Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Infinium LS

5 posters

Go down

Infinium LS Empty Infinium LS

Post  Guest Mon May 09, 2011 5:14 pm

Is there anybody out there who is using or has used the Infinium in our gold fields?
Did you find gold?
No comparisons to other detectors please; I just want to know if you found gold and what you thought of the detector as a gold finder.

Back to top Go down

Infinium LS Empty Re: Infinium LS

Post  Guest Mon May 09, 2011 9:29 pm

Yes, found a 1.2 grammer at about 6" in Mundy Gully Heathcote using a 8" round Mono Coil,with Mono update to Infinium..also found half a ton of rubbish at all depths...as a gold detector its a great beach/water detector..however its good to use as a back up when its wet/raining or threatening to rain sometime shortly <you know the feeling?> in the field when my GPX5000 sits forlornly looking out my 4WD window..as a pure gold machine, Minelab from 2100 on, would eat it IMO but you already knew all that?...Hoo Roo

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 10, 2011 10:05 am

Thanks for the comment Larry303.
Have you done much beach work with the INF?

Back to top Go down

Post  ivanll Tue May 10, 2011 10:37 am

Adrian SS wrote:Is there anybody out there who is using or has used the Infinium in our gold fields?
Did you find gold?
No comparisons to other detectors please; I just want to know if you found gold and what you thought of the detector as a gold finder.

Questions asked by the majority of Infinium LS owners and many none owners.

Related answers and pictures have been posted numerous times as you are most likely aware of; if not scratch Question Exclamation

However the short answer is; Yes,..... Yes,..... never thought of it as a Gold finder, more like a tool that when used by a competend operator is capable.
Same when used on "sandy's" wet and watery gold and gem fields, .......same use, but different priliminary set-up.

ivanll

ivanll
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2009-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 10, 2011 2:07 pm

HI Ivanll,
Yes the question has been asked many times but most of the replies come from ML operators hell bent on deriding any gold detecting instrument that is not a ML PI. or from people constantly comparing it to detectors costing 2,3,4 and five times as much.
I know the Infinium has been around since the SD 2000 and has gone through a few upgrades and I also know that the price of the ML PIs has increased dramatically compared to the not so dramatic increase in performance of these machines. They have more knobs n switches,fancy displays, more coils than anybody will ever need, special batteries that only work in Ml PIs and backpacks and belts and swingy thingies and truck loads of extras that are required to get the best from these detectors. and all of this crap comes at extra cost to the already ridiculous price of some of these machines.

I am simply trying to find out approx how many people on this forum in Australia have found gold with the Infinium in our gold fields and what are their thoughts of the detector in general.
Speaking for myself the detector works fine as a saltwater beach, Scuba, Relic, coin, jewelery and gold detector and I have yet to find ground conditions where it will not work to an very acceptable level of performance.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 10, 2011 2:20 pm

Yes Adrian, I have used it at the Beach and shallow edge water for past 8 years most of that time using the big lunker DD 10 x 14 which comes standard..found the whole gamut of finds like most beach hunters.some valuables,coins <many> buried sewerage pipes! <many>ring pulls/bottle tops ad infinitum...the soft areas under swings playground equip <I have given coins to kids that didnt even lose them its the fun of finding them not the keeping>..however I dont wear a trench coat anymore!.......
The 8" Mono is really good and light as you know its totally waterproof and signals clear as a bell and very stable, ..... the 5 x 10 DD I have is also light but can only be submersed a few inches..<not really recommended>....I've never had the whole unit underwater as yet because I didnt want to be under as well...
I switched from the big standard earphones to the small light Garrett <green.. only about $25> and they are very clear and not hot to wear...Garrett of course has to be different with its fittings so you have to have a special intermediatory lead to allow "normal" headphones with "normal" connections..I have just fitted a pair of Koss TD80's to the Infinium however havn't used them in the goldfields yet...<I know I wont be missing any signals with them and they may be too loud> ..
The Infinium is a most capable Beach/Water Treasure detector which can be a back up to you in the goldfields if something goes wrong with your real gold detector...<I wouldnt use a GPX5000 exclusively on a beach even given its new discriminations and neither would I use an Infinium exclusively in the Goldfields....Hoo Roo

