Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is a good starting off detector?

5 posters

Go down

What is a good starting off detector? Empty What is a good starting off detector?

Post  Hawk Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:09 pm

Good Morning All,
I am looking for advise on what dtector to buy to begin my new hoby in the great outdoors.Is the minelab2200v a good starting detector or should i be looking for something better.Any advice is welcome as i have no idea what to buy and i hope by joining this forum i will be able to get a good detector and make some new friends.
Thanks in advance.
Regards Hawk.

Hawk
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2011-03-19

Back to top Go down

What is a good starting off detector? Empty Re: What is a good starting off detector?

Post  Goldbait Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:52 pm

Hawk, What is your budget?
Goldbait
Goldbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2010-08-31

Back to top Go down

What is a good starting off detector? Empty Re: What is a good starting off detector?

Post  Hawk Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:51 pm

Thank you for answering my query.Not knowing much about detectors i think my budget should be aprox $2000.
Do you thinkit is enough to get me started and what will it buy.
Thanks in advance.
Regards Hawk.

Hawk
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Goldbait Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:11 pm

you should be able to get a GP series detector in for that price with a few extras.

check out the minelab GP section on this site for information regarding this detector.
Goldbait
Goldbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2010-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post  shelby23 Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:56 pm

Hi
The Minlab Eureka Golds are $1500 area the best of the VLF range
Regards Neale

shelby23
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 685
Registration date : 2009-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:32 pm

G'day Hawk.

Any chance of letting us know what you'll be chasing eg,Gold nuggets,Coins,etc so that i may recommend something?

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Hawk Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:00 am

Hi Kon61,
I would mainly be looking for nuggets .People are saying buy the best you can afford,so i am thinking i might have to
re think how much to spend on my first detector.$2000 might not be enough.

Hawk
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:15 am

Two grang should get you a good Extreem or 3000. Some detector shops sell them for that price with a warranty. Both very good machines and more than enough to start out with.
Chris.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:24 am

Hi Hawke
The 2200v2 is not a full spec machine.You can get a gp3000 for around $2200.
Cheers Dig

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:36 am

G'day Hawk.

Since you have a budget to stick to,Id have to agree with Goldbait and Moonlight on this one.Due to the Duel voltage of the GP Extremes you'll find that they operate smoother and quieter than the SD Series.A good idea before getting into this hobby boots and all is,try hiring or borrowing a detector for a couple of days use,to see if this hobby suits you.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Cal Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:07 pm

Hawk, for the models within your budget (ie as above, the 2200, Extreme and possibly the 3000) there is fairly general consensus that the 2200 is quite good on bigger deeper gold and sort of OK on the smaller stuff, although the threshold operates with quite a jitter compared with the later models; the Extreme is a big improvement on the 2200 for smaller gold and of course the smoother threshold, but many suspect it is lacking in capability for deeper bigger stuff; and the 3000 exhibits the best of both (smoother threshold and just as capable on both smaller and larger gold. Hope this helps.

Cheers Cal

Last edited by Cal on Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added the debated shortcoming of the Extreme (ability on bigger stuff))
Cal
Cal
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2008-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Hawk Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:57 pm

Thanks everyone for taking the time to help me with your good advice.I think i will hire a minelab4500 for a week and look at buying a
good second hand machine.It would be great to catch up with some of you in the future and share a beer in the bush.Do second hand 4500
detectors come on the forum for sale very often as i am fairly sure i will get one when i can.Now i will work out where to go for my first trip with a hired detector.I will do some homework and ask for some advise as to where i might start in WA.
Thanks again,
Regards Hawk.

Hawk
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down