Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Member Steve H - Sluicing in Vic

3 posters

Go down

New Member Steve H - Sluicing in Vic Empty New Member Steve H - Sluicing in Vic

Post  Guest Wed May 18, 2011 8:28 am

Steve H Yesterday at 9:20 pm
Hello
I am new to this hobby and have never been gold prospecting before. However I have always wanted to have a go.
I have a number of questions and if anyone could help me out that would be great.
I live in Hoppers Crossing, west of Melbourne.
I have made my own gold sluice. Is it best to run the sluice with a pump or to use the sluice in the creek as I have seen on utube people placing the sluice in the creek? Do I need to have a miners right to use my gold sluice?
Could anyone suggest somewhere I could go to give the sluice a go. I have read that Reedy Creek at Eldorado is a good place?
If it would help I could post a photo of my sluice regarding whether I should have a pump hooked up to it or not.
Any info and help would be great as I am looking forward to having a go.

Cheers,

Steve

Steve H welcome to the best and most informative Australian gold prospecting group on the web. Mate it would be very wrong of me to tell you in which direction you must go without knowing at which skill level you are at. Yes if you can post a photo of your equipment that would be of help. But what I can give you is guidance and it is this guidance that will put you on the right track I hope.

Your very first step and the most important one in prospecting. It dose not matter weather you River sluice, High-Bank, or Detect the need to be able to use a gold pan is paramount and this must be given your highest level of attention. How many times have I seem people who spend all day working but cant finish off washing the concentrate at days end.

The second step would be to use a river sluice, by doing so will give you a chance to use your head in so much as in regards to water flow and setup angles all of which will be used when you move up to High-Banking. It will also teach you in what type of material the gold is located, if you are feeding the river sluice out of buckets it will not take long to sharpen you skills up.

High-Banking this is a whole new world you will have to look back through the postings to get the full pitcher. But to jump in straight off the bat and start using a High-banker would be doing yourself a great injustice and your disappointment would be compounded by the expense you have outlaid. I have seen this before where people were taken from A to Z in one go but they missed all the rest. Yes they can use a High-banker but do not know in what location to use it. And that is why you must start at the beginning and walk through all the steps required.

In Victoria you will require a miners right, Reedy Creek at Eldorado is a good place to start indeed but there is better around! I will be away for the next few days Murachu is also a wet water prospector and his prospecting skills are second to none and he is a master in his own right I am sure he will answer any more questions you may have.
Cheers
James 101
© 18/5/11

Last edited by James 101 on Wed May 18, 2011 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

New Member Steve H - Sluicing in Vic Empty beginner Needing Help!

Post  Steve H Wed May 18, 2011 9:47 am

Hi James

Thank you for your help it is much appreciated.
I will add a photo for you to have a look at my sluice.
To have some direction on other places to go with the sluice would be great help.

Cheers,

Steve

Steve H
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-05-17

Back to top Go down

New Member Steve H - Sluicing in Vic Empty Re: New Member Steve H - Sluicing in Vic

Post  Guest Wed May 18, 2011 4:49 pm

Steve H wrote:To have some direction on other places to go with the sluice would be great help.
Cheers,
Steve

Steve mate that is the 4th step you must learn Research if it was me in your position I would be talking to the mines department in that regards. They will go out of their way to help and you will find out all the do’s and don’ts which in this day and age is very important. Cheers mate I’m out of here see ya’s in a few days.
James 101
cheers

Back to top Go down

New Member Steve H - Sluicing in Vic Empty Re: New Member Steve H - Sluicing in Vic

Post  Guest Wed May 18, 2011 5:58 pm

Steve H James has covered it as well as I would have especially the part about the Dept. of Mines in Bendigo they will be able to give you direction to where and what you can do -- and as I always say " the only silly question is the one not asked " I wish you well on your trip out and there is sooooo much to learn but most of the good stuff is in this great forum ,just spend a little time perusing it!! Very Happy Very Happy cheers

Back to top Go down

New Member Steve H - Sluicing in Vic Empty Thanks

Post  Steve H Wed May 18, 2011 8:19 pm

Thanks for all the info.

I am looking forward to having a go.

Cheers

Steve

Steve H
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-05-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 22, 2011 8:28 am

Steve I had a look at your photos! Mate can you give me your ideas on how you think your sluice should work. Setup extra. You have done a grand job mate. Cheers
cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 22, 2011 6:06 pm

photos?? Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 22, 2011 7:10 pm

Back to top Go down

Post  Chuckles Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:13 pm

Before you head off anywhere to work a river or creek in Victoria check this link http://www.new.dpi.vic.gov.au/earth-resources/fossicking/faqs
It gives a list of rivers and creeks you are Not allowed to prospect in. No ...blame the greenies

Chuckles
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2011-05-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:25 pm

Thanks Chuckles I was meaning to post that link. Cheers mate
cheers cheers

Back to top Go down

New Member Steve H - Sluicing in Vic Empty WIN for PMAV victoria, website ban list has bern scrapped.

Post  coles525 Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:25 pm

Chuckles wrote:Before you head off anywhere to work a river or creek in Victoria check this link http://www.new.dpi.vic.gov.au/earth-resources/fossicking/faqs
It gives a list of rivers and creeks you are Not allowed to prospect in. No ...blame the greenies

As per the subject heading. We were informed during the July Melbourne metro meeting (2 weeks ago), that the list has now been ditched and is no longer valid. Best to ask Jeff for more detailed info (ie: date the ban starts), as I don't have info on me.

It may also be in the next issue of the Eureka Echo, bring delivered soon.
coles525
coles525
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2010-10-20

Back to top Go down