Back to top Go down

Post  ivanll Wed May 11, 2011 1:25 pm

Adrian SS wrote:HI Ivanll,
Yes the question has been asked many times but most of the replies come from ML operators hell bent on deriding any gold detecting instrument that is not a ML PI. or from people constantly comparing it to detectors costing 2,3,4 and five times as much.
I know the Infinium has been around since the SD 2000 and has gone through a few upgrades and I also know that the price of the ML PIs has increased dramatically compared to the not so dramatic increase in performance of these machines. They have more knobs n switches,fancy displays, more coils than anybody will ever need, special batteries that only work in Ml PIs and backpacks and belts and swingy thingies and truck loads of extras that are required to get the best from these detectors. and all of this crap comes at extra cost to the already ridiculous price of some of these machines.

I am simply trying to find out approx how many people on this forum in Australia have found gold with the Infinium in our gold fields and what are their thoughts of the detector in general.
Speaking for myself the detector works fine as a saltwater beach, Scuba, Relic, coin, jewelery and gold detector and I have yet to find ground conditions where it will not work to an very acceptable level of performance.

"No comparisons to other detectors please" Question So what is the above. Question

There are forums much better regulated and just for the purpose of dealing with Infinium LS questions and answers, one of them is crying out for participation and support;........... peculiar thing, when they had it they didn't respect it.

ivanll

ivanll
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 11, 2011 3:07 pm

Jeez! there is just no escaping it pale Sad

Thanks for the constructive comments Larry303.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 11, 2011 10:10 pm

No worries Adrian, I thought your dinkum question rated a dinkum response.......peculiar thing is the Forum Ivanll mentions was actually hijacked by none other than him on so many occasions and was the constant turd in the pocket of Phil Stearnes at The Gold Mining Centre Adelaide <who is a decent bloke>, that Phil started another Forum just so Ivanll couldn't participate.....Ivanll can be counted on to take a cheap shot at every opportunity...there are contributors and grandstanders....but you already knew all that Adrian......for the money an Infinium remains a great buy and is perfect for say someone who is planning on travelling around Australia..as that detector is so versatile you can try your hand at every detecting pursuit you can devise and I know of no other single detector that can do that......perfect weight for a lady detectorist as well without being strung up like a Xmas Turkey and AA batteries are always the cheap buys at KMart and Big W....I will never get rid of my Infinium even though I will possibly upgrade on the GPX5000 in the future if its tempting enough...particularly if the next GPX had a portable seat attached I could sit on while I contemplate the hole I have to dig!.LOL..Hoo Roo.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 11, 2011 11:42 pm

Larry303,

You hit the nail right on the head mate.

I had been earbashing Phil over the phone for years since about 1990 and drove the man nuts with all of my questions and when the Infinium was released I started on about that machine for the next two years or so before deciding to purchase one and even then I bought second hand and have never regreted the purchase.

I finally met Phil face to face just several weeks back as he was passing by Canberra up into NSW and we yacked for 3 hours and never once mentioned metal detectors. Shocked

If you are reading this Phil, sorry I missed the detecting comp; Maybe next year if my legs still work.

Cheers,
Adrian SS

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 12, 2011 11:28 am

...LOL..Adrian you actually contained Phil talking to only three hours!...you're a better man than I, Gunga Din!...LOL...Hoo Roo

Back to top Go down

Post  ivanll Thu May 12, 2011 3:46 pm

Hello Larry,
Still spreading your own style of entertainment, same level you used on the defunct Infinium forum before it got shut down.
Closing and moving it after your visits shows the admin had integrity........good on him.

As for the Infinium LS it's still an Infinium LS nothing like it................a good thing about this detector is it's a no brainer to set-up and dead easy to operate.

It's not the owners who know how to utilise it to the max that ask questions and they definitly do not just have it as a back up unit "if something goes wrong with your real gold detector."

