Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Going on Private Property

+8
kon61
FoolsGold
gollstar
Vb4meta
MS
evan2010
rc62burke
Jonathan Porter
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Going on Private Property Empty Going on Private Property

Post  Guest Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:15 am

i have been doing the right thing asking the owners to go on there land for detecting, they always say yes and come back anytime. the problem is i have been on this paddock and have found some good gold, i have showen the owners my findings. one off the owners have said something to one person and they have told another, this person is well knowen for moonlighting with a few other people from melbourne on this land. i know the person who's going to do it but i can't say nothing to them unless i catch them. the owner off the land lives about 20 mins away from the block so it's going to be hard for them to watch it. the problem is they will leave it in a mess and that will be it. i do have other paddocks that i have got onto but i don't wont to get in the s##t for trashing it. all i can do is tell the owners.
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Going on Private Property Empty Re: Going on Private Property

Post  Guest Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:32 am

If the property owner wants a share then you need to show him gold and any other valuables this is what I've done in the past. If your getting along well with him then gently suggest that if he lets others on as well as you and they leave a mess behind that you will also report that to him.

If you think he may tell others of your finds then thats not quite fair on you. If you have no arrangments what so ever, other than he lets you detect on his paddock then its up to you what you show him.

May be you sudda just showed em some rusty bits of tin and a few bullet shells and lead pellets. affraid

Last edited by davsgold on Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : more info)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:41 am

have been thinking that. the other thing is i'v been told to keep the house locked up and lock the gold up as they are more likely to break in and take the gold.... it makes me very p##ed off when i hear that. i'll just load the guns and if they try when i'm home they will get a bit off a shock when they come in.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:48 am

Stoppsy, maybe you could get a big Bull and put on the block (train it to not attack you though). That would be a nice surprise for any moonlighters Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:55 am

was talking about that the other day as well lol! might have to train my staffy up to make sure no one gets in the house yard, she jumps all over you and licks you to death, she would let anyone in our yard.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:07 pm

Buy a solar powered electric fence and string up tape everywhere near your spot, do it in such as way to make it look like the property owner has set it up for animal control (make sure you check with the owner about it being OK to do so). Bit of a dilemma about what you tell the owner but honesty is always the best policy, if the owner does not require you to report in and you have no arrangement with them on gold you find then maybe hold off showing gold straight away to provide yourself with a bit of a buffer or give the owner a percentage in exchange for exclusivity or at least some confidentiality.

It is always a problem this type of thing, but I advise against dishonesty as it will always come back and bite you on the bum. Embarassed

JP

Last edited by Jonathan Porter on Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 801
Registration date : 2008-11-25

http://www.theoutbackprospector.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:24 pm

that's it jp, i'v allways done the right thing and they allways say to me come back as much as you wont. i said that i was going to cutthem in with the findings and they said what you find is yours. i might have a talk to the owners about doing that. i would love to catch them out there might do a few late night shifts out there even. the other thing is i don't know how many will be with him... if they see lights they should turn and go the other way...

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:38 pm

will go out tomorrow for the hole day and just flog the ground as much as i can and hope i don't miss much. that would be about the best thing to do i think, early start late finish and hope heaps more gold.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:34 pm

Stopsy, talk is cheep, these guys might or might not raid your patch. My advice is to do as you said and get it off as soon as you can. But be calm! Don't panic, get what you can and try not to upset the farmer too much. Keep it light, a cheery hello and a smile and a chat for the cocky (farmer). Do the right thing, be extra careful filling holes etc. Your average Cocky is no mug, they know who's doing the right thing and who's not. The word of mouth network that farmers have would defy belief. There will be other paddocks and other days and honesty, persistence and patients will win out in the end if your luck holds.
Sparrowfart sunny

