Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brisbane Gold

+8
RussR
Axeman
picknshuffle
YibiDavid
cranky53
madmaverick
wahoo
maka
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Brisbane Gold Empty Brisbane Gold

Post  maka Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:13 pm

Hi, guys and gals. A newbie here.
I work on forestry roads throughout North Brisbane, Dayboro, Samford, Clear mountain, mount Mee, etc etc.
Recently i was working on maintaining a road, and an old fellow, with a detector, actually dug up the road we just rolled.( these are dirt roads)
He smiled, Said thanks, and stuck it in his pocket. And went on his merry way.
The next day i bailed him up, I have 2 very old minelabs for beach combing. ( I like old school retro detectors)Not sure if they would be any good for looking for nuggets.
So i was thinking about panning after the massive floods out that way. Some of the creeks have been scoured out many many metres.
Cut a long story short, Has anyone, found anything around. Dayboro, Laceys creek, camp Mountain etc.
I did read an article from 1938 about claims Near dayboro. I have asked locals whom i know well, and all say theres no gold in the hills there.
The guy who picked the nugget out of the road also said theres iron sand in the mountain, but its a fair walk.
The locals tell me there is no iron sand...
So basically i am asking if theres any like minded people whom live close and want to go for a look, I am happy to show you where the guy found his nugget, if you can show me some panning tips or techniques or how to tune my detectors better.

I would love to hear some stories about the area, from what i see online it wasnt a rich area, but i just want to get out of the house and have a go..
maka
maka
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 626
Registration date : 2011-06-28

Back to top Go down

Brisbane Gold Empty Brisbane gold

Post  wahoo Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:56 pm

Hi there Maka
Gold coast here
i spend a lot of time around brisbane during the week
and lately i have been checking out the brookfield area for a few weeks
around gold creek my thinking is the same as yours after the floods there has been a lot of ground moved and i know it wont be long before
something is found.
just to let you know i am very much a newbie
but i have had my head down in lots of research, one day im hoping it will pay off
in the mean time i am having a great time learning everything i can....... you could call me a sponge as in i am taking a lot in
would like to chat and maybe catch up
will PM my number
Very Happy
Wahoo
Steve

wahoo
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2011-05-04

Back to top Go down

Brisbane Gold Empty Re: Brisbane Gold

Post  maka Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:59 pm

No probs, PM away.
I have just been looking at portable sluices on the net, they look like the way to go for up around the areas of laceys creek, Kobble Creek, etc.Sure looks like it takes the back breaking work out of it.
I will post and see what the feedback is like on them.
There is thousands of tonnes of sand washed down, So it may be worth a shot.
maka
maka
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:17 pm

Gold is a lot lazier than sand, so do yourself a favor and take some samples a bit higher in the gully and pan to see the results? If the results show no gold, try the next gully and so on!
Mind you there can be a reef at the lower reaches, in which case you will need to dig deep? Again take samples and pan!

Far better to do a bit of sampling first, rather than just setting up a sluice box on barren grounds, busting your butt for a day to find what some simple samples would have already told you? "Work smarter Not harder".

Cheers~Chris.

Back to top Go down

Brisbane Gold Empty hey there

Post  madmaverick Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:29 pm

would be keen to explore the areas with you, have a sluice but keen to pan and detect as well to explore the possibilities,, gold is where you find it, may take some time but all good to get out there and explore,, Brissy southside bayside here,, u ???

happy hunting
Steve and Lea
madmaverick
madmaverick
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2010-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:10 pm

Hi Maka,

I actually begun my foray into gold in this area (because it's very local to me) when I learned that quite a few people managed to eke out a living during the great depression in these parts, despite the fact that it isn't regarded as being rich in gold. There is a gold mine situated on Lacey's Creek which I know about and intend to visit sometime soon. I must say I'm quite stunned to hear your story about the guy pulling a nugget out of the road. I'm now very curious as to where this spot was and how big the piece was. I can tell you one thing I am learning about gold, and that is there are quite a few doing very nicely for themselves out there, you just wouldn't know it from looking at forums such as this.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:42 pm

someday wrote:Gold is a lot lazier than sand, so do yourself a favor and take some samples a bit higher in the gully and pan to see the results? If the results show no gold, try the next gully and so on! Mind you there can be a reef at the lower reaches, in which case you will need to dig deep? Again take samples and pan! Far better to do a bit of sampling first, rather than just setting up a sluice box on barren grounds, busting your butt for a day to find what some simple samples would have already told you? "Work smarter Not harder".
Cheers~Chris.

