Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Expert advise please - Private property & coils

+8
mariner3800
kon61
coles525
TheGoldenChild
shelby23
phill
goldenbrown
march
12 posters

Go down

Expert advise please - Private property & coils Empty Expert advise please - Private property & coils

Post  march Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:31 am

Hello all, thanks for all your advice so far, it has been very helpful.
I do need some advice or more information on private property detecting.
I started detecting around 1 month ago now and have been in the most common areas, bendigo,castlemaine,maryborough......but yesturday i thought i would go for a drive to my farm near inglewood and spend the day there.
I haven't been back there since i started detecting and gaining lots of information on where to detect and what ground to look for, i noticed that some parts of the farm resembled the ground i had detected earlier where i have found gold.
So, i pulled out the 5000 with 11"mono and started to detect, with in 15 min i found a .2 pce.
I detected for another 20 min or so then i stopped as i had to leave to get home.
My question is, if i have found a .2, would there be only very small nuggets or could there be even larger ones?
Its private property, has no signs of diggings and its inland from the major road.
I have a inglewood map and it doesnt show that the old timers have been there.Not even close by.
What I have there is a slight incline hill with heaps of quartz all over it and the quartz sort of follows down the incline.
I was detecting the flat end of the hill around 100 meters away and had lots and lots of half golf ball size to fist full size quartz.
The ground is little soft for the first 3 inches then really hard bellow that. It also contained heaps of granular quartz.
Should i fit a larger coil like a 18" nugget finder on the 5000 and try to go deeper or am i getting my hopes up thinking there would be more gold there?
Not sure what to do. Thanks March

march
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2011-02-27

Back to top Go down

Expert advise please - Private property & coils Empty Re: Expert advise please - Private property & coils

Post  Guest Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:42 am

hey march, how deep was the gold and how big? is the gold flat and smooth or rounded and rough? you can tell by the gold how far it has come just by the looks off it. i would just stick with the coils you have at the moment and just try and see if you can find more. if you can get a lend off an 18" off a friend and try that so yor just not throwing moneyout the window.
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Expert advise please - Private property & coils Empty Re: Expert advise please - Private property & coils

Post  goldenbrown Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:44 am

Hi march, sounds like you have a project there. Ground sounds promissing especially if you have found gold. Size doesn't matter because the source may prove richer.
Use the bigger coil on the flat for it is probably deeper gorund. you may need to dig a test hole down to the wash dirt to determine the depth. Could be many feet deep?
Work the hill carefully and see if you can find a run of nuggets that may lead you to the source. You could try the proven method of "loaming" to trace the gold.
Any way, that will keep you busy for a while, good luck.
cheers goldenbrown...
goldenbrown
goldenbrown
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2009-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post  phill Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:50 am

Hey March, a lot of people have detected a lot longer than 15mins for less than .2!
What are you doing in those other areas if you have your own place, from what you describe I'd be hammering the place.
You won't know if ya dont have a go.
Go for 15mins, strike paydirt.... go harder!!!
Cheers, Phill.
phill
phill
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  shelby23 Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:58 am

Hi
Why not arange a get together BBQ for the Local Gold Detetorist on this fouram at your property.
It would be a great social event, you get to meet other detectorist.
You could make it a weekend thing camp fire nights to swap idears.
I have a property and have learnt a lot from other Detector friends.
The way others have looked at my area has enriched my understanding.
I find Gold Detetorist very Respectful.
Gold is where you find it.
I think you would be very excited if you found a Patch on your own Property, so get your Vidio camera fired up and give it a good go.
Regards Neale

shelby23
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 685
Registration date : 2009-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post  TheGoldenChild Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:04 am

Hi march, you need to have an idea where the reef is on the slope. Look out for the bigger bits of quartz ( as sometimes you cant see the reef above ground ), they mean you're really close. Reefs run NW to SE, detect along the downward slope of the reef for all its length and hopefully you find a spot where its shedding the gold from.
TheGoldenChild
TheGoldenChild
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 688
Registration date : 2010-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:06 am

Hi March The advice so far is good advice, but if I may I would like to add a couple more tips. Mark the 2 areas were you first got the nuggets with sticks that you can see quite clearly, then work out from there and if you find more mark them as well. This way you may start seeing a patten and the way the gold is travelling, and also indicate were it is coming from. If you then think you could be onto a patch start gridding. Using first a big coil then a little Joe coil. Also just because you can not see any sign of old digging doe's not mean that the old timers did not try that area, they could have done test holes and not found payable gold and moved on.
Well I hope this will help and GOOD LUCK in finding more.

