Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which internet provider

+4
TheGoldenChild
Silverback
Rustydog
Kon61gold
8 posters

Go down

Which internet provider Empty Which internet provider

Post  Kon61gold Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:56 pm

Hi fellas - looking for a suggestion

I am moving to Doreen which is a suburb in a new estate north of Melbourne. I have heard it is not a good internet area but it does get Telstra ADSL.

What I would like to do is be connected to the internet in Doreen, but if I go camping or interstate, be able to take a laptop and logon to the internet as well. I gather through previous topics this is through a wireless connection (sitting outside MacDonalds Shocked !)

I am currently with Optus, but feel with Telstra Bigpond this will provide better service over Australia.

What would you recommend?

Jeff
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4505
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Which internet provider Empty Re: Which internet provider

Post  Rustydog Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:03 pm

ha ha ha i use to live at doreen jeff , best bet is ring both companies and ask them what coverage /broad band etc they have and what they supply
Rustydog
Rustydog
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2011-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Silverback Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:10 pm

Hi Jeff,

i'm sure youwill get quite a few replies to this one.At the moment i am typing this reply on my laptop sitting a few ks out of Leonora.i have a bigpond wireless dongle on a plan with Telstra ,$49 for 3gig.keep an eye out for specials every now and then.Make sure you get the dongle with aerial fitting,mine is blue and white 7.2.To connect aerial you will need patch leads but same aerial can be used with phone with correct patchlead. others i know use their phone as modem but i cant help you with that lot. hope this helps.Ps optus is no good in the bush over here,as much as we like to hate them they do deliver the best coverage in the bush,it all depends on where you plan to go

Last edited by Silverback on Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : extra info)
Silverback
Silverback
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2009-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post  TheGoldenChild Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:16 pm

Two different things Jeff. Internet connection at home thru you're telephone line (ADSL), not portable. Check this link out for whats available in your area http://adsl2exchanges.com.au/detailedsummarystart.php.
For your laptop away from home you need to get a wireless dongle eg: Telstra Elite Wireless dongle, can get them on a monthly plan or pay as you go, but totally separate from your home connection.
TheGoldenChild
TheGoldenChild
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 688
Registration date : 2010-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Carms Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:45 pm

Hi Jeff
Ditto what Silverback said, I have a Telstra Bigpond wireless dongle thingy that plugs into my desktop or laptop, when out bush I have a patchlead that connects my laptop to an external aerial. providing you have reception you have access to the net etc. I did away with my wired modum for the desktop, and just plug the dongle into the computer I'm using at the time . If you have other services with Telstra you can usually get a "bundle price" for a 24 month contract. Telstra is the only one to go with if you plan to travel outside the major areas.
Regards
Carms

Carms
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2009-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Alan WA Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:47 pm

Telstra pre-paid wireless works for me.
$150 for 10Gb but you have a year to use it.

Depends on how much you use the net.
2/3rds of the year I'm out bush so not being on a monthly plan is good.

Alan
Alan WA
Alan WA
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2009-04-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:04 pm

Thanks fellas - exactly what I wanted to hear.

It sounds like the 3gb for $49.95 is what I will be getting as Optus doesnt have cover in Doreen. I'll just have to make sure the wireless connection has provision for an aerial as well.

Jeff
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4505
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:16 pm

Hang on Jefgold I run Telstra bigpond wireless, which you can take the Modem with you and plug an aerial into it, 7 gig $49.95 per month with $10 cash back, it is usually $59.95 per month.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:31 pm

I have the 7 Gig plan but with discounts it works out very cheap. If you ring them and argue with them you always get a better deal. If you have a mobile and a landline you get an even better deal. I have only once used my 7 gig allowance and then it just slowed for a couple of days. There is normally a gig or so unused each month.
Here are the plans. http://go.bigpond.com/wireless/?cid=ZBP_access_2_mobilebb_280411
I had a smaller one but this is the one you get now. You can take it with you in your laptop. I had Optus but it just wouldn't work for me so they ripped up the contract and I went back to Telstra. None of them are perfect unfortunately.
Which internet provider MBB_devices_ultimate_usb

Panther

Back to top Go down

Which internet provider Empty Telstra Provider

Post  stoney123 Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:08 pm

Alan WA wrote:Telstra pre-paid wireless works for me.
$150 for 10Gb but you have a year to use it.

Depends on how much you use the net.
2/3rds of the year I'm out bush so not being on a monthly plan is good.

Alan

I concur, i use Telstra now, in fact in rural areas i get faster speed than in canberra, I was originally optus but they (and vodafone) have much less coverage, in fact in some cases there coverage is less than a year ago, hence my switch. Mobile BB is great in bush, i was camping once and got onto bom.gov.au and saw a huge storm heading my way i raced around and secured my tent and eqp and 15 minutes later the storm came over the hill. (then the other campers were racing about!!, it is also great for checking fire and road conditions.

stoney123
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Goldylox Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:28 am

Gee, I'll have to look into this. I'm with Big Pond and paying $59 pm (which they marketed to me for $29.95 after bundle discounts) for a measley 2 gigs on ADSL2+! I run out within a week usually if I watch a few YouTube Prospecting Vids and the rest is slowed down so much MacAfee Antiviris can't even get an update! I'm sick of Big Pond and have had heaps of incorrect billing like $540 for nothing - ongoing battle. And they say there is no ADSL available in Tarnagulla at all (when I move), so it'll be back to dial up as the mobile signal is not even 1 bar. Evil or Very Mad

Goldylox
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 167
Registration date : 2011-04-19

Back to top Go down