Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SD2200 your opinion please?

+10
Kon61gold
MS
coreytroy
adrian addonas
CJ
Inhere
Driller
mallee00
nero_design
rc62burke
14 posters

Go down

SD2200 your opinion please? Empty SD2200 your opinion please?

Post  rc62burke Fri May 01, 2009 8:50 am

Hi All
I have been offered an SD2200 detector to buy, (modded by Woody) do not know what type of improvement this mod was to have given, I have used this detector over a weekend easy enough to use ( I own a gold snoop). What sort of price should I expect to pay for such a detector, please give your honest opinion on this detector to help out a relative newcomer.
many thanks
Lee
rc62burke
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

SD2200 your opinion please? Empty Re: SD2200 your opinion please?

Post  nero_design Fri May 01, 2009 10:28 am

The Gold Snoop is a VLF detector and very sensitive to small gold near the surface. Especially specimens.
The SD2200 (which model, by the way?) is a PI detector so it runs much, much deeper into the ground and will be a more serious detector by comparison.

You can buy more cheaply via an online auction from say, EBay. But you won't know if the detector is stolen and there will be no warranty. If you buy from a dealer, expect to pay a little more, but the detector should come with 6 months warranty and you know it will work to spec. Since your detector is modded, the value drops by $100 compared to one which is factory issued. If it was modded by Woody, I'm guessing it was probably an SD2200D (the earlier model). If you were selling it at this time, you'd probably get a little more for it on EBay. A dealer will probably pay $1100+/- for it if it was in reasonable condition and then clean it up and sell if for a little more after adding the new 6 month warranty. I think I saw one for sale recently and it went for about $1300.

I said in a post last month that the dealers usually wouldn't handle or trade in the modded detectors but this appears to have changed. Word has it that they will but they'll take about $100 off to cover the cost of stripping the unit back to original preset condition. Hence the above comment about the devaluing. Just calculate this into the cost if you are trying to value a detector that you are considering purchasing.

Cheers!
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2081
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post  mallee00 Fri May 01, 2009 12:13 pm

Lee, these modified detectors have not been proven to be better than a standard detector, videos on U-tube without a comparison mean nothing, and anyone can make claims on the internet. A good secondhand SD2200 should cost you between $1600 to $2000. The 2200 is still a very servicable detector and is easy to use.I would be interested to know if you sought out a modified detector or were approached by someone via the internet trying to sell one. mallee00 and the mutt

mallee00
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 208
Registration date : 2008-10-21

Back to top Go down

SD2200 your opinion please? Empty SD2200 opinion

Post  rc62burke Fri May 01, 2009 2:36 pm

Hi Mallee
To answer your question, no I did not seek out a modified detector, I have no real opinion on the mods, due to my level of experience. I was not approached via the net about this detector, the current owner of this detector is a guy that Im learning from & have taken him on a couple of trips he is a very knowledgable bloke with 25 years experience & very open to sharing this information with me, I have known him for just under 1 year, the price he mentioned sounds a bit high compared to Nero's post, allthough im not sure of accessories/ coils that may be included I need to check on that, havent got a very big budget so dont want to pay to much for something that may not suitable, I guess I need to better understand the capabilties of this detector.
thanks
Lee
rc62burke
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Driller Fri May 01, 2009 4:31 pm

Lee,

I bought a 2200 when they first came out and still use it. They are a very good machine. Ideal for a newbie.
By coincidence I had a fellow come round yesterday, who was having trouble with a modified 2200 ( the first I have seen) making to much noise when using a mono. Took him to my test patch to compare his against mine. We had solved a few of his problems by dark and he is going back to spend some time there to do more testing and adjusting.
I would not take a modified version as a gift. My advice would be to buy a stock standard version and a couple late model coils to run on it.

My son bought a S/H one from a professional who was upgrading and has been using it for 4 years. Neither machine has ever been back for service nor ever missed a beat.

Save your dollars and look for a stock standard version in the price range the guys above have mentioned.

Good luck with it.

Driller.

Driller
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2008-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Inhere Fri May 01, 2009 10:33 pm

mallee00 and Driller are giving you good advice, I reckon the 2200D is still a great detector, but stay well clear of ANY of these so called "modded" detector's. Most 2200D's I have seen, are selling for around $1800 with sometimes, a few coils. Better off buying from a good dealer if you can.

