Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coiltek regulated Battery system

Go down

Coiltek regulated Battery system Empty Coiltek regulated Battery system

Post  Bullet Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:44 pm

I've just bought the new set up so I can run my big coils with my Extreme. The gelcells just don't do the job as I can't get enuff voltage into them with the 240V chargers (about 6.6v max) and the chap I go scrub with is a bit shy about using the 12v chargers in his 4WD. I usually stick with a 14x9 coiltek mone ellip, it's a good coil in my opinion.
Anyway, I would interested in hearing opinions about the regulated system. Will it do the job or have I just wasted some money.

cheers
bullet
Bullet
Bullet
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 347
Registration date : 2011-08-31

Back to top Go down

Coiltek regulated Battery system Empty Re: Coiltek regulated Battery system

Post  Guest Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:46 pm

Last edited by fencejumper on Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : pointless)

Back to top Go down

Post  Bullet Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:27 pm

G'day fj,

thanks for the info. for some reason once the gelcells hit 6.3V, the unit or big coils go crazy. if the battery has 6.4 to 6.6V there's no problem. Had a word with ismael and he said it was probably a big part of the problem and suggested a regulated system. I'm about to give it a go.

cheers
Bullet
Bullet
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:57 pm

Like fencejumper said there is no harm in a regulated system, but when the input side of the detector from the battery has a regulator and won't let anymore power than the regulator is set to it won't make any difference.

The detector dosn't care if there is a regulated battery or just the old 6v gel cell as long as there is power that is above what is required to keep the internal regulator in the detector happy.

Neither system will put any extra power to the coil.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:18 pm

Last edited by fencejumper on Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : pointless)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:26 pm

Gday Bullet,
The regular 6vlt batteries will loose that extra surface voltage after an hr or so. You may start out with 6.8vlts but be down to 6.5 or less after a while.
The regulated system will keep the voltage at 6.8vlts all day. I used them for years and never,ever had a flat battery. They are so good that you can detect for 2 days without a recharge. A 12vlt-5 amp hr should be the go for you mate.

Back to top Go down

Post  Bullet Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:29 pm

Thanks guys, it's exactly what I wanted to hear. I was gettin sick of having a couple of good big coils and not being able to use them for a fair amount of time.

cheers
bullet
Bullet
Bullet
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down