Adrian SS wrote:Is there anybody out there who is using or has used the Infinium in our gold fields?
Did you find gold?
A valid question and it will be interesting to see if anybody besides the usuals come forward, but like the info below all the old Infinium forum info is still out there on the WWW,.......... it's as easy to find as finding gold with an Infinium LS.

"the constant turd in the pocket".... Larry, you have a way with words and seem to have wast experiences in the area of the rear orifice and its function.
Even back when you had an Infinium coil use question and got a polite and suitable answer your mind was preoccupied in this area of the bodily anatomy.

Infinium LS Project1_a

ivanll

ivanll
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 12, 2011 3:58 pm

If the Infinium has good points and bad points lets just stick to disscussing that instead of bickering about what happened on another forum.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  ivanll Thu May 12, 2011 4:31 pm

Totally agreeable, it always preferable to read about true and relevant info.

ivanll

ivanll
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Goldbait Thu May 12, 2011 7:17 pm

FFS Ivan and Larry, how about you both give it a rest and stop acting like little children. If you want to continue this childish behavour, take it into private.
Goldbait
Goldbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2010-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post  ivanll Thu May 12, 2011 10:00 pm

Ok Adrian SS, you started the thread and questions.
You have the only super sensitive Infinium LS I have heard of so how about you start a show and tell with your Infinium LS gold finds!??

Larry, you to may join in with your pics of Infinium LS finds, your second invitation to do so.

A hundred and twenty plus of my finds pictures was posted on Phil's forum over the years, never had any of them refused or banned quite the contrary I've had requests for more and larger ones, Au happy face was particular popular, perhaps people just like happy faces better than grumpy negative ones.
Infinium LS WA_GoldInfinium LS AnimationHappyFace

My latest outing to a wet g + g field with my Infinium LS, there was a warning sign not to get to trusty and close to the wildlife with large mouths, lucky this one had 4 legs and was laying low.
There was a streak of colours in the sky from a leaking cloud and a 9.7g ring of Au 750.
This weekend there is another low tide, even more convenient the beaches are just minutes away.
Infinium LS Project1_800

ivanll

Reading this post is optional. cheers

ivanll
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 12, 2011 11:33 pm

HI Ivanll,

You keep suggesting that my Infinium is more sensitive than others but I have nothing to compare it to, it is what it is and I reckon it is probably the same as any other Infinium.
I do have a short vid of sorts demoing it responding to a range of gold nugs from around 5gm to 0.15gm as an air test video. It is on an SD card as an MOV file and the bloody thing won't even play on my computor and it won't upload to youtube, so I have only watched it through my camera. There is a fair bit of external elec interference so I will do the vid again with a different camera and in an electrical quiet location.

I need to get a zero elec interference location in order to rule out any possibility of the signal response to small nuggets being atributed to elec interference..

In time I will get this video completed; Might be tomorrow...might be next year, but it will get done.

Adrian SS

Back to top Go down

Post  ivanll Fri May 13, 2011 5:36 pm

It's your posts here and on other forums that suggest you have an exceptional sensitive Infinium LS, I have tested several Infiniums and conversed with a few Infinium users on the net and none could match your figurs of a 0.15g nugget at 100mm, not even in an air test.
https://golddetecting.forumotion.net/t4055-beach-detecting-with-ml-gp-extreme

That may be as it is, what happen when we who do use the Infinium for gold prospecting and know what we can do with what we got and prove it, we think of what we perhaps could have done at the same location if we have had one of them "super Infiniums" which your posts are suggesting exists.

Then again you do mention it's a test and as always tests should not be seen as reality, we all do tests and find that once in the field things do not work the quite same.
Showing your Infinium test video is less awaited than showing the results of what your Infinium have done in real use.

I have met Infinium users with trouble in general set-up procedures, but they see the writing on whatever forum they visit as gospel, audio threshold and discrimination is but two of the hurdles,........... it is wise not to mess with their beliefs.

Looks like your questions attracts plenty attention but only two answers thus far.

ivanll

ivanll
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 13, 2011 6:29 pm

Fair enough comments Ivanll.