Wombat

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:06 pm

Stick to ya slopes for starters, working accross the slope starting at the bottom and work your way up the slope in a zig zag fasion. This will ensure you intercept any runs coming down the slope.
The gold may be scattered over the whole slope. You may also find a patch in one section of the hill and a nugget or two on a completley different part of the hill. I once found a nice patch and 200m away found a 29 gram nugget with a .5 grammer near it and nothing else around it or in between it and the patch so you need to cover all likely looking ground.
Cheers, Chris.

Back to top Go down

Expert advise please - Private property & coils Empty Miners Rights Licence

Post  coles525 Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:11 pm

Just asking this to make sure you have all the legal bases covered!

Have you purchased your Miners Rights Permit already?

Remember, even though it's your own private property, you still require a prospecting permit from state government.

Online Miners Rights Issued Here

It's always safer to purchase online, mainly IF you lose the original copy (printout). You can always print off another original version!

2 year permit: $29.90 ($14.95 per year)
NEW 10 year permit: $83.65 ($8.37 per year!)

Also feel free to look into the Prospector & Miners Association Of Victoria (Union), they also have camps and info available to member through monthly meeting and newsletters - http://www.pmav.org.au/

Josh.
coles525
coles525
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2010-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post  phill Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:18 pm

Whooooo Josh,
My goodness! How lucky for March that you reminded him of that one!!!!
Hell, he's already taken 0.2gms off his property, if he dosen't have his permit he could always whip back out there at night and pop it back while no one is looking!
Must keep the government bureaucrats in mind, sure is my first priority.
After all they do such a top job! Especially when they look after all those dollars I donate in taxes.
Just the other day I was about to clean out the gutters on my house, grabbed the extension ladder and put it up and insanely was about to climb up above the sixth rung when my wife spotted that I didn't have my harness on!!!! OMG! What if WorkCover and been flying past in a helicopter and spotted me doing a crazy thing like that! Above 1.8meters above ground requires a harness as everybody knows. Must cover the legal bases. Wow I was sooooo lucky, the fines are enormous these days.....
Don't work for the tax office do ya Josh? Wink
Cheers, Phill.
phill
phill
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:44 pm

G'day Phill.

March is asking for advice about prospecting on private ground and whether we like it or not,laws are laws that we all must abide by and in this case Josh is right.I can assure you no likes coughing up fees unnecessarily,I know I dont but thers a whole lot more to lose here than just 0.2 gram.Where talking Inglewood,where many large nuggets have been found on or near the surface in the past..See what happens if March lobbed on to (hear say) a 200ouncer and the government found out that it was found without a miners right.Ide like to see how march would be allowed to keep it.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  shelby23 Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:59 pm

Hi
What if March found 200 oz nuggets and hid it.
Does the Australian Government send him to a CIA Touchier Unit and give him a good old fashion Water Boarding?
We have ways to make you talk

shelby23
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 685
Registration date : 2009-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post  march Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:03 pm

Thanks for the info fellas, the more the merrier.
Do you think i should also check out the rest of the land even though there are no signs of quartz? I really should dig a hole and see whats bellow yeah?

To answer stoppsys question, the little tacker is .2grams and smooth triangle shape around 1 inch deep.
And to answer Josh, yes mate i have a miners right, got it done before i started and got it for 10 years.
Having and paying a miners right is peanuts compared to what i have to pay running a excavation business.
Gov have there hand out for everything.
Thanks again guys.

march
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  phill Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:09 pm

Hi kon61,

You are right, March is asking about prospecting advice on private land, namely his private land.
I belive he was asking for advice about seeking gold and bettering his chances of doing so, becoming more proficent and adept at the craft so he could increase his chances and ability to retrive gold.

I must off compleatly missed the bit about him asking about LEGAL ADVICE.

Maybe members should remind him about whether or not he has a current drivers licence, is his car registered and what about its current roadworthyness.

kon61, this is a prospecting forum about prospecting, most members are pretty clued up about basic legalities.