Why chance paying good money out, and then wandering around the bush with with a sub standard detector. Evil or Very Mad
Inhere
Inhere
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 941
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 02, 2009 6:49 pm

Hi
Newbie Machine doubtfull.A fulltimer mate of mine called in today with a beautifull 93 gram specie.Sd2200 18dd coil ,enhancer and set channel 2 and deep.They are pro machines why anyone would want to tamper with them has me beat.
Cheers Dig

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 16, 2009 10:16 am

Hi all, a friends dad has asked me to sell his SD2200D since he does not have internet and can't speak english very well...

For sale one SD2200D serial number 045769.

Condition excellent, like new. (he hardly used it...) a well looked after unit

Comes with;

Voltage regulator so runs 12V battery system regulated to 7.6V. (home made work well with saftey to prevent over voltage.)
2 x 12V batteries
2 x 6.7V batteries
1 x nuggetfinder signal enhancer mark III which includes external speaker and headphone input. can use each one individually or both at the same time if detecting with friends
1 x 14" coiltek coil DD
1 x 11" original Minelab DD almost new
1 x near new camo back pack
1 x Instructional Video by Doug Stone
1 x SD2200D Instruction book and quick help guide
1 x Wall Charger
1 x Car Charger
1 x Headphones
1 x curly power cord

If interested please contact me on boo__68@hotmail.com

Thanks

Mick

Last edited by dopey on Sun May 24, 2009 12:11 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  CJ Sat May 16, 2009 11:46 am

Mate of mine had his 2200v2 modded about two month ago we did tests before the mods. were done and after and found a big increase in sensitivity he is very happy with it and has found a number of nuggets, I have been useing a modded 2000 for the last six years with no problems, find out who did the mods. and maybe ring them and get a run down on what was done, also remember some people have a vested interest in knocking modders.
cj

CJ
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian addonas Sat May 16, 2009 3:08 pm

CJ wrote:Mate of mine had his 2200v2 modded about two month ago we did tests before the mods. were done and after and found a big increase in sensitivity he is very happy with it and has found a number of nuggets, I have been useing a modded 2000 for the last six years with no problems, find out who did the mods. and maybe ring them and get a run down on what was done, also remember some people have a vested interest in knocking modders.
cj
See here we go again . " FOUND A BIG INCREASE IN SENSITIVITY" compared to what ? no proof no science nothing to back up such a claim. vested interest in knocking modders should perhaps read vested interest in promoting modders.Addonas

adrian addonas
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2009-02-18

Back to top Go down

Post  coreytroy Sat May 16, 2009 3:57 pm

Sound like Mods are a touchy subject, either side of the fence, around here with some Shocked

coreytroy
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2009-04-22

Back to top Go down

Post  CJ Sat May 16, 2009 8:50 pm

Adrian baby we had our test targets we did a before and after test, after thirty years detecting I think I know how to test a detector , by the way do you work for minelab?? you see what I mean.

CJ
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  CJ Sat May 16, 2009 9:09 pm

I gave my opion from what we have experienced, I have nothing to gain financially I don`t do mods. but a certain person who lives in Adelaide is a bit suss. though? Very Happy

CJ
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Inhere Sat May 16, 2009 9:52 pm

Heck cj, If every person you suspected of working for Minelab, really worked for them, we'd be paying $30,000.00 each for our Detectors, just to cover their payroll. Rolling Eyes

Hey, I seen another post on another forum, where your favourite modder, modded a guys 3500.

He thought that it was a bit more sensitive too. Very Happy

Well there was a downside, seems he couldn't get a signal on an axe head at 1 foot. Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing

Have you tried that 2200 for depth??? affraid
Inhere
Inhere
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 941
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post  MS Sun May 17, 2009 1:21 am

CJ wrote:I gave my opion from what we have experienced, I have
nothing to gain financially I don`t do mods. but a certain person who
lives in Adelaide is a bit suss. though? Very Happy
CJ