Back to top Go down

Going on Private Property Empty What to do

Post  rc62burke Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:23 pm

Hi Stoppsy
Take a bag full of 3mm ball bearings, scatter them around, when you go back take a big magnet rigged on a trolly to drag around & pick them up then detect, I reckon this will drive those guy's nut's, I know how you feel, I have exclusive rights to a large property, the owner & I know that people are sneeking on I would love to be a fly on the wall when he catches them, he has seen someone from the chopper when mustering just to busy to do anything, good luck get in & clean it out as good as you can, But above all maintain your own integrity.
cheers
Lee
rc62burke
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Going on Private Property Empty I never told you this

Post  evan2010 Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:51 pm

Gday Stoppsy, sounds like you have done everything right. If you ever catch em in the act I wouldnt approach them but let a few shots into the air from a distance. They more than likely wont come back for fear of gaining a new hole they dont want
evan2010
evan2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2010-05-09

Back to top Go down

Post  MS Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:53 pm

Hi Stoppsy
Yes I can understand how frustrated you must be feeling, and JPs suggestion of an electric fence, even just put it up a tree and concealed will cause enough interference to drive them crazy, however if they are smart operators they can get around that with the right coil and settings.
Its best to always keep your finds close to your chest till you have cleaned up your spot, then divide up the gold with the owner at the end.
Gold can bring out the worst in some people just the same as fishing spots, be careful who you tell and don't take it too serious , if someone knows your spot and is prepared to go in without permission you already know they have no morels.As for them trying to get the gold you have already found and break into your house, I doubt they will be that stupid, more likely just playing with your head, if not call the police , also you could just be sitting in your lounge room preparing for a hunting trip and if a situation arises where you felt you and your family where in danger well that could have another outcome and I expect the concern for lead would far out-way their lust for gold .
On another note I saw some big gold found this year and the finders just started to scratch the surface on private land, they had permission and all was fine until the farmer saw what they found, they were happy to share with the farmer but he wasn't and kicked them off quick smart and told them never to return.
Mark
MS
MS
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 791
Registration date : 2009-03-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:29 pm

that's the thing is i have 2 young boys, if someone was to break in i have my knives set up around the house and 2 10 shot pump actions 22s. i might have to get a few guns from the farm house and bring them in i think. these people are stupid enough to try and break in that's the problem. i'll just go out tomorrow and go over as much as i can as it's a big block. the word off gold does bring out the funny people.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:05 pm

stoppsy wrote:that's the thing is i have 2 young boys, if someone was to break in i have my knives set up around the house and 2 10 shot pump actions 22s. i might have to get a few guns from the farm house and bring them in i think. these people are stupid enough to try and break in that's the problem. i'll just go out tomorrow and go over as much as i can as it's a big block. the word off gold does bring out the funny people.

You got that part right anyway

Back to top Go down

Post  Vb4meta Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:01 pm

I prospect with a mate of mine cos of some dodgy experiences in the past, find yourself a prospecting buddy you can trust and go shares, we only live on this planet once mate so enjoy it and find someone who will appreciate it and your friendship.Doing it alone in those situations is asking for trouble.

Vb4meta
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2010-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:22 pm

If you suspect there's going to be trouble at you home, go and report your suspicions to the police. DON'T, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, START WAVING FIREARMS OR WEAPONS AROUND!!!
Just how much have you pulled out of this property? If it's only a few grams, why be bothered.

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post  Vb4meta Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:34 pm

I agree with the above if its that outta control and threats have been made call the cops and then get a mate in, cos unfortunately cops cant be everywhere all the time.I cant believe the bullshit some ppl say and do eh..

Vb4meta
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  gollstar Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:09 pm

Hi stoppsy

I say its a long way from jumping a fence at night too breaking into some ones house with or without people in it, unless of course youve found somthing your not telling us about, now heres a few things you could do [on the mild side] find out where they are parking this could be done by leaving dry sticks on the track so they break when they drive over them, also if theres a recent fallen tree drag it right over the track so that know one can get past without moving it, then once when you have found where they park i would scratch out a bit of ground and leave a strip of wood with nails hammered through it with some dirt over the top if you could manage to get all four wheels they would surely be in the poo, however if theres any chance that they will think you did it, dont do it because theres a very real chance they might get upset about the tyres and the inconvience of getting four wheels before sunrise, or this is what i would probarly do is watch them at night and when they move far enough away from the car go take a leak in the petrol tank or some sugar in there,