It appears that it is the sensitivity to the 0.15gm bit that is the thorn in the foot so I will focus on the realy small bits when I redo the vid and you are very correct in that the air tests are probably only indicative of the sensitivity of the beast and does not reflect inground ability. Air testing results are all that I have and it does seem unlikely that I will get back to any descent gold fields so air tests will have to do. I could put up stills of some of my INF finds but there will always those people who say " How do we know that they were all found with the Infinium" Your happy face gold shots are great, I wish I could say I have found that much gold with a metal detector, but I have not, probably 90% I have found by panning and sluicing and back breaking work which I am paying for now.
Cheers for now,
Adrian SS

Last edited by Adrian SS on Fri May 13, 2011 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  granite2 Fri May 13, 2011 6:56 pm

Ifinium sales speak for themselves. Razz If they were any good on gold, even equal to a 2100, there would have been heaps sold and the owners would be happy campers. Very Happy As it is Larry is the only happy infinium owner I have eve met. Sad

Cheers, Jim cheers
granite2
granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1829
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Rov Sat May 14, 2011 1:46 am

Hi ,you wouldnt know of Infinium sales Jim!,you never owned one we sure.
worldwide Infinium sales would have **** all over 2100 sales and found shitloads more gold and wealth.hense the Long model run over may years success.
Small sub gram nuggets are achievable in difficult mineralised goldfields ground ,especially with the smaller 5x10 dd infinium elliptical coil. no problems!
Ive owned 2 Units to date. and had loaned of one also for extended periods when I had none.
New coils have been under development for this machine by Pulsematecoils.webs.com for some short time (past year 2011).with a lot of O/seas interest and forthcoming orders.Much to the Disenchanted Infinium knockers. this is for an 18incher patch hunter coil for goldfields use in Oz.
Soooo?
we all move on and those that know will enjoy their Infiniums in the goldfields with a larger coil selection,and success!
Enjoy your Retirement and CD burner.regards!
Rov
Rov
Rov
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2010-11-12

Back to top Go down

Post  whylee Sat May 14, 2011 6:57 am

I own many detectors, whites, minelabs, fisher and a infinium. I use both the 8 inch and 14 inch mono coils and have no problems detecting gold with it. I do use it as my back up detector only because the GPX 5000 is a far better unit for what I do and it is heavier than my Whites TDI. With that said, I would not hesitate to take the infinium into the gold fields as my primary detector.
I have never used it on the beach, as I do not hunt there, and as easy as it seems to some to operate the Infinium, it still has a learning curve and if its not set up right you will not recieve good results.
Yes I do own and use the other detectors more for the stated reasons given, not because the Infinium is not up to the task. I rate the Infinium on par with the Whites TDI in performance, just a tad heavy thats all.
The Infinium also cost about 5-600 less than the TDI Pro

whylee
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2011-02-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 14, 2011 9:15 am

Two positive and honest posts re Infinium bring them on......Its good to know I'm not the only satisfied owner for the past 8 years....
Whylee,there can be no lighter detector in the world than Infinium if you use the belt holder for the Infinium Control box that comes with it....then all you are carrying weightwise is the handle/stem with coil attached....that's how I used to do my beach detecting.....
Rov, bring on those coils too......I hope they are light like the C/Tek Goldstalkers..are those 18" patch finders going to be in Mono and DD?
Jim I dont recall ever meeting you.....Hoo Roo

Back to top Go down

Post  whylee Sat May 14, 2011 10:41 am

larry303 wrote:Two positive and honest posts re Infinium bring them on......Its good to know I'm not the only satisfied owner for the past 8 years....
Whylee,there can be no lighter detector in the world than Infinium if you use the belt holder for the Infinium Control box that comes with it....then all you are carrying weightwise is the handle/stem with coil attached....that's how I used to do my beach detecting.....
Rov, bring on those coils too......I hope they are light like the C/Tek Goldstalkers..are those 18" patch finders going to be in Mono and DD?
Jim I dont recall ever meeting you.....Hoo Roo