Maka welcome to the group, mate what Chris has stated is top advice. It may take a few trips to the area before you start finding tracers but they will be there by the sounds of it. Cheers mate and good luck.
James 101
cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  maka Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:57 pm

The road we were working on was in Laceys creek.
I am Brisbane Northside, Albany Creek.
Can you tell me more about the Laceys creek mine? Is it publically accessible?
Is it a shaft? Is it locked?
I would love to check it out.
I only find millions of rounds of ammo from Cashmere to Samford ( USA army was posted out this way in the 40's
They dumped tonnes of machinery apparently grease wrapped etc
So you would think it would be nice to find some of it.
I dig with a plastic spike ( lol) Things may tend to explode)
Back to the subject though....
I know a few older guys from Dayboro way ( the streets are named after them) They and their families have lived there all their life, So gaining access shouldnt be too hard, I should be able to ask about and maybe drop a name or pull a string.
I work 9 day fortnights so Friday sand Saturdays would suit me for an outing.
I still need to buy a pan/ sieve etc. Mine are long gone. I only have detectors left.
maka
maka
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Brisbane Gold Empty all sounds positive

Post  madmaverick Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:59 pm

sounds like we all need to get together and combine knowledge and explore where we can,,, very keen here guys if you are,, let us know

happy hunting
Steve and Lea
madmaverick
madmaverick
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:27 pm

Brisbane Gold Gold10

Back to top Go down

Post  maka Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:38 pm

Awsome good to get some positive response. I am keen any Saturday. We could easily meet at Dayboro township.
I am going up there with the old detector this Saturday ( i dont expect to find anything, my detectors are old and should be museum pieces, But its lovely out there and good for relaxation.
If i get any response for this Saturday let me know, I can meet you at the IGA carpark in the morning.
P.S it can get cold out there Bring a jacket. ( or rum)
Just downloaded google earth to try to get a fix on where the mine is out there. Hard to tell from the pic..
maka
maka
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  maka Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:06 pm

I would love a location on the unnamed 859929 Even with street names in it to get bearings.
Its hard to tell but it looks like Laceys bridge where the sand quarry once was, before the EPA shut it down.
maka
maka
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Brisbane Gold Empty hey

Post  madmaverick Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:34 pm

Maka this Sat is out but keen none the less,,, will get a fix on that unamed mine for you,, chat soon and explore sooner lmao

happy hunting
Steve and Lea
madmaverick
madmaverick
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Brisbane Gold Empty coords are

Post  madmaverick Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:41 pm

co-ordinates off goodle earth are
LAT = -2.7236050000000E+01
LON = 1.52708155555556E+02

keep us posted please
happy hunting
Steve and Lea
madmaverick
madmaverick
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  cranky53 Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:44 pm

good luck guys i hope you get a result

cranky53
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2011-05-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:03 pm

Hi guys, someone else posted a while ago about an alternative to Google maps, I tried to find the tread, No luck.
The web site is Nearmap.com
This web site gives, I would say about 30% better resolution than Google Earth! It didn't work any better for me when the thread was first started, It does now!
Worth a look in my opinion.

Cheers~Chris Very Happy Very Happy
P.s. Sorry I couldn't find the original members post.

Back to top Go down

Brisbane Gold Empty hey someday

Post  madmaverick Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:12 pm

thanks for that ,, will go have a look and see where it leads me lol,, down the yellow brick road I hope lmao

happy hunting
Steve and Lea
madmaverick
madmaverick
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:20 pm

I should have also said , the site does have a few hickups but the clarity is great! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:42 am

UNNAMED 859929

Unknown Point Feature

NAME = UNNAMED 859929
SITE_NO = 4.83155000000000E+05
LOCALITY = RUSH CREEK, DAYBORO
LOC_ERROR = 200
RECORDED = 17-feb-1998
STATUS = ABANDONED
EXPLORE =
NAME_SIZE = VERY SMALL
NAME_100K = CABOOLTURE
AMG_ZONE = 56
EASTING = 486005
NORTHING = 6993075
COM1 = GOLD
COM1_SIZE = Very Small <0.5 Tonnes Gold
LAT = -2.7184822222222E+01
LON = 1.52858711111111E+02
ALL_COMMOD = AU;CY

Brisbane Gold Rush10

Back to top Go down

Post  maka Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:43 pm

Hi , I put the co ordinates into google earth, but it wont work ...Any ideas? I have been searching everywhere for an answer.
The pic of rush creek, is too close to get bearings for me..
How do you get the unmaned mines to show up?
Cheers in advance.
maka
maka
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Brisbane Gold Empty hey maka

Post  madmaverick Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:50 pm

here is some more info on the other unnamed find clos to the pic above
NAME = UNNAMED 710872
SITE_NO = 4.83156000000000E+05
LOCALITY = LACEYS CREEK, DAYBORO
LOC_ERROR = 200
RECORDED = 01-jan-1998
STATUS = ABANDONED
EXPLORE =
NAME_SIZE = VERY SMALL
NAME_100K = CABOOLTURE
AMG_ZONE = 56
EASTING = 471105
NORTHING = 6987375
COM1 = GOLD
COM1_SIZE = Very Small <0.5 Tonnes Gold
LAT = -2.7236050000000E+01
LON = 1.52708155555556E+02
ALL_COMMOD = AU

for you bearings look at the first pic on this post and then the number on these co-ords,, eg UNNAMED 710872

hope this helps

happy hunting
Steve and Lea
madmaverick
madmaverick
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  maka Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:36 pm