But the most inportant thing is dont get yourself in trouble with the law or get into a fight with a couple of drongos over a few smegs of gold the best thing for you is you can detect there during the day when they have to do it at night,

ps being able to sleep with both eyes closed is underrated.
gollstar
gollstar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 697
Registration date : 2009-04-15

Back to top Go down

Post  FoolsGold Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:36 pm

A lot of suggestions have been made, some of them are a bit too much. Just go and get what gold you can and be thankful for that.

FoolsGold

FoolsGold
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:42 pm

G'day Gents.

Easy there boys;Lets not let paranoia set in and spoil all the fun.
Id hate to be moonlighting on one of your patches Gollstar! With all those set booby traps,what chance
would i have for survival?....

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  gollstar Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:04 pm

Booby traps ? you make it sound as though id have punji traps and trip wires attached to flares everywhere, which would get you into trouble with the law for sure, which is what i said, dont get into trouble with the law and dont confront a group of people over some bits of gold, so the first part of what i said was tempered with the second half, the second half cancels out the first if you get what im saying, besides i wouldnt have a patch hanging around if i had ground that was producing i would have a tent on it and my computer, air mattress, generator etc etc and i would be cleaning it out and besides if its on public ground in Australia no one has the right to deny anyone else from that land.
gollstar
gollstar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 697
Registration date : 2009-04-15

Back to top Go down

Post  mallee00 Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:14 pm

Learn to keep your mouth shut and save yourself all the hassles, sounds harsh but its true. Mallee00 and the mutt

mallee00
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 208
Registration date : 2008-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:21 pm

the thing is if they go out and do my spot there's nothing i can do unless i catch them, but when it comes to family and my house i do loose it a bit. they think that it's just me that go's out to this spot but it's me and my mate that go out. the thing is we have pulled a fair bit out off there, would be 70+ bits between the two. the bloke must just think it's me and this is why i have been told to keep my house locked up couse they will break in to still your gold,, (this was from a family member off his that told me). the reason is because off how much it's worth. it's just sad that people will come to this just to for fill there habits.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:24 pm

mallee00, the thing is the only people that know about this spot is me and my detector mate and the person who has the land. the person who has the land had said something to one person and that was it.

Back to top Go down

Post  Vb4meta Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:25 pm

"days of our detecting lives"" Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Shocked

Vb4meta
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:37 pm

stoppsy you say you can`t do anything unless you catch them , what are you going to do if you catch them? break out the rifles? like goldnomad said,unless you`ve found something that your`e not letting on (which is your right) you are only talking about maybe ½ ounce of gold.mate i think its time to step back and take a breath.
dave

Back to top Go down

Post  mallee00 Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:41 pm

Stoppsy. i rest my case, while some people may consider your finds a point of interest or conversation and see no harm in telling others, you now see the implications. If a landowner gives you access to his property with no share agrement, why show him large amounts of gold, you are only asking for trouble, next he is telling friends in the pub or has a relative that has a detector or will buy one if he thinks he will find a fortune and you get locked out. Show them a gram or two and say its not great but you will come back and keep looking. Mallee00 and the mutt

mallee00
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 208
Registration date : 2008-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post  FoolsGold Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:45 pm

stoppsy wrote:................would be 70+ bits between the two. ...............

Yeah but 70 bits could be a few grams or it could be more or even less, it just sounds like it ain't worth it. Anyway you should already be asleep, cause you have an early start in the morning for your big detecting day out - good luck.

FoolsGold

FoolsGold
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:46 pm

phoenix you know when someone tells one that you found say 6 bits, then by the time it get to another it's person streched out to 50. they have just got told about me finding heaps off gold. the thing that i'll do if i catch the is just ring the person who has the land and they can do what they wish.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:48 pm

FoolsGold i was thinking that but i'm use to having no sleep...the fun off kids.

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next