Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Koss td 80 Headphones

5 posters

Go down

Koss td 80 Headphones Empty Koss td 80 Headphones

Post  goldhog22 Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:46 pm

Hi All well this year is just getting started .. Has anyone tried the Koss td 80 head phones and where to buy.. And are they better than the standed 30s that come with minelab..any info will be welcome..thanks Bob...

goldhog22
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2008-12-04

Back to top Go down

Koss td 80 Headphones Empty Re: Koss td 80 Headphones

Post  AraratGold Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:42 pm

Hi Bob,
I tried the TD80's a few years ago and didn't like them. Although the sound quality was good, the pads on the muffs were not nearly big enough for my liking, and allowed a fair bit of outside noise in. I found them difficult to get sitting just right on my ears, whereas the UR30's were just perfect !
Don't use muffs at all now though, preferring a dual external speaker setup. Allows me to wear a wide brimmed hat, and are not hot on hot days !
Cheers,
Rick in Ararat
AraratGold
AraratGold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 426
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post  detecta2 Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:20 pm

bought the 80's recently, the difference in sound , to me , is not that great ,and the pads arnt big enough, not very comfy at all, mine will be going on ebay, phill

detecta2
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Granite Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:26 am

Koss TD80 headphones are the best I have ever used but the original pads are a bit hard on the ears. You can buy replacement pads from Coiltek Gold Centre for about 7 or 8 bucks that are foam with a soft cover. The covers came off mine but I still use them with just the soft foam pad thats under the cover and they are very comfy. If you want to test the diffrence between a set of 80s and UR30s try this. Detect for at least half an hour with a pair of TD80s then quickly switch to a pair of UR30s, you'll think you have suddenly lost about 30% of your hearing.

The UR30s may be more comfortable than the TD80s but whats a little discomfort if you are finding more gold? I don't like earphones that cover my ear entirely as I like to be able to hear what is happening around me and I don't find it distracting at all.

And we have had our TD80s for at least ten years and they are still going strong. A tip that works for any headphone, well most, anyway. If the sound gets a bit buzzy its usually ironstone dust collecting on the tiny magnet in the 'phone. Simply get one of the super magnets and hold it over the screen area. The super magnet, being much stronger than the 'phone magnet will pull the dust off and your earphones will work much better. You may have to do it a couple of times and tap the back of the headphone as you do it but it usually works. But don't do it with the earphones plugged in and working otherwise it won't work as well.

Cheers, Jim Very Happy

Granite
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2008-11-10

Back to top Go down

Koss td 80 Headphones Empty Re koss TD 80

Post  bushranger Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:28 am

I got a piece of foam, cut two donut shapes and glued them to
the ear muffs, no more problems.
Cheers Greg.

bushranger
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post  goldhog22 Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:23 pm

Thanks for all the info, will give them a go when I find some one that has a set and can do the test..Not that im tight its just how much junk can one carry ,,smile ,, you know what the story is..thanks again good luck this year to all..Bob

goldhog22
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2008-12-04

Back to top Go down