Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mapping systems for the prospector?

+6
Austacker
Jigalong
TheH0ward
GoldstalkerGPX
slugsbrother
Nature_Pete
10 posters

Go down

Mapping systems for the prospector? Empty Mapping systems for the prospector?

Post  Nature_Pete Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:12 pm

Hi guys,

I have a query as to what mapping systems are available for prospectors? I have heard of Oziexplorer and a couple of others, but what I would really like to know is what are people using in this department, can they be overlayed with other maps/programs and roughly how much are they?

Any reply's are greatly appreciated.

Nature Pete. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Nature_Pete
Nature_Pete
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2011-03-09

Back to top Go down

Mapping systems for the prospector? Empty Re: Mapping systems for the prospector?

Post  Guest Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:22 pm

Historical mines data used with google earth co-ordinates are spot on used with good gps, program is free. Smile

Back to top Go down

Mapping systems for the prospector? Empty Re: Mapping systems for the prospector?

Post  slugsbrother Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:02 pm

Quiet Bloke wrote:Historical mines data used with google earth co-ordinates are spot on used with good gps, program is free. Smile

I have Google Earth and have seen a couple of uploaded pics with the little yellow circles, I presume that is gold? How do you overlap or combine the two of them?
slugsbrother
slugsbrother
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2011-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:57 pm

Give me your email address and I will send you the program easy.

cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  slugsbrother Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:02 pm

Quiet Bloke wrote:Give me your email address and I will send you the program easy.

cheers

Pm sent, thanks mate.
slugsbrother
slugsbrother
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2011-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Nature_Pete Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:03 am

Quiet Bloke wrote:Historical mines data used with google earth co-ordinates are spot on used with good gps, program is free. Smile

Hi Quiet Bloke,

Thank you for the reply. I hope you don't mind if I send you my address as well? I have been looking at Geovic, google earth etc. and need something a little more accurate.

Owe you a beer or a bundy once we make it up North Wink ,

Nature_Pete
Nature_Pete
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:37 am

Last edited by GoldstalkerGPX on Tue May 08, 2012 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Nature_Pete Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:56 am

Good morning GoldstalkerGPX,

Thank you for the link Very Happy I am considering Oziexplorer as it may be well worth my while. I might have to work some extra hours once I start the new position (hopefully this week) as my gold just won't pay for it lol!

I hope all is well with ya,

Nature_Pete
Nature_Pete
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  TheH0ward Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:53 am

hiya pete

i vote for ozi too. Ive just spent the last 3 or so weeks learning the ins and outs of it and its finally paid off for me!
I think any mapping software is like a detector.... get to know it and know it well, lol. Amazing what gems a program can hold. (but i still have a lot to learn)

cheers Smile
TheH0ward
TheH0ward
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 842
Registration date : 2010-08-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:23 pm

I use a combination of Google Earth, Garmin Mapsource (integrates with google earth)and when I'm out there I use a Garmin Oregon handheld GPS which I just love.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jigalong Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:57 pm

My vote is for a three pronged attack - Google Earth / Oziexplorer/ Hand held GPS combo.

It all gone to God at the moment though, as for the first time in 4 years , I have a big problem with Google Earth. Every time I try to delete a waypoint, Google Earth crashes and closes down. I have had some suggestions from some guys on this site and from the Google Earth help site, but nothing has fixed the problem.

Cheers,

dat pella Jiglong
Jigalong
Jigalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1316
Registration date : 2008-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:00 pm

Jigalong wrote:My vote is for a three pronged attack - Google Earth / Oziexplorer/ Hand held GPS combo. Cheers, dat pella Jiglong

I agree with Jigalong but would add Tengraph to the attack if in WA, and GeoVIC if detecting in VIC, etc, as each state has its own department of minerals type mapping system that is very handy.

Tengraph for WA can be used to overlay tenements in Google Earth which is very handy.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Austacker Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:11 pm

Guest wrote:I use a combination of Google Earth, Garmin Mapsource (integrates with google earth)and when I'm out there I use a Garmin Oregon handheld GPS which I just love.

I am looking at the new Garmin range in the e-10/20/30 etc I just wanted to know can I overlay a whole heap of data in Google earth into the maps on the GPS via the Laptop. I would like to show actual tenements etc... on the GPS. I am sure it is possible I just don't want to buy the wrong one and find it doesn't do it.

Austacker
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2012-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Crocko Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:52 am

Guest wrote:Historical mines data used with google earth co-ordinates are spot on used with good gps, program is free. Smile

Is (are) Historical Mines Data available online and if so would you be able to send a link please?

'twould be greatly appreciated!....Crocko

Crocko
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2012-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  geof_junk Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:16 pm

Have a look on this forum under Information on Goldfields you will find the link to my Historical GoldMines hope they are of some use.

Link

Last edited by geof_junk on Tue May 15, 2012 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
geof_junk
geof_junk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 935
Registration date : 2008-11-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Goldendaze Tue May 01, 2012 12:31 am

Guest wrote:Give me your email address and I will send you the program easy.

cheers

Last edited by Goldendaze on Mon May 07, 2012 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : It was meant to go to a personel email address, not the forum. Thanks)

Goldendaze

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2012-02-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Aztrix Tue May 15, 2012 1:33 pm

Why have the links been removed from this topic? can anyone PM me the links please?

Aztrix
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2012-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 16, 2012 10:30 am

Aztrix wrote:Why have the links been removed from this topic? can anyone PM me the links please?

Is this the link you want?
https://golddetecting.forumotion.net/t2273-historical-gold-mines-in-google-earth

Back to top Go down

Post  Aztrix Wed May 16, 2012 10:48 am

no worries thanks davsgold

Aztrix
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2012-05-14

Back to top Go down