Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

operating Garrett AT Pro...silent mode?

2 posters

Go down

operating Garrett AT Pro...silent mode? Empty operating Garrett AT Pro...silent mode?

Post  R4 Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:20 pm

Ok, so I'm new here and hello to all as this is my first post! I have a question about the Garrett AT Pro. Can it be operated in Silent Mode to prevent backround and spurious noise?

Last edited by R4 on Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:59 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : redefined)

R4
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2011-08-18

Back to top Go down

operating Garrett AT Pro...silent mode? Empty AT Pro & silent mode.

Post  JohnApthorp Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:46 am

Hi,
I bought my wife an AT Pro in Feb this yr. One of the first things that struck me was the lack of the "threshold" noise. This initially worried me but the wife loved it. I usually run an X-Terra 705 & run it on a very low level of threshold. However, during all the shootouts that husbands & wivers have, (Garrett vs Minelab) the wife has been able to keep up with me on ALL finds. Every now & then she even challenges me to an underwater detecting session knowing fully well that unlike the AT Pro which can be submerged up to 10ft underwater, my X-Terra cannot be submerged, even the 9.5 x 5 inch coil on the X-Terra 705 goldpack cannot be submerged.
I guess the bottom line is, there is generally no noise coming from the AT Pro until a target is detected or some form of interferrence occurring.
Good luck with the Pro, I hope you don't have any of the problems that plagued the earlier model. Either way, the service at Garrett is exceptional & any problems, although a pain in the butt, are only temporary.
Sincerely,
Gary.

JohnApthorp
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 311
Registration date : 2011-02-19

Back to top Go down

operating Garrett AT Pro...silent mode? Empty Re: operating Garrett AT Pro...silent mode?

Post  R4 Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:29 pm

Thanks John, that's exactly what I wanted to hear! I have a hearing problem and I don't cherish the thought of being bombarded with constant background chatter. Tone on target is fine. Initially I was looking at a Whites GMZ but after studying comments on this and other forums I opted for an AT Pro from Texas Premium - it's on the way.

R4
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

operating Garrett AT Pro...silent mode? Empty Re: operating Garrett AT Pro...silent mode?

Post  R4 Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:56 pm

Well it arrived from Texas on Thursday and I've been trying to educate myself with it's operation. I've found that it's not a very silent detector...well not when operated in Pro Mode. Operating in Standard Mode is fairly silent (tone only on target detection) but I've found that this mode doesn't give very satisfactory target discrimination even after setting Iron Discrimination. I've been practising in my backyard and it's starting to look like I own a dozen pet wombats. So now I'm focusing on Pro Mode and trying to familarise myself with all the different tonal id's and tone roll off. Not an easy task when one has a tone deafness issue! I'm finding the detector fairly simple and easy to program and use, but in Pro Mode, the tonal bombardment does require a fair degree of concentration and interpretation. I think I'm getting the hang of it but still having some issues positively identifying and eliminating iron. Today I searched the site of a long gone timber cutter's cottage in the Poweltown region. Down about 6" I found a 2ft diameter cast iron pulley (maybe from an old sawmill) and a heap of brass/bronze bearings. Maybe the former resident was a sawmill mechanic? Also found what looks like a tin nugget (tin was mined in the area). The site was very trashy with old iron everywhere. On some targets I got good clear non iron tonal id but on many others (including the large cast iron pulley) they toned as non iron but after digging I found they were!...even when using Pro Mode Zero, set to 35 on the Iron Discrimination scale, and using Iron Audio in an effort to eliminate iron targets. Anyway the good news is that even with my hearing issues and degree of tone deafness I think I might be able to get on top of this beast with a bit more practise!

R4
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down