Thanks so much for the gps co ords, took me a while to work out google earths minutes seconds , etc, and how to change them,...But the good news is the mine is a stones throw from where i hoped it would be.
One of the mines will be very hard digging as its all blue granite, and on private property. Although the owners i have briefly met , and seem approachable.
The second mine is definately worth a dig if the red bellies dont get me...
I have a sluice for the creek, and a crappy detector, but i am going up at 10 am tomorrow, if anyone is interested in a half day out...
I will check the forum in the morning, to see if anyone want to tag along..
maka
maka
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  maka Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:11 pm

Just arrived home, Found no traces, but it was very nice out there today.
I spent a good hour or 2 looking for the mine at Laceys. But without a portable gps its going to be very hard to find. I know i am on the right ridge etc and only have abuot a square kilometer to search, be be damned if i can find it.
But who knows it may have been one 5 foot wide hole 20 foot deep. or a foot deep over a few hundred metres which would also be hard to spot.
I do know there very little "old wood" on the slope i climbed, which is a pretty good indication it was used for other purposes many moons ago.
Will have another look when i get a handheld gps ...
maka
maka
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:31 pm

maka wrote:Just arrived home, Found no traces, but it was very nice out there today.
I spent a good hour or 2 looking for the mine at Laceys. But without a portable gps its going to be very hard to find. I know i am on the right ridge etc and only have abuot a square kilometer to search, be be damned if i can find it.
But who knows it may have been one 5 foot wide hole 20 foot deep. or a foot deep over a few hundred metres which would also be hard to spot.
I do know there very little "old wood" on the slope i climbed, which is a pretty good indication it was used for other purposes many moons ago.
Will have another look when i get a handheld gps ...

Hi mate hand held GPS is a must the one I use is accurrate to within a metre with the historical mine co - ordinates. Also as diggings come up as unknown on map it mighten be a mine but open diggings as I am finding here in the southern regions of Queensland. cheers cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  maka Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:48 pm

Ahh ok. Just checked google earth and i was not far from where i had to be. I was withing a 100m but turned back!!!!!
maka
maka
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:37 pm

Onya Maka, get amongst it. Thats the spirit that needs to be shown around here a bit more often. Been a few wet cats around....

Bit far for me but- like a diffferent state too far..

Good luck on yer hunt.

ferris.

Back to top Go down

Post  maka Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:08 pm

I know theres not much gold in Brisbane but there is NONE in my loungeroom in front of the TV.
maka
maka
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:17 pm

maka wrote:I know theres not much gold in Brisbane but there is NONE in my loungeroom in front of the TV.

Thats not entirely true there is a story of a golden reef under I think the Walter Taylor bridge West End side and it was covered up by the said bridge designer builder, when test drilling commenced for foundations each time the drill came out it was wound with a spiral of gold, correct me guys if I am wrong.

Back to top Go down

Brisbane Gold Empty Re Brisbane Gold

Post  YibiDavid Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:56 pm

Hi Maka & Quiet guy, I live probably 25 mins n/est from Dayboro amongst residential homes. Good to see all the Brisbane boys stirring the pot & being so eagre, don't blame you, this is the time to be out & not sweating like a p-g. My suzikis gearbox has gone kaput & no one has a recond one anywhere, plus I'm not working so bored to death. I also heard that Gold was found at the base of the indoorpilly bridge, where they were constructing it, shame you can't get to it , especially with the Brisbane river lapping at its sides. Just imagine how much gold could be under our roads or even shopping centres, Gympie comes to mind- - deep beneath the main road there?? Anyhow doesn't hurt to D r e a m yibidavid
YibiDavid
YibiDavid
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  picknshuffle Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:49 am

What Quiet Bloke said is very true about the bridge, i found this relating to it-------
Decisions had to me made whether
to go along with building the bridge or Mine the gold which tests had shown could be the best field in Australia.
They went along and built the bridge but before they did they applied for and was granted a 100 yr mining lease
for the area around the bridge affectively blocking any other parties from mining in that area. That lease expires in 2036.

Did you know that you could buy an apartment in the pylons as well, also this story of a 300kg man being rescued from one of them.
....300kg..damn thats big.
Link-->http://www.smh.com.au/national/300kg-man-up-there-for-years-20090821-eszq.html

Brisbane Gold 46008719

..i'll take the apartment in the basement thnx...wink wink, say no more.
picknshuffle
picknshuffle
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2011-04-28

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next