Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

gpz7000 cant use extra deep with severe soil setting (VIC type soil) ?

+4
kon61
IGotBigNuggets
Mechanoid
kevlorraine2
8 posters

Go down

gpz7000 cant use extra deep with severe soil setting (VIC type soil) ? Empty gpz7000 cant use extra deep with severe soil setting (VIC type soil) ?

Post  kevlorraine2 Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:01 pm

ok, so i read the instruction manual,  page 21 has a bit of disturbing information.  the note (I) says -----

-- the gold mode function will automatically change to HIGH YIELD, and will be inaccessible if the ground type function is set to SEVERE.  you will not be able to select a different gold mode until the ground type is changed to either NORMAL OR DIFFICULT.
----

doesnt that mean you victorians will be wasting your time putting it into SEVERE, and EXTRA DEEP, to chase those big nugs down deep? as the machine will automatically  hunt in the shallow mode of HIGH YIELD?
and what do they mean by "and will be inaccessible"? what will be inaccessible?

i cant figure this one out,  anybody out there smarter than i please advise ... kev Mad Shocked

P.S.  kon61  - the above might be very dissapointing to you

Last edited by kevlorraine2 on Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:26 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : correct spelling)

kevlorraine2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 504
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

gpz7000 cant use extra deep with severe soil setting (VIC type soil) ? Empty Re: gpz7000 cant use extra deep with severe soil setting (VIC type soil) ?

Post  Mechanoid Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:10 pm

I think what they mean is that if the ground type function is set to SEVERE the gold mode function will automatically change to HIGH YIELD, and the gold mode menu will be locked in HIGH YIELD (ie the ability to change the setting will be locked out (inaccessible).

Howzat?
Mechanoid
Mechanoid
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2014-12-13

Back to top Go down

gpz7000 cant use extra deep with severe soil setting (VIC type soil) ? Empty Re: gpz7000 cant use extra deep with severe soil setting (VIC type soil) ?

Post  kevlorraine2 Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:15 pm

yes, that probably has to be it, thanks mechanoid.
doesnt solve the problem of not being able to go deep in severe mode. sounds like severe mode is like "cancel" in previous models.

kevlorraine2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 504
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post  IGotBigNuggets Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:22 pm

I'll test this tomorrow.
IGotBigNuggets
IGotBigNuggets
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2013-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:47 pm

I hear ya kevlorraine2,but the most important thing for me to know,is that does the GPZ 7000 perform well in ground type "Difficult" when searching for larger slugs at greater depth over highly mineralized ground,than what the 5000 does,with a similar sized coil? Cause if its found to be pretty much on par with the 5000 on the deeper,larger,multy oz slugs of gold,over grounds of high mineralization,well,all I can say,is that its pretty much all but over,for hunting deep large gold here on Victorian mineralized soils. Now you'v got me concerned Kev.

Cheers Kon.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:57 am

Maybe if you use the detector the way it was designed to be used you will have some success.
The Zed is not a PI and does not have the masses of timing and sensitivity selections of the GPXs.
Choose the ground mineral conditions and the detector will do the rest but remember that if you select Severe ground minerals then your choice of sensitivity and depth is limited to High Yield and this means that the detector will produce the most gold from the Severe ground as compared to selecting Difficult which may be noisy as, over severe ground.

Maybe there is another Welcome Stranger a bit deeper and not far from where the orig was found...That ground is not all that hot.

If you want to find the now almost non existant giant nuggs at extreme depth in extreme ground then you better stick to your GPXs or even an old SD2000

Just some thoughts.

Last edited by adrian ss on Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  jet clean Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:59 am

The way i see it if this new wam bam gpz cant get down into the heavy mineral ground whats the point of buying one im with con on this one.

10,700 is a lot of doe for a unit if it is no better in the noisy ground than a 45 5000 .

Was in coiltek on the weekend and was told that it will get down into ironsone red clay type ground, well time will tell .

A lot of prospector,s in vic who chase big gold in noisy ground will be most upset if the new gpz is as noisy as hell iin this type of ground .

The big gold is still down there exp in highly mineralized grounds how would i know you may ask , dozars dont fail.

jet clean
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2014-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:10 pm

No doubt about a dozer, it can get down pretty deep.
I agree that for 10.7 G one should expect something special aye.........I guess ya haf ta ask yerself. Has ML ever put out a bad detector?..... aside from the Sterling with its slow auto retune,Rolling Eyes  and even then once you got the hang of it the thing worked quite well.

I guess we all have differing ideas of what represents Severe ground. There is ground here in the Can that will test any metal detector to the limit but then there is Severe ground in WA that will cause the 5000 to quit whereas severe ground in the Triangle is a tad noisy  but detectable. So what standard has been chosen to represent Severe ground to the Zed7000?

But then as you said. For 10.7 grand the beast should handle with ease anything that it can be subjected to.
It was not long after the release of the SD2000 when big nuggs started  to come to light. So maybe give the Zed a bit of time?

Dollar for dollar inc inflation the 7000 is not as expensive as the SD2000 was but people are baulking at the price.....Are we financially worse of today than during SD2000 Heydays??

Back to top Go down

Post  Sharkbait Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:23 pm

adrian ss wrote:No doubt about a dozer, it can get down pretty deep.
I agree that for 10.7 G one should expect something special aye.........I guess ya haf ta ask yerself. Has ML ever put out a bad detector?..... aside from the Sterling with its slow auto retune,Rolling Eyes  and even then once you got the hang of it the thing worked quite well.

I guess we all have differing ideas of what represents Severe ground. There is ground here in the Can that will test any metal detector to the limit but then there is Severe ground in WA that will cause the 5000 to quit whereas severe ground in the Triangle is a tad noisy  but detectable. So what standard has been chosen to represent Severe ground to the Zed7000?

