Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Understanding Soil Samples

2 posters

Go down

Understanding Soil Samples Empty Understanding Soil Samples

Post  rrene70 Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:55 pm

Hello

Can someone please explain to the term (Shallow Auger Soil Samples)
I have often seen maps which have this reference in it.
eg: 647610 Gold340.00ppb (from a map that Detrakozi added for the Heathcote area)

What is the first number in reference to (647610) ?
What would be deemed as a high ppb for Gold ?

Cheers

rrene70
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2011-01-28

Back to top Go down

Understanding Soil Samples Empty Re: Understanding Soil Samples

Post  phill Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:11 pm

Hi rrene70 and welcome to the forum, I am guessing that your first six figures would be a grid reference eastings and northings (647-east 610-north) these are in thousands of meters (generally) and taken from a universal datum i.e. location at the begining of a zone, whichever one your map is in.
340.0 ppb as you are probabaly aware would be Au. in parts per billion of whatever its in i.e. 1 part gold in 340 billion parts of soil/dirt/rock whatever. Shallow auger sample = drill shallow hole, analyize what comes out.
This is rough and may not be a perfectly correct answer to your question but I'm sure there are many experts on this forum who can correct me or answer in a better way if I'm too far off.
Phill.
phill
phill
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Understanding Soil Samples Empty Re: Understanding Soil Samples

Post  Guest Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:34 pm

rrene70 wrote:Hello

Can someone please explain to the term (Shallow Auger Soil Samples) Cheers

A small drill (Auger) has been used to get a soil sample from a shallow hole, probably like the depth of a post hole or similar. A series of these holes are drilled over a given area and the soil samples taken and analized for whatever mineral they are looking for, in your example gold.

(647610) ? is a grid reference number so thay can relocate the sample site, and the ppb is parts per billion, try and look for ppm, parts per million, as these are much higher concentrations. What is considered high is any spot that has a higher reading than the surrounding samples.

An example from google search is, "Panned concentrate sample 30145 contained 0.51 ppm Au (105 µg Au). This panned concentrate result is very high." "In the metric system, a microgram (µg , mcg or sometimes ug) is a unit of mass equal to 1/1000000 of a gram (1 × 10−6), or 1/1000 of a milligram"

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Understanding Soil Samples Empty Shallow Auger Soil Samples

Post  rrene70 Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:09 pm

Thank you both for your reply, it all makes sense.

Cheers

rrene70
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2011-01-28

Back to top Go down