I'm sure March would have jumped onto the "legal eagles forum" if he had questions about his civic responsibilitys (again,which I didn't notice in his questions) but he didn't, he got on this forum to ask about FINDING gold.

P.S. a famous man once said "Rules are for the obidience of fools and the guidance of wise men"
Phill.
phill
phill
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Expert advise please - Private property & coils Empty Private Property & coils

Post  Guest Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:29 pm

Gidday March
I know you asked for expert advise but I thought I would stick my 2bob's worth in anyway LOL!.Seeing that it is your place and barring fencejumpers take your time if gold is there it has been there for a few years now.Have a look around the area ,you have pointed out there is a hill with quartz on it so this is a start but also check surrounding ground, take the wand for a walk and see what it might tell you. Your place most certainly didn't look like it does now when the gold formed millions of years ago.You have the edge on most of us because you own your land,as was said use the coil you found your gold with and check depth of the ground as you go.Depending on the size of your place the hill maybe only one of many spots I hope the gold fairy rains happiness upon you
Regards Dave
cheers cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  mariner3800 Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:50 pm

Hi March,

I think I can read between the lines where you are coming from??, you mentioned you have an excavation business, do you want to do a little more that pick the ground and swing your detector??

Mate the best way to get around all the BS is just dig a road to nowhere on your property and detect what comes out and map out out exactly as you find targets. The next step may be to ask for more advise??

I'm always up for a weekend away, playing with big toys!!

Pete
mariner3800
mariner3800
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1177
Registration date : 2010-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Cal Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:46 pm

March, if Mariner is correct and you are contemplating the use of a big yellow detector, from the brief description you've given, in legislative terms, any presence of Native Vegetation (and the clearing of) is likely the largest potential problem.

Cheers Cal
Cal
Cal
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2008-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post  march Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:38 am

Woooooo guys, hold your horses.
I haven't said anything about using machines or or doing big time mining!
I just asked a simple question and now its starting to blow out too far.
All i wanted to know is that if i found a little bit of gold, could there be more?
I'm only a begginer, not an expert so please only relevant answers to the question.

march
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  llanbric Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:50 am

"could there be more?"

Yes.

llanbric
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 414
Registration date : 2008-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:46 am

march hi
this might sound like a cliche but gold is where you find it. there may be the best indicators in the world on your property and you never find another piece or there may be no indicators on your property and there is heaps of gold there. just get out there and swing your detector. Inglewood was big gold country.
if you don`t have a miners right,get one. gold is the property of the state and when you buy a $29.90 miners right for 2 years the state transferes ownership of any gold you find to you.
cheers
dave

Last edited by phoenix on Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:01 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

Back to top Go down

Post  vasilis Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:59 pm

Hey March - now you will understand the true meaning of 'GOLD FEVER' open a question and you will be surprised by the amount of options you have.
It's great stuff hey !!
I think you need to look back at Kon's advice if you are really looking for gold.
Otherwise take a good look at your block and make a methodical plan over your area and fit it in over a period of time whilst you are also doing your farm maintenance and or the picnic days you have there with friends etc.
I have been to many areas over the years and have walked away from good gold because I became pessimistic and did not put the coil on the ground. This still comes up again and again and just when I do lighten up and just swing it anyway - BINGO !!!
Should I say more! Have fun and take your time. It's not going to go anywhere but the gold price is going somewhere.
cheers Vasilis
vasilis
vasilis
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 265
Registration date : 2010-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:15 pm

March.
The great Jack Lange always looks for the small gold because it usually leads to bigger gold & patches, if you can get jack's dvd's & he explains all about what to look for & best of luck.
Shelby, I hope your joking, I have seen the worst of prospectors that is why it is so hard to access properties.
Cheers Greg

Greg
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 219
Registration date : 2009-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post  mariner3800 Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:18 pm

Hi March,

Apologies March, you mentioned that you were in the excavation business and I saw something in your question that was not really there.

Mate, as a newbee in anything, the best way to advance your knowledge is surround yourself with information and people who have done it before, listen, read & research then make your informed decisions when you feel confident, trust me you will spend allot of time going round and round if you don't. The other alternative, gee don't know another as this method has worked for me in business and many hobbies & sports I have had.
If you are looking for more info just PM me and we will talk further

Just Do It

Pete

mariner3800
mariner3800
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1177
Registration date : 2010-11-04

Back to top Go down