But then as you said. For 10.7 grand the beast should handle with ease anything that it can be subjected to.
It was not long after the release of the SD2000 when big nuggs started  to come to light. So maybe give the Zed a bit of time?

Dollar for dollar inc inflation the 7000 is not as expensive as the SD2000 was but people are baulking at the price.....Are we financially worse of today than during SD2000 Heydays??

Adrian,we are probably financially better off now,but back when the SD2000 came out,it was a whole new era,with the goldfields not having been hammered by every PI machine under the sun..
The nuggets were ripe for the picking back then Razz
Sharkbait
Sharkbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 924
Registration date : 2013-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:22 pm

I guess that is true.
Even though the VLFs nailed some seriously big nuggs and lots of them, there was a limit to the type of ground that you could detect with them and then out came the PIs that breezed through the iron mineralisation like X-Rays. But now it is not quite the same thing because we are still using magnetic fields and eddy currents to locate metals and the very nature of the ground minerals places limits on the size of the nuggs and the depth that they can be detected using magnetic fields and their effects on coil.
In the past people were quick to see the advantages of the PI in iron minerals but now the advantages of the new tecta are not so obvious and so every body is a bit cautious.

I noticed in the manual that it states that the best mode is High Yield and Severe ground.
I would have thought that this setting would be a beginners setting. A setting which will find some gold but not large or deep?.... Maybe I read it incorrectly??

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:11 pm

adrian ss wrote:I noticed in the manual that it states that the best mode is High Yield and Severe ground.
I would have thought that this setting would be a beginners setting. A setting which will find some gold but not large or deep?.... Maybe I read it incorrectly??

G'day Adrian

From what we observed yesterday with a few test and some detecting with the GPZ7000, High Yield and Normal Ground setting got by far the best distance in an air test.  900mm above a 7.5 ounce solid nugget sitting on the ground.  At his height is was still a good signal, and because you knew that the target was sitting there you could still get a response even higher than.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:01 pm

From what I understand is that if you  select Severe ground then you have no choice of other than High yield mode. or in other words you cannot select High Yield in  Normal or Difficult.

From the manual:

Severe
This setting is intended for use in areas with
extremely high levels of mineralisation. This
setting should only be used in situations
where operating in the Difficult setting
requires you to raise the coil above the
ground to eliminate loud ground noise.
When this setting is selected, the Gold Mode function will
change to High Yield and appear greyed-out. The Gold Mode
function will be inaccessible until the Ground Type is changed
to either Normal or Difficult.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:25 pm

Yes, so if you chose Severe ground type you only get a preset timing so to speak which is High Yield the other 2 timings if you want to call them that are taken away until you go back to a different type of ground choice.

I don't see a problem, am I missing something.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  bedrock Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:22 am

the two remaining timings will be available with the software upgrade to the 7100...and with the 7200 we'll get discrimination Smile)
bedrock
bedrock
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1063
Registration date : 2010-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Inhere Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:59 am

bedrock wrote:the two remaining timings will be available with the software upgrade to the 7100...and with the 7200 we'll get discrimination Smile)
My information is that decent discrimination may get there in the 77500.......or......maybe not! Rolling Eyes
Inhere
Inhere
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 941
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:18 am

adrian ss wrote:From what I understand is that if you  select Severe ground then you have no choice of other than High yield mode. or in other words you cannot select High Yield in  Normal or Difficult.

Argonon,

The shingles must be mucking with your skilz.

The manual isn't saying that at all - it's saying exactly what it's saying in the excerpt that you yourself posted, just after saying that... which is:

adrian ss wrote:
From the manual:
When this setting is selected, the Gold Mode function will
change to High Yield and appear greyed-out. The Gold Mode
function will be inaccessible until the Ground Type is changed
to either Normal or Difficult.

In other words, you can most definitely select High Yield in Normal or Difficult.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:29 pm

When Severe ground minerals is selected the only gold mode available is High Yield. You cannot have Difficult or Normal selected when Severe is selected.
I read the instructions as saying that if you select High Yield then the detector will automatically select Severe ground minerals and you will not be able to select Difficult or Normal.

I dunno, maybe we are saying the same thing but in a different way....In any case I have asked ML to clarify my confusion.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:45 pm

adrian ss wrote:When Severe ground minerals is selected the only gold mode available is High Yield.
Correct
adrian ss wrote:
You cannot have Difficult or Normal selected when Severe is selected.

Correct - They are all Ground Type settings and you can only have one Ground Type selected at a time.

adrian ss wrote:
I read the instructions as saying that if you select High Yield then the detector will automatically select Severe ground minerals

Nay - you have that bit topsy turvy... It's exactly the opposite: if you select Severe in the Ground Type menu, the detector will automatically select High Yield as the Gold Mode.

adrian ss wrote:
and you will not be able to select Difficult or Normal.

Difficult and Normal can both be used in conjunction with High Yield.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:07 pm

lenoil has it correct, Adrian is correct except where he is wrong. Laughing Laughing

So Adrian you need to re read this bit below, and what lenoil has said right.

"Nay - you have that bit topsy turvy... It's exactly the opposite: if you select Severe in the Ground Type menu, the detector will automatically select High Yield as the Gold Mode."

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:34 pm

Yas I az got it all now. I wuz right where I wuz right and wrong where yez wuz right.  What a Face
I think I was crossing wires between gold mode and ground type.
Reckon I will have to get a special set of instructions just fer me when I get my Zed. Q12
ML suggest to disengage High Yield when searching over salt lakes. But chickned out on saying whether the tecta was good or bad over salt.

Back to top Go down