Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Long Point crossing, Macquarie River NSW

3 posters

Go down

Long Point crossing, Macquarie River NSW Empty Long Point crossing, Macquarie River NSW

Post  Billy Tue May 10, 2011 7:26 pm

Hi all, can anyone tell me whether this crossing is possible at the moment (4wd or motorbike)?
Know the river has dropped a fair amount since Christmas, but not sure where to find info on conditions of this particular crossing (without resorting to numerous phone calls and subsequent runarounds by local councils).
Thanks in advance for any help.
Billy
Billy
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2011-04-08

Back to top Go down

Long Point crossing, Macquarie River NSW Empty Re: Long Point crossing, Macquarie River NSW

Post  phill Tue May 10, 2011 7:35 pm

Hi Phil,

I think it is at the moment as the river is way back down to normal level, think a bloke told me he went thru recently but when I found out he was a... witness of jehovah.... I was in such a hurry to get away.... and do something..... I didn't get details....

Cheers,Phill.
phill
phill
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Long Point crossing, Macquarie River NSW Empty Re: Long Point crossing, Macquarie River NSW

Post  Guest Tue May 10, 2011 8:54 pm

Hi Phil.

haven't been through the long point crossing for a while so not aware of the current status sorry. Did it a few times in my daughters Laser with no worries apart from reshaping the floor Shocked
Narawa might know as I think he may travel through here to Hill End.

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy Tue May 10, 2011 9:24 pm

Phill, are you still running mate? Will take or leave that advise but thanks and may god?? speed be with you Twisted Evil

Steve, it is amazing where a borrowed car can go if you just push it a little. There is some seriously steep inclines and declines in that part of the world , and the people who roamed that area on foot must have had one leg longer than the other just to keep half upright.

Narrawa?
Billy
Billy
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Tue May 10, 2011 10:32 pm

G-day Phill, i doubt you would have any problems with the crossing, the narrow decent into and out of the river from both sides are about the trickiest bit if you should encounter another motorist. ( no way to pass in most places once on the decline..unless your good at reversing Laughing )
Have done it in torrential rain, and once your on the red clay 4wd or not....you have no control, id suggest 4wd if it looks like rain. Other then that a car with some clearance will pass through the crossing no probs.
As for motor bikes, it would offer them no challenge.
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy Tue May 10, 2011 10:58 pm

Thanks Narrawa, I suspected this to be the case at the moment given the current state of the river.
Hope to see you out in the hills one day Cool
Billy
Billy
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Tue May 10, 2011 11:08 pm

Billy wrote:
Hope to see you out in the hills one day Cool
Mate if you see me out in the hills, or fields, let me know...i'll have to try a new style of stealth. Laughing Laughing
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down