Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What 4WD for long trip in WA? What to think about when buying and owning car in Australia?

+2
tirp56
GH
6 posters

Go down

What 4WD for long trip in WA? What to think about when buying and owning car in Australia? Empty What 4WD for long trip in WA? What to think about when buying and owning car in Australia?

Post  GH Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:42 am

Raggy101 and I are planning a two month trip to WA. Renting one or two cars for two months is too expencive. We need some advice on what 4WD to buy. How much money do we need to spend to get a realible car? $6000? $9000?

What do we need to know about buying and owning a car in Australia?

GH
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2011-07-12

Back to top Go down

What 4WD for long trip in WA? What to think about when buying and owning car in Australia? Empty 4wd for long trip

Post  tirp56 Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:06 pm

mate you could probably pick up a reasonable 60 series l/c for about $3/4 grand if you look aroundeither petrol/gas or diesel parts are cheap too ,but dont buy the first one you see, and have a real good look along both sides ok the roof ,as some models were a real b**tard for the dreaded cancer ,but they go for ever cheers al

tirp56
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2011-01-11

Back to top Go down

What 4WD for long trip in WA? What to think about when buying and owning car in Australia? Empty 4WD for long trip

Post  Red Devil Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:54 pm

hi GH weren't you in leonora last year ?

Red Devil
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2010-01-29

Back to top Go down

What 4WD for long trip in WA? What to think about when buying and owning car in Australia? Empty Re: What 4WD for long trip in WA? What to think about when buying and owning car in Australia?

Post  Harb Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:27 pm

If I were you, I would buy a 75 series Troop Carrier.... one with a 1HZ diesel engine

75 Series Toyota's are very very common here in Australia , so parts are easy to get just about anywhere.

They are good if you need to carry a lot of things in the back, and even make great places to sleep if need be.

You will get one for the money you are talking, and will be able to sell it again when you leave...... go to some of the Australian Car sales internet sights like

www.carsales.com.au

etc or keep an eye on Australian Ebay

Cheers
Harb
Harb
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 720
Registration date : 2010-01-10

Back to top Go down

What 4WD for long trip in WA? What to think about when buying and owning car in Australia? Empty Re: What 4WD for long trip in WA? What to think about when buying and owning car in Australia?

Post  Narrawa Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:01 pm

I doubt it would cost that much to hire a car for 2 months.??? i could be wrong but if you did hire one vehicle, once the trip is over you just return it...any problems with it in that time is not yours to worry about.
Once the trip is over and you had bought a car....you have to try and sell it to regain some of your money...that could take some time.
Contacting a dealer and having a chat to him about your plans and talking to him of a buy back deal when your trip is over may be worth consideration also.

Pretty much any small 4cyl 4x4 diesel will do the job if you had to buy one...a cab chassis/table top would accommodate 2-3 gents depending whether it had a bench seat of bucket seats.??? All your gear would fit easily on the tray and could also sleep two on it if you had to.
I wouldn't worry about how it looked or if it had rust as long as it was mechanically sound, your not keeping it after all.

Use it, abuse it, and drive it like you stole it....your paying for it either way.
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  raggy101 Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:14 am

Ended up buying a Nissan Patrol, did the trick Smile and sold for about the same price... good times...

Red Devil, Yes Gustav, myself and Sam did hang around Leo for a little while Smile

raggy101
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2011-07-14

Back to top Go down