lark batteries makes the ML batteries. $120-$150 from memory to repack your case.
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

M/L don't repair cells Empty m/l don't

Post  arjay Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:59 pm

strewth narrawa,you're looking at twice that at reeds,i know,just had mine done,$260. reg
arjay
arjay
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2010-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:35 pm

arjay wrote:strewth narrawa,you're looking at twice that at reeds,i know,just had mine done,$260. reg
You may be right Arjay, the 120 was what i was quoted a couple of yrs back for my 4000 batt repack.
New owners now so i guess, prices are subject to change without notice applies.
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:40 pm

coiltek today just said to send it to M/L to get it tested and they will tell me what needs to be done and email me about it...
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  goldhog22 Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:10 pm

Hi All , Becareful changing the cells in your ML batt.pak. You just carnt buy new cells and solder them in and charge it and expect it to go, IT WONT, I know I tried, I later found out" after killing a lot of cells" that each cell has to be balanced with all the other cells before they are put in .Even then its a slow job bringing them all up to top volts, at the same time. If one cell is low it will kill all the others.The top volts for a cell is 4.2 and the lowest it can go is 2.2..I use a swallow ac/dc charger to do each cell on its own...And it works.... If you are going to do it dont just pull the cells out,cut the pink cover down the middle and take the cell out leaving the cover in there ,you put the new cell in side the old cover. And get the + - ends right, . And dont forget to put the black ties back to keep them tight..Good luck, pm me if you want more info..

goldhog22
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2008-12-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:19 pm

I use a swallow ac/dc charger to do each cell on its own
Iv been using the old Swallow Advance for a few years now to charge and rejuvenate my batteries. Top bit of gear that and money well spent when your dealing with so many battery types.
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  goldhog22 Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:33 pm

Narrawa wrote:
I use a swallow ac/dc charger to do each cell on its own
Iv been using the old Swallow Advance for a few years now to charge and rejuvenate my batteries. Top bit of gear that and money well spent when your dealing with so many battery types.

Yes, dont know what I would do with out it, Ive just brought a 200 A/H Li-ion batt for the van, and its been a BIG eye opener. Even with that batt, I had to balance each cell before it could be used.. But half the weight of the two AGMs I had, and twice the useable amps..
I used the little swallow to top the slow cells up as it charged, and a globe with 2 wires to pull the ones down that were in front. All good now its putting it in the van that the next job..
thanks for the reply, Bob

goldhog22
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2008-12-04

Back to top Go down