Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking for a VLF Detector ( with very good discrimination ability )

Go down

Looking for a VLF Detector  ( with very good discrimination ability ) Empty Looking for a VLF Detector ( with very good discrimination ability )

Post  hugh62 Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:45 am

This new field i'm on is absolutly soaked in rubbish ,small desciminated tin 1-3 mm across on average .The ground minerilization the 5000 is telling me is mild ,as it's happy to work in special/fine ,thou it can work in Normal ,but will strike the odd hot rock and bit of ground noise .Its all worked reef /hard rock area .Price doesn't worry me ,but it's got to have good discrimination ability as it will have it's work cut out for it  Smile . I did think about dusting off my little xterra 70 ,whilst i think it was a good little detector , Mmmmm i think that there's probably going to be much better.I was curious about the Eureka ,mainly for it's variable freq ,so i had a bit of room to play around with ,but i noticed it doesn't seem to get much off a rap on this forum  scratch  HOWEVER i am prepared to look at all suggestions ,any help appreciated .Cheers Hugh62 .
hugh62
hugh62
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 363
Registration date : 2014-02-09

Back to top Go down

Looking for a VLF Detector  ( with very good discrimination ability ) Empty Re: Looking for a VLF Detector ( with very good discrimination ability )

Post  Guest Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:57 pm

Have a look at the vid of the AT Gold for prospecting. (Clip at far right)
http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_at_gold_library_videos_international.aspx

AT Gold is no go for salt beach work.

Back to top Go down

Looking for a VLF Detector  ( with very good discrimination ability ) Empty Re: Looking for a VLF Detector ( with very good discrimination ability )

Post  hugh62 Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:05 pm

Thanks Adrianss ,watched couple of those vids ,Mmmm hadn't honestly say i'd thought of the AT till your suggestion ,struth that fellow fairly races that coil over the ground ,and a couple inches above it , scratch  woundn't he be loosing a lot of depth ?? 18 khz ,thats the same as my little xterra 70 at 18.75 khz !!!! impressive little finds , ( and espically those specimens )would like to of seen the results of using bigger coils ,8-11 ? how would it go thou on our Australian condtions ?? Mmmm the controls look user friendly enough .yeah it's easy to say dig everything ,but in this case its physically and mentally impossible ,and what ever i get is still going to miss gold .One thing thou that really annoys me with all these detector manufacturer's is in there displays of there discrimination ability's on large pieces of steel ,horse shoe size, etc,struth i'd expect a bloody $10 K-Mart special to be able do that .The AT ,I''ll keep that in mind ,Cheers Hugh62 . Smile
hugh62
hugh62
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:15 am

The ATG is an 18khz metal detector and can be scanned at a pretty fast clip and still get the small stuff.
The detector is no use at the beach because it cannot handle the salt conditions in the All Metal mode. I am not sure about the Disc 1 & Disc 2 modes where salt is concerned.
This detector performs quite well as a coin, jewellery and relic detector, although the AT Pro (15khz) is better suited for that purpose and can be used to good effect on salt beaches and is also not too bad in the lesser iron mineralised gold fields. Both tectors are WP to around 10 foot.

Back to top Go down

Post  hugh62 Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:35 am

Thank you for your input Adrian ss ,Mmmm points taken on board ,thanks .Beach /water capability's don't interest me one bit we've got some unfriendly big lizards up here  Q25  cheers hugh  Very Happy
hugh62
hugh62
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:18 pm

Well yeah they have been know to scoff a few people now and again so if ya come accross a deadun, give ut a scan, might be some rings and stuff inside. pale Q12

Back to top Go down