Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SD 2000 - Depth and Handling

3 posters

Go down

SD 2000 - Depth and Handling Empty SD 2000 - Depth and Handling

Post  reg Sat May 02, 2009 8:25 pm

what are the sd2000 like for a new chum to handle and have they got much depth for small gold,all thoughts would be much appreciated....cheers reg confused
reg
reg
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 226
Registration date : 2009-03-28

Back to top Go down

SD 2000 - Depth and Handling Empty Re: SD 2000 - Depth and Handling

Post  nero_design Sat May 02, 2009 11:02 pm

The SD2000's go a deep way down. Not nearly as deep as the GP/GPXs but much deeper than a VLF detector and with less ground noise interference than a VLF as well. The coils most popular with the SDs will be the Double-D coils due to compatibility and capability. The stock coil that comes with it is about the best coil to use but larger coils were made and these will be less sensitive to smaller targets.

What you get though, is an amazingly powerful detector that in the first year alone pulled more than $100,000,000.00 worth of gold out of the ground in the first year of release (in Australia) and I've been told that it made over 500 millionaires in Australia in the first year as well. I think you should be able to find quite a bit of fairly small gold with it - but not too tiny. The really tiny bits in the sub-gram range (AKA "Rice Gold" etc) may be too small but I'm not quite sure. Most people familiar with the SD2000 will have heard that it's VERY good at finding larger nuggets and is still a favourite tool for owners of even the more recent detectors on the market today.

Even as a second hand detector, there are people who fall over themselves just to get their hands on one so consider it a good purchase and take the time to learn the detector. No doubt a few SD owners are on the boards here and they can offer you some tips on how small a target they'll find. The earliest models have green "drab olive" case paint and the original Military cable couplings on them.

Cheers!
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2081
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

SD 2000 - Depth and Handling Empty RE: information on sd2000

Post  Fisherman Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:01 pm

G-day Reg i own a 2000 and you shouldn't have any problems with small gold down to about .5 of a gram with an 8" mono, mine will pick it up at about 4" (air test) but anything under this and you will struggle. What you might find though is they can be very noisy but if you slow your sweep speed RIGHT DOWN you will broaden the ground noise out making it a lot easier to concentrate. The noisier it gets the slower i sweep.
Hope this helps .....Brett.

Last edited by Fisherman on Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : woops checked my notes)
Fisherman
Fisherman
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2009-06-06

Back to top Go down

SD 2000 - Depth and Handling Empty RE: information on sd2000

Post  Fisherman Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:13 pm

Oh and i forgot to mention i run mine at 7.3v and use a good signal enhancer.
Fisherman
Fisherman
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2009-06-06

Back to top Go down