Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Infinium DDs and the Garrett ATX

2 posters

Go down

Infinium DDs and the Garrett ATX Empty Infinium DDs and the Garrett ATX

Post  Guest Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:43 pm

The Infinium DDs are fine to be fitted to the ATX according to Garrett USA, with a bit of ingenuity on the part of the fitter.
The Monos are not advisable and could possibly damage certain ATX electronic components either imediately at switch on or in an indefinate time period.

Back to top Go down

Infinium DDs and the Garrett ATX Empty Re: Infinium DDs and the Garrett ATX

Post  wazza78 Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:28 pm

Hi Adrian. Thanks. Two questions

1. I find it difficult to believe the 8 inch infinium mono won't work on the atx given they are the exact same coil!!

2. Ive been asking this around the place but no answers. Can the atx coils be used on the infinium? I reckon they could. Imagine the infinium with the 20 inch!!

Was

wazza78
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2010-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:01 am

I am only going by what Garrett and one of the USA ATX testers have said. Check with Ivanll I think he may have tried them already.
If the coils are electronically identical then they will work on either detector.
Where did you learn that the Inf 8 inch mono is electronically the same as the ATX 8 inch mono?
The cable impedance, resistance and internal capacitance has to be the same also because a miss match there can cause changes to the timing/timings.
Some people in the past have tried to shorten the length of the coil cables on PI detectors only to discover that they have screwed the sensitivity to certain minerals and metals.

Back to top Go down

Post  wazza78 Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:13 am

Adrian don't know if the coil is electronically similar but the 8 inch is exactly the same as for the infinium. Does Ivan see these posts. I would be interested on his thought of using the atx coils on the infinium. What are your thoughts. Can the atx coil be detached from its casing and put on a normal infinium shaft do you think?

wazza78
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:17 am

Ivanll sees All Things, especially these posts.  Wink 
Go for it give it a shot. With a bit of fiddling any coil can be attached to any detector but that doesn't mean it will work. However, with a PI it could mean that you blow the front end CMOS  Shocked............Well PIs used ta have a CMOS at the front end in my day. Maybe today they have some you beaut Tricky Dicky alien device wot dozn't blow. from too much Back EMF from the coil alien  
To say that you "don't know if the coil is electronically similar but the 8 inch is exactly the same as for the infinium" messes with my brain a bit at this time in the morning?  pale The Inf mono's will work but apparently the ground balance is a bit off and I am sure at this time in my mind that I would not be trying the Infinium monos on the ATX.

Back to top Go down

Post  ivanll Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:27 am

Thoughts to action. Exclamation 

Infinium DDs and the Garrett ATX P1027623-2_250

ivanll
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2009-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post  wazza78 Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:34 pm

Hey ivanll. What about your experiences of using the atx coils on the infinium???wazza

wazza78
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ivanll Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:59 am

A Garrett Rep. or better Garrett dealer will know what Infinium LS coils can be used successfully on the ATX.

Incidentally the supplied ATX 12x10" waterproof DD coil will work just fine on an Infinium LS.

ivanll

ivanll
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2009-05-23

Back to top Go down