I would agree with you on this point, I just do not like the hip / belt mount on any of my detectors. Thats the one thing I dont like on my GPX5000.
I can live with it but I wont convert my others. Dont get me wrong, I can swing the Infinium all day if I want or have to, but I find myself grabbing the TDI if I am not using the GPX. I am going to give the Infinium more time in the future since I now have the 14" mono for it.
All I can say is it is a very under rated detector, alot of the guys that I have talked to have never really used one and they talk them down.I am sure some struggle with them, I have a couple friends that would not be caught using a GPX 5000, they hate them. To each their own, I will continue to use the Infinium because I know what it can do.

whylee
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2011-02-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 14, 2011 5:23 pm

I thank everybody for their input to this thread thus far. it is good to know that the Infinium can still generate discusion and that those using the detector are happy with the ability of this unit.

As for Infinium sales, well they just keep keeping on. This detector will go the way of the scorpion and the XLT and be another garrett classic and will continue to be used by all types of detectorists for many years to come.

Ivanll,
I know we rub each other the wrong way at times, but bloody hell, wouldn't life be dull if everybody had the same opinion about everything all of the time, so keep yer guns loaded cobber! Very Happy

Rov! come on mate , make with the 18 incher mono bounce Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 14, 2011 6:06 pm

Adrian, I think even JP admitted on this Forum previously that he did find a nugget/nuggets with his Infinium when he owned one......
If you ever want to start a lively discussion anywhere mate just mention Infinium or Haemarroids <not necessarily in the same sentence> and everyone either has one or knows someone who had one...or knows they dont want one....because they heard someone else said they are a pain in the butt.........
Dont know about you but photos I see of all this gold piled on coils has about as much relevance/interest to me as me attaching my whiting rod to a dead white pointer and taking a photo of it...its the story of how,where when and what depth and with what rig that really counts...as we all know nuggets are not coins and do not have a date imprinted on them...they could have been found anywhere by anyone in any decade....Hoo Roo

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 28, 2011 9:53 am

This is a pic of the 0.15gm gold that my Inf will detect between 45 and 100mm depending on elec interference levels.

Ivanll,
The piece measures 6mm x 3mm x 0.6mm av.
I am begining to feel that the day the Inf responded to this gold at 100mm was a bit of a freak day because the average distance seems to be around the 45 to 50mm mark with the 10 x 14mono. The 5 x 10 does a bit better 60mm, tone is HI/LO.
The vid is still coming.

Infinium LS DSCF3002

The pic is a tad small but the gold is still visable on the cross bar of the 10 x 14.

Adrian SS

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 29, 2011 9:29 am

i bought a garrett INF LS from St agnes when i lived in adelaide, went up into the adelaide hills around
jupitars creek and chappel hill area and didnt find squate with it except bullets ( and a baby possum) lol!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 29, 2011 11:36 am

Roo Shooter,I can show you other Adelaide areas where you wont find squat except rubbish..it says liitle about the Infinium as you wont find any gold with a Minelab either..even though the myth is perpetuated to sell equipment......the tiny Adelaide areas available for legal prospecting are THRASHED and all they leave is their garbage....Landowners take the view if the Government wont allow detecting/ prospecting on their now Heritage Listed Crown Lands then there must be something wrong with it so they wont give permission on their 'Fee Simple' secured lands either ...most are scared of large scale operations showing up as the price of gold escalates..Landowners know they dont own the Mineral Rights in S.A. they just own the surface...I know these fears are held by quite a few Hills Landowners and quite rightly so.....when have Large scale operations ever left land they way they found it....? even though they are supposed to..
...go to Victoria while you still can detect.....or W.A. where its also encouraged by Government...but times are a'changing......The Infinium will detect whatever is under the coil..but it has to be there to detect..its then academic as to the depth it will detect and with which coil IMO....Hoo Roo

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 29, 2011 3:59 pm

thats all good larry, i live in nsw now and sold the garrett anyway, now have a minelab 2100V2 which i dont even use anymore as iv gotten heavly into gold sluicing/highbanking/bango'n! cheers

Back to top Go down