Hi CJ........ Hmm… sounds like that might be me and if so let me say ,
there is nothing behind or sus in what I
post, except I say what I believe is true and may be of interest or help to
others. I own and run an air-conditioning company and don’t have time or
reasons to push or help modders and paid $550 for what I had done.
Fact is I’m happy with my modded unit and that’s that.
My time out looking for gold costs me much more than I find ,but
it’s a hobby and I enjoy it, and when I don’t succeed weather it be the areas I
search , the equipment I use or the skill I’m lacking in, I do something about
it to improve my odds.
I use this forum to gain knowledge in gold detecting and that’s
where I started researching modds , yes it was a risk to get my unit modded and
at the end of the day it was a risk I decided to take as I wasn’t doing well,
and SA has the least gold , fewest available prospecting areas and consequently
the most hammered ground.
I fully understand how you may have formed an opinion of my
motives due to what I have posted but you are wrong, but I can say I have
gained a lot of quality advice and information on this forum and are only
trying to put something back in.
I would be more that happy to just take from this forum and
not post a thing as I’m sure many do but understand if we all did that the
forum would just fall over with nothing said.
I won’t be posting anything more on modds as I have nothing
more to say on that issue except I will be happy to attend the field days Jeff
is talking about and will bring my detector and bag of gold for you to see.
Mark

Edit note...

Retraction of reference to CJ as I wrongly mistook his statement as direct
towards me and apologise to him for doing so.

Mark

Last edited by MS on Sun May 17, 2009 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Retraction)
MS
MS
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 791
Registration date : 2009-03-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Sun May 17, 2009 10:47 am

Hi Lee

If you are going out with a guy who has been prospecting for 25 years, then he should know what he is talking about. When selling his 2200 he would be trying to get as much as he can for it so take a guide from the comments made. You will also find other 2200s available from dealers where the price is high, or from the trading post where you can actually see the detector before you buy. One has been offered here as well and seems reasonable as well.

Regarding mods, anything can be modified, you just have to be comfortable that the mods work okay and are beneficial. 2200s are noted for going deep and if a mod makes it more sensitive to small gold and it works, then it would seem a reasonable buy. Endeavour to do a few tests to make sure this is correct.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask them.

Jeff
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4500
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Beer Beeper Sun May 17, 2009 11:45 am

A GP 3000 with DVT, is a modded SD 2200, he, he, ha. More sensitivity to smaller nuggets and also a just a bit deeper on small nuggets.

I see no point why Minelab still makes the SD 2100v2 and SD 2200v2, and they should discontinue production of both of them? Instead they should still now keep making the analog GP 3500 new for purchase as an alternative for those who do not want a digital GPX 4500 with a LED screen.

In other words, drop the 2100 and 2200 and make new 3500's instead in their place.

Beer Beeper
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2008-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  ToadWhisperer Sun May 17, 2009 1:56 pm

Inhere wrote:

Well there was a downside, seems he couldn't get a signal on an axe head at 1 foot. Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing

What forum was it? I'd like to read that post.

ToadWhisperer
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2009-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Scotty Sun May 17, 2009 2:26 pm

The 2200d is a fantastic machine i have been using mine for years now!
Now would i trade NO!
The reason why is i have done many test with mine putting it against many minelab machines and at many times i have come up trumps!
Why do minelab still manufacture these machine?????
With practice and alot of it with the right settings coil combo's i still believe these machine are just as good as anything else in the right area etc.
It all is a heap of luck once you master any machine!
Scotty
Scotty
Scotty
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 40

Back to top Go down

SD2200 your opinion please? Empty The 2200D -

Post  forester01 Sun May 17, 2009 2:40 pm

Good one, Scotty,

once you've learned to drive a good Minelab 'tector and you reckon you've come to terms with what it can do for you (and the 2200D is 'user friendly') why purchase something which is more expensive and more complicated to use?

Mike W
forester01
forester01
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2008-11-13

Back to top Go down

SD2200 your opinion please? Empty SD2200d

Post  rc62burke Sun May 17, 2009 4:26 pm

Hi All
Thanks, Jeff, Mike W & Scotty,
These are the types of responses I was looking for, I am doing a trip with this guy next week so will be asking alot of question to get a better idea about this machine, what I have experienced is that it is very quiet stable threshold ( picked up the tiniest of boot tacks at 2" ? ), only GB every so often due to my inexperience just making sure the machine was running true, Jeff I will send you a PM.
thanks, keep the info coming guys am learning alot.
cheers
Lee
rc62burke
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down